Hey everyone, Reecius here to talk about a topic that many folks expressed quite a bit of interest in: Primaris Marines. And as always, check out the Tactics Corner for more great reviews and articles.
Primaris Marines, or Space Marines 2.0 as I like to call them, are the progression of the iconic Space Marines of the 40k universe. They’re bigger, badder and have some seriously amazing models. However, they’ve struggled a bit on the tabletop in a matched play setting as 8th has rolled on. With the changes in Chapter Approved and the affordable easy to build kits (such as the new Aggressors) that have come out for them, I think now is a great time to take a closer look at Primaris Marines in a matched play setting and do some experimentation with them to put them to the test. Can you play Primaris Marines in a competitive setting and succeed? Well, let’s find out!
The plan with this project is to see what it would take to buy, build, paint and play a Primaris Marine army. The team here at Frontline Gaming will combine our efforts and resources to take you on this journey with us, and we’ll document it as we go, sharing what we’ve learned.
Here’s the plan in an easy to consume format:
- Build a generic Primaris Marine army that can be used with any Chapter of Marines so we can try out all the various options.
- Record how much it cost to put the army together from the Frontline Gaming web-store.
- Get it painted to our new and very affordable Tournament Standard paint level with the FLG Paint Studio.
- Record test games with different Chapters and lists and share thoughts on what worked, what didn’t and what changes will be made.
- Take the army to at least one tournament to put it to the test in the wild.
- Analyze the results and assess where Primaris Marines are at in the current meta based on this data.
So this should be quite a bit of fun and very informative. I get loads of questions about how to play Primaris Marines so I think this journey will be interesting to a lot of folks out there. What units are you most interested in seeing played? What color do you think we should paint the army? Which set of core Space Marine rules do you think will work best for Primaris Marines? I am excited to try this out!
And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!