Chapter Tactics #89: Comparing Post FAQ Faction Data to Pre FAQ Data

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today Pablo and the crew go over all of the data and look at how the big September FAQ changed the meta.

Show Notes:

• Want to check out the stats we talked about in the episode? Click on this link.
  • Don’t forget to check out our new sponsor! Broken Egg Games, and Rum Runner Wargame Painting and Conversions.
  • Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mention.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Commercial music by Music by: www.bensound.com
  • Intro by: Justin Mahar

Visit their store!

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
16 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
rvd1ofakind
rvd1ofakind
3 years ago

I think the “Brandon lost the Castellan before shooting him so he didn’t need him to win” is misguided. The opponent had to overextend to kill the Castellan turn 1 which eventually lead to his demise. AND that’s with Brandon flubbing the saves really bad. The Castellan still did it’s job by making the opposing general get his army out of position.

Trantatrus
Trantatrus
Reply to  rvd1ofakind

for once I agree with Rvd. The Castellan has more impact than just its guns, I thought we’d well and truly established this by now

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
3 years ago

Until they change the costs… Imperial soup and Eldar will always have a clear advantage.

That said, I love my tau. I’m waiting on CA to give some love, Eldar are almost at the sweet spot, I think something increased in costs/decreased profile would make them perfectly balanced, but the imperium are just so all over the place…

I think free relic needs to go to greats % of points, also allow only one “relic” stratagem so parity with mono codex factions is achieved. Likewise I think CP needs to be restricted to used only on the same faction that the detachment that generates it is from…

Honestly, with the above and a point adjustment on the knights… I think the meta will be pretty well off.

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
Reply to  Kevin Lantz

I think point wise most of the eldar stuff is questionable balanced or slightly not… but I think changing things like wave serpents etc would change the meta for the better.

abusepuppy
Reply to  Kevin Lantz

I think most Craftworlds units are fine in Craftworlds detachments- the Hemlock is probably a bit too cheap (though I think the existence of Smash Captains, Orks, and Thousand Sons goes a long ways towards mitigating its presence), but for the most part they are pretty fine. The issue is that Ynnari can abuse certain units in extremely strong ways that Craftworlds cannot. I hope that Chapter Approved changes Ynnari, not Craftworlds, because that’s where the problem is.

Zweischneid
Zweischneid
3 years ago

Tarantulas are probably one of the “better” Space Marine screening units, as the opponent cannot protect himself from shooting by trapping them in combat.

Useful against those Genestealer Cults, etc.. and much cheaper than trying to have an un-trap-able screen with Assault Marines or something along those lines.

abusepuppy
Reply to  Zweischneid

I would call them more of a pushback unit than a screen- there aren’t enough models in the unit to truly “screen” things and prevent them from getting in on you, but they certainly have some value in terms of occupying space and preventing arrivals near your valuable units.

Zweischneid
Zweischneid
Reply to  abusepuppy

Yeah. Essentially what I meant. Zoning out Tzaangors with DMC, Da Jumping Orks and other early deepstriking units early in the game, without the risk of them being abused to protect 40 Cultists or something like that from your own fire power.

It’s a variant of the “immobile” rule that probably should be on all of them (e.g. Drop Pods, not that this would save them, but at least they’d stop being an actual asset to opponents looking for respite from your shooting).

BaronLandoAdjutant
BaronLandoAdjutant
Reply to  abusepuppy

Agreed. I’d love to see a Ynnari Codex so that Aeldari units can have a seperate points costs when they are taken with the Ynnari. It would make balancing Soulburst so much easier.

Trantatrus
Trantatrus
Reply to  abusepuppy

You would lose sleep if you weren’t needlessly correcting someone for something that didn’t matter at all

Venkarel
Venkarel
Reply to  Zweischneid

The lexicon is still up in the air, but the most common usage I have heard is screening for preventing movement through a unit/area and zoning for using units to prevent reinforcements from arriving in an area. Thus you would use scouts to screen a knights movement or use a unit to screen a different unit from being charged. But you would zone out deep strike, outflank, da jump, etc. Sometimes the rolls are combined in the same unit obviously.

Brakhal
Brakhal
3 years ago

I like a lot this episodes with statistics. But this time you weren’t so deep in numbers as previous (I understand, there was a lot to talk about). Could I ask for faction win-rates results in this time data?

Petey Pab
Petey Pab
Reply to  Brakhal

Hello! All of the numbers are in the link in the show notes.

Brakhal
Brakhal
Reply to  Petey Pab

I didn’t saw it. Thank you!

NinetyNineNo
3 years ago

Apropos of nothing much, where is Sean’s accent/diction from? I swear it’s fine tuned to perfectly blend in with background noise when listening on headphones.

abusepuppy
Reply to  NinetyNineNo

Midwest/western USA with a healthy dose of Floridian lurking in the background. I imagine it’s the pitch/tone that makes it blend in so well, since low registers tend to be harder to distinguish to start with in my experience.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x