Ok, lets take a look at what we know about 9th edition so far.
1. Smaller table size
2. Fewer models.
3. Fewer detachments.
4. More immersion through terrain and crusade
5. Even more detailed models
With the facts laid out, and 9th edition on the way, we shouldn’t speculate about what the new edition will actually bring. That is set in stone at this point, and GW will trickle this out to us one drop at a time until we are salivating for new models, paint to decorate them with, and new rules to memorize. The best mental exercise is to figure out what kind of 40k we’ll be playing in the far future!
GW is announcing a downsizing trend: so what does this mean? If we look at the tea leaves, we can attempt to divine the future of our hobby
- Bareknuckle Boxing wearing cosplay gear
2. A virtual reality Warhammer 40k edition, where you get to live out your grimmest, darkest fantasies as any model in any faction in the game.
Releasing real-life Imperial Knights and having players duel in football (soccer) stadiums (This is also the most likely scenario for the pro 40k scene in 13th edition)
3. A Honey I Shrunk the Kids style edition, where we downsize OURSELVES to live out a game among our models. Trusted loved ones will maneuver the models for us, or, for a price, you can magnetize voice control devices to each model. You can feel like Space Marine Chaplain, beseeching your models to move better, shoot better, and punch better.
4. Time travel to the distant future, where we’ll actually participate in the grim darkness of the future, where there is only war.
The smaller and more immersive the game becomes, the more we should become prepared to be a real part of it. Buckle up.
And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!