Signals from the Frontline #686: 9th ed 40k on the Way!

Reece and Frankie discuss the exciting news of 9th ed 40k!

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST. The podcast and YouTube video-cast air at 9am, PST every Friday.

Show Notes

Date: 5-27-20

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at a discount! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at store.FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• Let’s chat about 9th!
  • GW released some rules info for the upcoming AdMech from the next PA!
  • GW released info on the upcoming Chaos Knights rules from the next Psychic Awakenning!

Upcoming ITC Events

Upcoming 40k ITC Events

Upcoming AoS ITC Events

Tactics Corner

Completed Commissions

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
20 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
rvd1ofakind
rvd1ofakind
2 years ago

So you can’t wipe out a squad if you see a flag?

mark waterhouse
mark waterhouse
2 years ago

Reece I will trust you if you say this edition is an improvement and more balanced than 8th was, as I know you are all about balance and aren’t partisan to any given faction.
You want to see healthy competition across the tournament scene primarily.

But what I’m seeing at the moment the signs aren’t promising, sounds like anyone playing a horde faction is going to have a very hard time of it, not being able to tag vehicles or monsters to stop them shooting is huge.
Also the Aeldari are going to become incredibly brittle when they can’t stack negative modifiers.
I’m also concerned that they are removing the troop tax, as historically that just means everyone bringing their most lethal units to the table.
Personally I need to be sold on 9th as it seems too soon, and 8th was probably the best edition in living memory. So I don’t see the need. This seems to be echoed in the community.

rvd1ofakind
rvd1ofakind
2 years ago
Reply to  Reecius

Will the morale or terrain changes help hordes(20+ model units)?

gvcolor
gvcolor
2 years ago
Reply to  Reecius

I’m actually in shock that GW is willing to clamp down on the -1/+1 Good for them! This is the kind of moderation in game design that makes for a good, fun game – something GW can just never do. -2 or more to hit is flat out a no-fun game – in fact it isn’t even a game at that point it’s bad design.

Of course I’ll still btch about units able to re-roll failed hit and failed wounds, because that’s Broken AF and bad design as well… but it does sell models 😉

adrien nusca
adrien nusca
2 years ago
Reply to  Reecius

If hordes are as bad as you say they are in 9th, then perhaps next CA hord models will cost less ?
Back to 6 point boyz for example ?

It is bad game design if an entire aspect of 40k goes down in efficiency during a change of edition. It was kind of the revolution of 8th edition, because 7th and 6th was all about elite stuff vs other elite stuff, and those editions, not many players would want to go back to them…

The meta can always save hordes. When everyone gears up with Anti Tank weapons, or even damage 2 weapons, then surely a horde army ca win no ? If not then they have really botched the game design for 9th IMHO

Worst comes to worst, a CA point per model fix could put the game on its feet real quick, so it is not a big deal, unlike previous editions).

N.I.B.
N.I.B.
2 years ago
Reply to  Reecius

I wouldn’t be sad if hordes would take a back-seat. It’s not my cup of tea pushing around 130+ Tyranid models and try to win a game on objectives before I’m tabled, while unable to kill much, within a 3 hour time frame.
I’m a slow player and it’s more fun stomping around with monsters or the cool mid-sized models.

Shas’O
Shas’O
2 years ago
Reply to  Reecius

Hey Reece, what are your thoughts on the removal of the troop tax? This is the one concern I have, since I’ve seen this not work well in the past.

Joshua Hodges
Joshua Hodges
2 years ago

Man I am both super excited and super sad about this release. I had to stop playing at the start of 8th edition because my gaming group abandoned the store I play at and went to another that closes too early for me to ever get a game in. So I’m super excited for the change(especially the app and free digital rules with the books) but I know deep down my models will still probably never leave the shelves…

Pyrothem
Pyrothem
2 years ago

Exciting times with new models and new rules to figure out the ever changing Warhammer puzzle that we love to over think.

Damn it I only wish Geoff were here to rant and burn at the whiners online and bring his unique way of explaining things that would get genuine belly laugh out of me.

Jmac
Jmac
2 years ago

Bring back the leaky banana! He will give us the leaks we need!

Pyrothem
Pyrothem
2 years ago
Reply to  Jmac

And it will be wrong leaks for some Age of Sigmar thing that he mixed up in his head.

Miss the crusty old bastard. 😛

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x