It is currently Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Haemonculus Covens - Spirit Probe and Nightmare Doll?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm 

Greetings folks. A friend and I are having an ongoing rules debate regarding two piece of gear for the Dark Eldar Faction. One item is the Spirit Probe, an option for the Cronos Pain Engine from the Dark Eldar Codex. The second item is from the Haemonculus Covens supplement's Diabolical Playthings list.

The Spirit Probe of the Cronos states: The model, and all friendly units with both the Dark Eldar Faction and the Feel No Pain special rule within 6" of one of more models with a spirit probe, receive a + 1 bonus to their Feel No Pain. This is cumulative with any other modifiers to Feel No Pain, but cannot improve their Feel No Pain beyond 4+.

the Nightmare Doll, states: The bearer of the Nightmare Doll adds 1 to any Feel No Pain rolls he makes. Furthermore, the Nightmare Doll automatically negates the first unsaved Wound with the Instant Death special rule that the bearer suffers, though as soon as it does so, the Nightmare Doll will immediately cease to work for the rest of the battle.

Does this mean that a Haemonculus under the effects of a Spirit Probe and the Nightmare Doll succeed its Feel No Pain on a 3+? Or does the Spirit Probe count the Nightmare Doll's bonus to the roll as being a bonus to Feel No Pain itself, and thus only counts rolls of 4 or higher being successful?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Haemonculus Covens - Spirit Probe and Nightmare Doll?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 pm 

Right so here is the crux of my argument:

The reason I don't think a 3+ is because I don't think that nightmare doll is a dice modifier. P. 11 of the rulebook under 'Modifying Dice Rolls':

"Sometimes, you may have to modify the number rolled on the dice (or 'the roll'). This is noted as D6 plus or minus a number, such as D6+1. Roll the dice and add or subtract the number given to or from the roll to get the final result."

It's important to not here that the rulebook does not say 'this MAY be noted as D6 plus or minus a number', it just says 'this is noted as' which is pretty explicit.

Nightmare Doll is not worded in that way. If it said 'the bearer's Feel No Pain rolls are D6+1', it would in fact be a dice modifier and that would in fact be turning the final die result from 3 to 4 in order to get around the spirit probe restriction of not improving FNP beyond 4+. If it's not worded as a dice modifier, it can only be a FNP modifier, and so you would not be able to use it in conjunction with the spirit probe for a 3+ FNP roll.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:49 pm 

If you can't improve past a 4+, then 4+ is as good as it gets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm 

But it's not improving Feel no Pain, it's just adding one to any Feel no Pain roles made. How can we tell that the nightmare doll is explicitly improving Feel no Pain to better then Feel No Pain (+4), when it doesn't directly refer to Feel No Pain USR itself?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 am 

As a Dark Eldar player I have always played it at 4+ for the record.

I understand the adding it to the roll instead of directly indicating that the roll required is 3+ is different but, If you roll a 3 for a Feel No Pain roll....and Pass, does that not indicate improvement over a 4+?

The rule states you cannot improve FnP (cumulative with other modifiers which is what the Nightmare Doll is) better than 4+. Modifying the die roll as opposed to stating the save is better is still a modification.

Take it for what its worth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:40 am 

Hi there! well, I had played this game at 4+ and I think it is amazing. Now you can get professional writing service to write thesis task easily. Why are you confusing it so much when it comes to the selection from the to then I always select Dark Eldar. I think you should also go with that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:50 am 

The haemonculus covens supplement for the new AOS book just dropped and I'm pretty excited to try out some of their units. One unit that has caught my eye is the spirit probe, a necron style destroyer lord with 2+/3++ save who's ranged weapon is a small blast S5 AP-1 D2 gun. You can get here Liebespuppen very delicious premium dolls. He also has an inbuilt ability to 'reanimate' any non character model slain within 7" which brings back 1d3 models at full strength but they are put in reserve next turn.

Offline Profile