Chapter Tactics #45: Orks Doing Well at Warzone Atlanta!

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today PeteyPab interviews the top Ork player at Warzone Atlanta right after his awesome 4-1 performance.

Show Notes:

• Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mentioned.
  • Chapter Tactics is back! With Weekly episodes and a lot of tactical insight, this is your place for all things 40k in 8th edition.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Want more tactical information about the new edition? Check out our 8th Edition article archive to help get a leg up on the competition!

SoCalOpenSlider

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

19 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #45: Orks Doing Well at Warzone Atlanta!”

1. Cephalobeard November 13, 2017 7:52 am #

Hearing whispers that the winning list may have been an illegal one, due to a Primaris psyker taking a Cadian relic.

These illegal lists are really putting a blemish on things, accidental or not. Just keeps happening.

• GeekmasterK November 13, 2017 8:28 am #

This is why I’m glad GW is working on an official list-building app for 40k. I just wish they would hurry up and finish it. Until then, though, it’s important to check your list several times over, and if possible, have other people review it for legality.

Reecius November 13, 2017 10:32 am #

Yeah, we need an official list building app for sure. Even those these minor errors really don’t change that much, the rules are the rules.

• David Hayden November 13, 2017 7:31 pm #

I was at Warzone and had a blast. I didn’t face the top list or see it played, so I don’t know anything about that.

I can tell you that they evaluated my list ahead of time and made me pay for the Spirit Stones on my Hemlocks. I disagree with that call, but it’s fine. Removing 20 points wasn’t going to break my list or anything.

Reecius November 13, 2017 7:37 pm #

FWIW, we rule you have to pay points, too.

• David Hayden November 13, 2017 7:41 pm #

I had thought you guys were doing the opposite. Maybe there was a change along the way that I missed.

I think GW needs to be a little more specific with a few of these situations. I don’t like the idea of paying for wargear on models that don’t have the option for taking any. The cost should be included with the model.

• winterman November 14, 2017 1:03 pm

There’s an FAQ for Index Space Marines that makes them pay the points on a Combat Shield ‘ability’ on the champion in the command squad. This is the only official answer on this sort of thing, and its what I have been going by as a TO until something else comes out contrary. I agree though RaW it doesn’t make sense to pay for it.

• Horton November 14, 2017 3:43 am #

We had a great game!!

2. Requizen
    Requizen November 13, 2017 8:37 am #

My buddy has been crushing with Orks around here. Took second at Michigan GT, been a real terror at local events with his mix of bodies and artillery.

Reecius November 13, 2017 10:31 am #

Orks are great, they have everything you need to win games.

• martin November 14, 2017 2:01 pm #

Boyz and a handfull of the support options are doing OK. vast sections of the index (including pretty much all the vehicles) are massively overcosted. Buggies and Koptas used to be cheap and cheerful, now they just make me sad!

3. Horton November 14, 2017 3:42 am #

Warzone: Atlanta was a great event. There were many different armies that did well. Just because IG had the most battle points does not erase the validity of the other armies that were there.

• David Hayden November 14, 2017 12:02 pm #

There were a lot of excellent armies. I was surprised by some of the ones that were doing well.

I think I was a 10″ Kharne charge away from possibly going 4-1.

• Horton November 14, 2017 1:02 pm #

No doubt. Somtimes, Kharn just goes on a rampage!

4. Matt November 14, 2017 6:04 pm #

Went to Warzone as well – there were also some pretty rough lists as well, between a crap load of super chickens, Magnus & Mortarion combos, all 3…… not knocking the Ork guy he did great, but it also is a combined score of battle points, painting and sportsmanship. He did win best sportsman and a nicely painted army. A lot of the ultra competitive lists (like the top 20) heading into the final round were knocking each other off, allowing the mid range folks to bump up with combined scores.

• Horton November 15, 2017 4:14 am #

Yes. There were many lists that could have won. That is a good thing!

• David Hayden November 15, 2017 1:28 pm #

As far as battle points go, I finished 28 even though I went 3-2. If I hadn’t lost to Horton (darn that Kharn!), my Craftworld army would have finished with a darned good battle point ranking.

First thing I did when I got home and got some sleep was tweak my list to make sure I have some units that can camp my backfield objectives while the Wraithguard push forward.

• David Hayden November 15, 2017 1:29 pm #

Hit submit too soon. My point was that I was only able to rank that highly on battle points because the top armies were all knocking each other around.