Signals from the Frontline #610: BAO 2019 Registration Opens Next Week!

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST. The podcast and YouTube video-cast air at 9am, PST every Friday.

Show Notes

Date: 9-26-18

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at a discount! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at store.FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• This is the last week to grab a new Jungle FLG Mat at that sweet 20% off discount!

• A new Necron model coming from Forgeworld, the Seraptek Heavy Walker!

• Also, Kira the Huntress inbound for Clan Escher from Forgeworld.

• Coming up soon from GW we have more Kill Team expansions and a new boxed set: Wake the Dead featuring Eldar vs. Primaris Marines and featuring two brand new models: a Spiritseer and a Primaris Lt.

• As we mentioned last podcast, the BAO 2019 is movin’ on up to a new and much larger venue at the well established KublaCon! Tickets go on sale Monday, October 1st which is next week so be sure to get ready to snag one if you plan on attending as this event tends to sell out very quickly. What do we have to offer for the new event?
    • Thursday 40k RTT
    • Sunday 40k RTT
    • A Friday, Saturday 40k Championships event with more space and that will have a finals day on Sunday similar to the LVO
    • a Long War Doubles Sunday 40k event
    • A Saturday, Sunday 40k Narrative event
    • A Thursday AoS mega-battle
    • A Friday AoS Doubles event
    • A Saturday, Sunday AoS Championships event

• The SoCal Open 2018 is a month away! Grab a ticket and get ready to have a good time at this awesome event. And yes, to those who’ve been asking, the impending GW 40k FAQ will be in play at the SoCal Open.

• We’ve kicked off an AoS learning league. It will be a very laid back, slow grow league. We plan on meeting up on Wednesday evening at FLG to get our hobby on and build and paint roughly 250pts every two weeks. We’ll play games as we go, snap photos of our hobby progress and share our thoughts on what works and what doesn’t. If anyone in the San Diego area wants to participate, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org.

Upcoming ITC Events

Upcoming 40k ITC Events

Upcoming AoS ITC Events

October 2018

40k ITC Top 10

Click here for full rankings.

Rank First Name Last Name Points Events
1 Nick Nanavati 755.16 5 of 5
2 Mike Porter 721.36 5 of 5
3 Trent Northington 692.04 5 of 5
4 Matt Root 691.07 5 of 5
5 Archon Skari 650.81 5 of 5
6 Joshua Death 644.8 5 of 5
7 Nick Rose 620.54 5 of 5
8 Geoff Robinson 619.99 5 of 5
9 Daniel Olivas 617.7 5 of 5
10 Nick Gower 617.09 5 of 5

40k ITC Hobby Track Top 10

Click here for full rankings.

Rank First Name Last Name Points Events
1 Lou Rollins 422.14 4 of 5
2 Matthew Bodnarchuk 387.13 4 of 5
3 Jeffrey Merrick 348.7 4 of 5
4 Nick Gower 327.37 4 of 5
5 Eric Dionne 309.01 3 of 5
6 Antonio Cedeno 307.41 4 of 5
7 David Danuser 306.17 4 of 5
8 Mike Genoni 290.4 3 of 5
9 Scott Rumple 289.29 3 of 5
10 Shawn Prosser 286.89 4 of 5

AoS ITC Top 10

Click here for full rankings.

Rank First Name Last Name Points Events
1 Joe Krier 531.97 5 of 5
2 James Thomas 446.05 4 of 5
3 Matthew Pashby 439.81 4 of 5
4 Mathew Jones 439.17 4 of 5
5 Joshua Harvey 427.39 4 of 5
6 Steven Hyche 419.67 4 of 5
7 Ken Eubanks 417.31 4 of 5
8 Alexander Gonzalez 415.73 4 of 5
9 Jarrett Zazuetta 401.56 4 of 5
10 Randall Nelson 388.51 4 of 5

AoS ITC Hobby Track Top 10

Click here for full rankings.

Rank First Name Last Name Points Events
1 Philip Verduzco 248.57 3 of 5
2 laljit sidhu 208.52 2 of 5
3 Joseph Halfacre 173.36 2 of 5
4 Josh Lara 170.36 2 of 5
5 Jon Christenson 161.9 2 of 5
6 Frank DeLoach 158.62 2 of 5
7 Scott Reed 155.07 2 of 5
8 Joshua Harvey 150.5 2 of 5
9 Ben Nelson 146.37 2 of 5
10 Josh Greenfield 124.35 2 of 5

Shadespire ITC Top 10

Click here for full rankings.

Rank First Name Last Name Points Events
1 Mike Corse 333.98 3 of 5
2 Matt Everhart 330.9 3 of 5
3 Michael Rundles 329.17 3 of 5
4 Brandon Ulick 325.46 3 of 5
5 Andrew Everhart 320.07 3 of 5
6 Tony Field 311.3 3 of 5
7 Josue Ibarra 299.46 3 of 5
8 Mike Melody 294.57 3 of 5
9 Sean Ratner 282.87 3 of 5
10 Adam Brazzell 280.43 3 of 5

Tactics Corner

Completed Commissions

• These lovely miniatures painting commissions were painted by the FLG Paint Studio!

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

17 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #610: BAO 2019 Registration Opens Next Week!”

1. Pyrothem September 26, 2018 6:35 pm #

Man I really want a Seraptek Heavy Walker to have a place in my army the model is sweet!

Was hopping for a way my Necrons could deal with knights in this meta but after looking at the gun the Strength 8 makes me very sad.

At first I thought it would be AMAZING but after rolling the dice to test and then confirming it with math it is a big let down. Against just a index knight with a 5++ you average 10.6 wounds. Others have found that you have a only a 1.3% chance of killing a 5++ Castellan in one turn. Now against a codex knight that can rock a 3++ you will do about 4.7 wounds a round and you got a 0.74% chance of killing a proper Castellan. (I’ve seen scratch tickets scams with a higher %)

I really want this thing to see play so here’s hoping that the other weapon option will have the power to stand up the the Knight meta.

I could be very wrong and this thing was never supposed to have a good offense and will be an army buffer like the T Stalker.

Reecius September 27, 2018 9:34 am #

I wouldn’t judge it only by its ability to take out Knights. Those weapons are good vs. nearly anything with the combo of high damage and volume of shots.

• Pyrothem September 27, 2018 10:59 am #

Agreed, like I said at the end maybe it is not made to be an Anti- knight at all.
        Just hoping and wishing for a way to compete with knights with my Necrons. So far no luck.

2. rvd1ofakind September 26, 2018 7:39 pm #

About Necrons – it’s pretty bad. The popular opinion according to top players is that they are the worst codex army (because others can get allies that carry them). Even Jessica Bowman has abandoned them and she was pretty much synonomous with Necrons.
    A big part of their cost is RP and it is really bad because the opponent has 2 ways to ignore it:
    1. Kill a unit. (which is the main objective of the game – kill a unit per turn)
    2. Surround them. You can only RP within coherency. (Making RP basically useless vs a melee horde like tyranids/chaos)
    Finally, I’m a part of a lot of Facebook groups and wow, the Necron one has about 5 “selling my army” posts per week. it’s crazy.

• rvd1ofakind September 26, 2018 7:47 pm #

Oh yeah and Necrons are hardcountered by the current meta – knights. Their anti-vehicle is really ineffective and Knights are really good against the quantum shielding rule.
      Also, Nick Nanavati has said “I can win a GW with an army that has 0 guns. I don’t think I can do it with Necrons”. YIKES.

Reecius September 27, 2018 9:36 am #

They have some issues, I agree. It’s not all doom and gloom, though.

The biggest issue for me is how hard it is to get CP for them. If they could take 5 man units of Warriors that would go a long way, IMO.

3. Kevin Lantz September 26, 2018 9:08 pm #

I feel like we just did the bao lol

• abusepuppy September 26, 2018 10:43 pm #

I mean, it wasn’t _that_ long ago, just a couple months. But they put the preorders up fairly early each year, ’cause they always sell out quick.

Reecius September 27, 2018 9:37 am #

Yeah, and the BAO is moving forward on the calendar two months as well and the Con sets registration, not us so we didn’t have much of a choice in the matter.

4. Ishagu September 27, 2018 1:44 am #

It’s too early to pass judgement on that model’s rules, and it’s also very wrong to simply compare it to a single dominating force in the current meta that may or may not be adversely adjusted in the near future.

Against anything that isn’t a Knight with a 3++, that Necron walker will be erasing two units a turn.

Also, we haven’t seen the full set of rules or defences yet, or the cost.

Reecius September 27, 2018 9:37 am #

Agreed.

• Pyrothem September 27, 2018 12:15 pm #

Yup I might be looking at it the wrong way. The Knight meta has made my army an almost auto lose when I see one or two of them across the table. Won a few by playing the mission but against a truly competitive opponent I am sure I would have lost those as well. So I am a bit blinded by it I fully admit that.

I really just hope it is good enough to see the table top because of how damn cool it looks. It would be a crying shame for it to end up like the poor Monolith.

Reecius September 27, 2018 12:36 pm #

Knights are very strong at the moment, no doubt. Have you tried the Pylon? It smokes Knights.

• Pyrothem September 27, 2018 1:25 pm #

The group let me proxy it for a few games and it unfortunately did not help. Theoretically it should be the perfect counter but only one game did it live to turn 3 to finish off a Casty.

That 3++ means you have a just a 44% chance of just one shot going through for a very impressive 16 damage. So the next turn I finish it off huzzah! Then the damn Zombie knight gets up and operates at full. Sigh.

This is why Smach Captians work so well because even with a invulnerability save they have many attacks to force a failed save roll then fight again to kill Zombie Knights. We shall see what the FAQ does but I don’t think they will change it based on just one armies inability to deal with them.

Reecius September 27, 2018 1:34 pm

The get back up strat is very strong, yes, but not a certainty. However, I agree, it is on my list of strats that are a bit much.

5. mrmattywoodz September 28, 2018 8:08 am #

Will there be Warhammer Underworlds at the BAO? of Kill teams? I live two hours away and will come for either!

Reecius September 28, 2018 8:20 am #

If we can find a TO for it we’d be happy to.