Preview: 40k Video Bat Rep: NEW Eldar vs. Death Guard

We just finished filming a video bat rep featuring the NEW Eldar in a Footdar Brigade vs. Frankie’s new mechanized Death Guard list! The battle will air Monday at 9am PST on our YouTube channel. We played ITC Champion’s Mission #2.

Frankie is busting out a new version of his Death Guard, this time rocking a mechanized list.

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Total
Battalion Detachment Death Guard       Command Points 3     1530
Daemon Prince with Wings (Blades of Putrefaction) HQ 170 1 170 Malefic Talons 10 1 10
Malignant Plaguecaster (Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality) HQ 110 1 110 Corrupted Staff 0 1 0
Foetid Bloat-Drone Fast Attack 99 1 99 2x Plaguespitter, Plague Probe 59 1 59
Foetid Bloat-Drone Fast Attack 99 1 99 2x Plaguespitter, Plague Probe 59 1 59
Plague Marines Troops 19 8 152 Bubotic Axe 5 7 35
Rhino Transport 70 1 70 Combi Bolter 2 1 2
Plague Marines Troops 19 8 152 Bubotic Axe 5 7 35
Rhino Transport 70 1 70 Combi Bolter 2 1 2
Plague Marines Troops 19 8 152 Bubotic Axe 5 6 30
Rhino Transport 70 1 70 Combi Bolter 2 2 4
Plagueburst Crawler Heavy Support 110 1 110 Plagueburst Mortar, Heavy Slugger, 2x plaguespitter 40 1 40
Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment Death Guard       Command Points 0     470
Mortarian (Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality, Curse of the Leper) Lord of War 470 1 470 0
Totals     33 1724       276 2000

0 Firepike 20 1 20
War Walkers Heavy 50 1 50 Shuriken Cannon 10 2 20
War Walkers Heavy 50 1 50 Shuriken Cannon 10 2 20
War Walkers Heavy 50 1 50 Shuriken Cannon 10 2 20
Totals     94 1448       551 1999
Command Points: 12       Detachments: 1

Who do you think will win?

28 Responses to “Preview: 40k Video Bat Rep: NEW Eldar vs. Death Guard”

1. winterman October 26, 2017 9:14 am #

Look forward to this one. Champions missions I assume?

Reecius October 26, 2017 9:20 am #

Yes, ITC Champion’s Mission #2.

• winterman October 26, 2017 9:32 am #

Oh whoops lol, reading comprehension.

Reecius October 26, 2017 11:11 am #

All good, I added it after you commented, haha.

2. Beau October 26, 2017 9:16 am #

Wow that is one of the more diverse eldar lists I have ever seen.

Reecius October 26, 2017 9:19 am #

Yeah, the Aspect Warriors got a massive boost! They are all exciting in their own way. Plus, I wanted to show off a lot of different units.

• Beau October 26, 2017 11:41 am #

Make me proud with those scorpions! I want to buy some.

Reecius October 26, 2017 11:44 am #

Dude, at least my top 5 favorite units in the game in terms of aesthetics.

3. Drake October 26, 2017 9:26 am #

Some of the Beil Tan Weapon quantities don’t seem to add up. For example you have listed 5 Warp Spiders in a unit but 6 Deathspinners. Same with the Dire Avenger units. Appears paid too many points as a result.

Unless I am missing something?

Reecius October 26, 2017 9:31 am #

The Exarch can take two of each! It’s awesome and a lot of fun.

• Beau October 26, 2017 11:42 am #

Can the exarch then fire both of them?

Reecius October 26, 2017 11:44 am #

Yeah, all models can fire all of their weapons unless a rule prevents it as with Grenades or Pistols.

4. William betts October 26, 2017 11:17 am #

I think you guys will make it fun to watch and i think it could go either way. It is a dice game after all. I wonder if, once this airs, will the 40k worl start crying about “overpowered” or not? Time will tell. But Reece, its time you won one. Good luck buddy

• Beau October 26, 2017 11:43 am #

I don’t think eldar will get hit by a op cry compared to their past 2 dexes

Reecius October 26, 2017 11:46 am #

Thank you!

Eldar are seriously amazing, but the internet community reacts strangely and latches on to an idea before testing it. Right now the general consensus is that Eldar are weak, but that is simply not true. They have SO MANY combos and awesome tricks it is stupid. They changed a ton from the index to the codex too, lots and lots of little changes so it really is essentially starting over for them. However, they rock. So damn good and fun to play, too.

• David Hayden October 26, 2017 2:42 pm #

I agree. I like how tactical the strategems are. The craftworld traits, save for Ulthwe and Alaitoc, I found underwhelming but okay. But the strategems and unit cost changes are where this shines.

Can’t wait to start fielding 40 guardians in my games.

• ryan October 27, 2017 6:53 am #

i dont want to be overly critical because i love how positive you are about warhammer reecius and what you do for the community, but you never have a bad thing to say about any codex or index when its released, and maybe its just because your on here giving so many opinions that the law of averages will come into play and you end up wrong about some of them.

I dont see anything special about this new eldar codex from the leaks i saw. The magic is the same tired spells, the same tired 20 year old models,weak strategems, weak warlord traits . I dont see this book shaking up anybodys meta.

• GunslingerSamus October 27, 2017 8:03 am #

Ryan, If you dont see them changing up the Meta your not paying attention. Even if nothing else changed and they got a point drop we would see more dark reaper yanari. Which makes things like the primarchs more of a liablity etc etc. Even a bad codex will change the Meta, but something like eldar thats mobile and very destructive will have a big Impact.

Reecius October 27, 2017 8:16 am #

You don’t see anything special about the Eldar Codex that you have not even read yet….=P

I hope you see how silly of a statement that is, but, I appreciate your measured response and yes, being positive is a lot more productive than the endless complaining we often get in our online community.

But, my perspective is different, I understand the why of things which changes how I see the units and rules, etc. People dismiss things far too quickly. or jump on the internet group think train without applying any actual critical thought to it, or you know, trying something before forming an opinion, haha.

But your opinion is your own, I have been lucky enough to play the book a lot obviously, and I think it is very fun, and strong. But hey, what would tons of actual experience with it matter to internet opinions formed on leaks matter? =)

And if you think the Runes of Battle powers are tired and not special….dude, I don’t know what to tell you, haha. That is hands down the best psychic school in the game and it is full of absolutely incredible powers. But, hey, to each their own I guess.

And as for being “wrong” about things…I guess? It’s funny because people ask me my opinion on something, then treat it as some sort of official proclamation and decide if it is right or wrong based on their perceptions…but…it’s just an opinion, lol. It is inherently neither right nor wrong, it is my point of view, haha. This has been a funny thing to watch as 8th has developed.

5. BloatedSupaFlyFist October 26, 2017 2:09 pm #

I liked the live battle reports as well. Nothing like visually seeing the salt rise to the surface and hearing the on the spot profanity and/or dice throwing. Will the live jib and jive battles reports return ?

Reecius October 26, 2017 3:33 pm #

We do them when we can but due to staffing changes simply don’t have the manpower to do it very frequently at this point in time.

6. Bedmond Loans October 26, 2017 10:47 pm #

Very interesting list, illustrates just how cheap eldar are now – 14 points for a striking scorpion what?!

After the alaitoc trait and the points reductions came out (and the warlock psychic powers) I am now very happy with the eldar codex – despite my earlier disappointment.

I personally will be spamming as much ‘-2 hit’ kity bullshit but interested how this list goes as well. Are 4+ inv save DA’s any good? we’ll see!

Reecius October 27, 2017 8:17 am #

I know, right?! The points changes alone make this book strong.

Alaitoc will be the most popular I am sure, but for me, I prefer Biel-Tan.

7. HKMac07 October 27, 2017 10:18 am #

YES the Footdar r back!!. So psyked. cool list Reecius good luck.

8. Greg Gonzalez October 27, 2017 12:58 pm #

Greatest 40K player in the world will likely win, as he normally does since 5th edition ended. Lol. Reecius has all the tools but having played Death Guard, I can tell you they are a tough nut to crack and having Plagueburst crawlers shooting with good range and not needing LOS… woo daddy.

I have been playing my Death Guard but am building a Wraith Construct army this weekend, so I think I am rooting for Craftworld Eldar.

Also, does anyone have a spare Forge World Avatar for sale????

9. CaptainA October 28, 2017 10:03 am #

Both my regular eldar opponents are going Alaitoc. As an ork player what is one to do? Just give up on half the dex because it regularly only hits on 6s now or not even that?

• Dbiesto October 29, 2017 2:29 pm #

Orks actually should do decently. Use battlewagons to block LOS for storm boyz mobs, and assault them. Similar to IG they are brittle and arent orks str 4 now? Orks are not really supposed to be a shooting army, I would go with battlewagons, commandos, stormboyz, shoota boyz, weirdboyz, and killa kans, just my opinion @CaptainA