40K Video Battle Report: Dark Angels Deathwing vs. Footdar Eldar

Here we have a member of our Eastbay Wargamer’s League playing his incredibly well painted Deathwing against my Footdar.

14 Responses to “40K Video Battle Report: Dark Angels Deathwing vs. Footdar Eldar”

1. Dan Katz December 16, 2011 12:23 am

That Deathwing army was awesome! Crazy as the paint job on the Raider was….he should really drop the dreadnought and LR in lower pt games like this and just spam deathwing with a mix of weapons for wound allocations.

1 TH ss 1 Lightning claw 1 lightning claw with cyclone 1 sarge 1 storm bolter. Allows for versatility to take on all comers and better chance to not roll a 1 for regular saves. Overall, game was very balanced, Footdar stomp on another MEQ army!

Congrats Reece,another well earned. I would like to see your list against a GK purifier/ Dragowing if you havent fought anyone yet, I think it would be an awesome matchup, close to the end.

Reecius December 16, 2011 12:56 pm

I have not lost to Grey Knights yet with my Footdar. Eldrad just stops their psychics and Harlies Waste Purifiers.

I have found Eldar and Tau to be the best counters to Grey Knights.

Thanks, though. Yeah, that Deathwing army was amazing, so well painted. Andrew played well, the dice were just so unkind to him.

• krisbot4000 December 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey Reecius!
        Love the footdar vids, I’m also an avid footdar player and Ive been wondering why wraithguard never seem to make their way into your lists?
        Ive had great success with them. Interested to hear your thoughts!

Reecius December 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey Krisbot, I don’t use Wraithguard because I don’t have any! Haha. I think they can be awesome, and most Footdar players use them. I will get some as I really want to get a Wraithseer to run a Ghost Army, but for non IA units, the Wraithguard provide a great anvil unit for holding an objective and with a Seer and Eldrad, can pack a punch in combat, too.

I use lots of infantry units because they provide me with bulk to the army. If someone has the counter to your Wraithguard, you can be in deep trouble. My infantry units give me lots of small arms fire and mobility for taking objectives.

Either way, I think you can be just fine.

What list do you run?

• krisbot4000 December 16, 2011 6:50 pm

This is what ive been running lately, its not completely optimized but it does pretty well, and has the tools to handle pretty much anything.

1999pts

Howling bansheesx10-160

Heavys- 3 (490)
            ———

warwalkersx3-210
            6x eldar missle launchers

Wraithlord-155
            eldar missle launcher, bright lance
            2x flamer

wraithlord-125
            eldar missle launcher, wraithsword
            2x flamer

Reecius December 16, 2011 9:10 pm

I think that list looks really solid. I personally never leave home without an Exarch with Firepike and Crackshot on my dragons, but that’s me. How do the Banshees do for you?

• Andrew December 19, 2011 10:56 pm

I’m the Deathwing player – I know the list is not optimal. Unfortunately, I am restricted by what I actually own. If I had the models, I would drop the Dread, LRC, and Libby for another terminator squad or two and some Ravenwing elements.

Reecius December 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah, but the units you have are amazingly painted!

2. krisbot4000 December 16, 2011 6:51 pm

oops. thats 3 troops not 4. typo.

• krisbot4000 December 16, 2011 9:49 pm

The banshees actually do better than youd expect them to being on foot.
      Typicly i try to deploy them out of LOS or run them behind another unit(Quins/WG) for cover saves, but its inevitable that your infantry units are gonna get shot at on occasion.
      I mean thats just the hazards of footdar, not everyone is a harlequin and even rangers fail their saves right? 😛

Ive seen banshees (with the aid of doom obviously) actualy school genestealers, harlequins, halberd toting GK’s, Daemon Princes, and pretty much anything else not packing a stormshield or T7+.
      striking at I10 and ignoring cover with power weapons can absolutely not be underestimated.

That said they arent the most competitive choice,
      harlequins are hands down a better cc unit in most situations (unless they get charged by banshees lol ) and have the huge advantages of ignoring terrain/hit&run/Vot.
      Fire dragons hit harder, and have a more reliable threat range but offer nothing in counter assault potential.

Honestly I run them because I love the models, dont like spammy lists, and they honestly arent bad. Theyre just vastly overshadowed by harlequins.

Reecius December 16, 2011 10:17 pm

I can see it. I too, love the models and have some myself, but never got around to painting them. I can totally see them rocking against Grey Knights (apart from Paladins) as they give a big screw you to halbreds! I agree though, that Harlies are just better. Hopefully in the new book, they make Banshees something to fear again. At least give them 2 attacks!

3. krisbot4000 December 17, 2011 12:17 am

Amen to that.
    Havnt seen you run any warp spiders either, what are your thoughts there?
    to me they seem to be pretty good at destroying transports and rocking pretty much anything scatter-walkers would.
    Granted the 24~ threat range isnt quite on par with the walkers and they wont have as many shots.. but they are BS4 and get that amazing warp jump in the assault phase to help them hide from retaliation or cover huge distances to contest with. (12+d6run+2d6 warps woot!) they can also hit and run if they get caught in hand to hand (unlike the walkers that just kind of die most the time).

I think i like them, but i just dont believe ive gotten the hang of them yet.
    Walkers are definatly easier to use with the good ol guide+point+spray=LOLmake20savesplease.

• Reecius December 17, 2011 9:25 am

Warp spiders are great! A bit pricey, but mobile strength 6 is no joke. A lot of competitive footdar players use them to great effect. Having a unit that cam go wherever you need them amd poor on flak fire is just so useful. I really like them.

• Legion December 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi Reece,

I wonder, how this footdar list is handling with mech guard. Have any experience with it? Maybe when you face IG you change something in the list?