40K Video Battle Report: Phalanx Necrons vs. Nurgle Chaos Space Marines

Here we have Frankie taking his tried and true Nurgle forces out against the Phalanx Necrons, this time with a list built for mobility. We also walk through the Bay Area Open Scenario one more time to make sure it is explained fully.

15 Responses to “40K Video Battle Report: Phalanx Necrons vs. Nurgle Chaos Space Marines”

1. Rantimus December 23, 2011 5:17 am

Necrons look awesome and so does the terrain!!!!!
    Great game!!! The rules look a lot of fun!!!

Reecius December 23, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks! And yeah, the Bay Area Open scenario is a lot of fun, we find that is adds a lot of tactical depth to the game.

2. krisbot4000 December 23, 2011 12:37 pm

sucks about the mishap, was a good game until that happened.
    Oh well.
    Lets see some footdar vs necrons! 😀

Reecius December 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Yeah, I thought I had it up until that point! Oh well, that’s the way it goes sometimes, hahaha.

Yeha, good idea, actually. We will try that out.

3. Rathstar December 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Another great battle report. I’m interested to see what you put into the list instead of the monolith and the ghost arc. Having a 2nd annihilation barge would add some nice firepower, and either wraiths or lychguard for close combat.

Rathstar

• Reecius December 24, 2011 9:53 am

A close combat unit would be the best bet, imo. Wraiths or even lychguard. Lychguard need a veil or some means to get up field rapidly. The main issue is that they tend to get munched in combat before swinging, at least that’s been my problem with them. Our next plan is to try an all out deathstar with them, see if that works.

4. krisbot4000 December 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah ive seen people downplaying the lychguard but with those dispersion shields and a res orb even against ap3 ords youre getting a 4+ invul and a 4+ reanimation, which is just about on the same level as a seer council rolling fortune, and they wreck pesky FNP units in HTH with those str5 power weapons.
    Ive seen matt over on miniwargaming run them and they seem to be quite effective.
    the value of a tough counter assault unit cannot be underestimated!

• Reecius December 24, 2011 9:54 am

They definitely do pack a punch! We’ll keep trying them out to see how to best run them.

5. Cyric December 27, 2011 12:03 am

Reecius, I’ve just started breaking into necrons, and I was hoping I could get you to post up the list you used in this game with unit load outs. I know you went over some of it in the start, but I would love to see it on paper so I can wrap my head around it and read up on parts of it.

Id really like to play test a couple of set ups and this one looked like a lot of fun. I’d also be very interested in seeing what you come up with when you modify the list for including a close combat unit.

Thanks!

Reecius December 27, 2011 1:10 pm

No worries, hope this help! It is a really fun army.

Lord: Phase Shifter, Scythe, Scarabs, Orb
      Lord: Phase Shifter, Scythe, Scarabs, Orb
      Cyrptek: Veil, Shroud
      Cyrptek: Veil, Shroud

Warriors x 20
      Warriors x 20
      Warriors x 5
      Ghost Ark

Scarabs x 10

A.Barge
      A.Barge
      Monolith

The list will work better minus the Monolith and Ghost Ark, to be honest. I would throw in more Scarabs, or Wraiths for those points, maybe a 3rd A.Barge.

Let us know how you do with them!

6. Son of Dorn December 27, 2011 1:20 am

I’d like to see how some Praetorians would work to fill the gap. The jump infantry status means they’d be fairly mobile along with the rest of the list and they’d have a nice AP2 counter-punch. Just have to screen them with the main blobs to make sure they don’t wind up vulnerable. Great battle report though. 🙂

Reecius December 27, 2011 1:07 pm

We’ll try some Praetorians out, I played against Tastey Taste with his, here: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2011/11/16/video-battle-report-tastey-taste-vs-reecius/

They really aren’t terrible, just a bit too pricey for what you get, IMO. We’ll try them out again.

• Son of Dorn December 27, 2011 10:42 pm

They took out a couple squads and that was done with a player who’d not run the new Necrons yet. I was suggesting them for this list as I think they compliment it for mobility. A mix of Wraiths with some Praetorians to back them up would make for a nice punch and counter punch that goes with the theme and play style of the list. 🙂 Be worth testing out, anyway.

Reecius December 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah, I agree! We will have to give that a whirl for sure.

• Son of Dorn December 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Just had a discussion with a friend about the Praetorians and they ought to put the fear of the star gods into MEQ units if used right. 🙂