SoCal Open Update and Pics! Final 4 Update!

We’re off and away! Great start to what will become an awesome annual event.

Here’s the top 4 coming in to the final round! We have 2 chaos players versus 2 imperium players in a battle of GW’s finest! Ryan and Brandon are almost an entire game’s worth of points ahead of the next runner ups. Which means they are playing for all the marbles! Who do you think will win? Check out all of the lists by downloading the Best Coast Pairings Player App on your iphone or android device.

Brandon Grant

• 14555

Justin Gibbs

Grey Knights – Table War Hawaii

• 5106 (5-0)
  • 25 / 22 / 22 / 18 / 19
  • 11884

Round 5 sees us narrowing down the field significantly. We’ve got 2 Chaos, 2 Astra Militarum, 2 Ynnari, 1 Ork and 1 Grey Knight player left!

Round 5 Top 8

• 2629
  • Eric Bailey

Alpha Legion – Hogs of War

• 3043
    • 10 / 18 / 15
    • 5105

We had a smooth start, everything running nice and easy thanks to the BCP app, and the tables and armies look great! We only had one unfortunate individual with a few unpainted models we had to pull off the table, which stunk, but he took it in stride and all was well. The stream wasn’t working for round 1, unfortunately but we’re up and running for round 2 and after!

Huge thanks to Andy T. and his crew who helped us with the terrain, this seriously is an amazing looking event. Enjoy some of the pictures of the event! Also, have to give a shout out to Count Vlad “The Impaler” Nica, a nickname we totally made up, who showed up in a Vampire outfit, lol! That was amazing.

More info to come!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

25 Responses to “SoCal Open Update and Pics! Final 4 Update!”

1. Panzer1944 October 21, 2017 2:59 pm #

Hope you post an army break down for the event.

2. rvd1ofakind October 21, 2017 8:47 pm #

Isn’t the top TAU list(Alexander Villagra) illegal? It has a batallion with only 1 HQ – Longstrike.

Or is there a special rule?

• rvd1ofakind October 21, 2017 9:06 pm #

Also, tell Ryan Mead and Hayen Navarre to upload their lists already :p

• Mortetvie October 21, 2017 9:28 pm #

Its prob supposed to be a fast attack detachment based on the units in it so it appears legit to me.

• Dbiesto October 21, 2017 10:02 pm #

It appears to be an outrider detachment probably just used an app and forgot to edit with text. (Or his troops were removed for the lack of 3 colors 😉)

• Subclavian Steel October 21, 2017 10:42 pm #

Both of their lists are almost the same as mine. I think the only difference between Ryan’s and mine was that he had plague flies instead of nurgling units, everything else was identical.

Hayden switched out my knight and herald of nurgle for 3 HB rapier laser destroyers, scorpius tank, a 6th malefic lord, and some summoning points which he spends on giant chaos spawn.

3. rvd1ofakind October 22, 2017 1:06 am #

Also. Sooo many bad AdMech lists… like 5 lists bellow 90th place. Yuck.

I still don’t understand how Reece can praise melee bots. They’re really bad: no damage(because they’ll usually only have 1 wound screen units to charge), no durability(no invul save in melee???). No one is using them.

• rvd1ofakind October 22, 2017 2:58 am #

Seriuosly. Just compare them to Dragoons. On what world would you take Fistellans

• Petey Pab
        Petey Pab October 22, 2017 8:12 am #

I am going to ompare your face to their fists! Muahahaha, that’ll learn ya! =P

• Dbiesto October 22, 2017 8:27 pm #

I played 2 admech lists. Both were close games and extremely fun, beat one lost to one. Overall they are brutal when used correctly, a guy placed 27th with Admech with AM allies. Chaos, Ynnari, and Imperium are all on a top level because of the allies they can take, and glad to see Xenos were doing well overall before the Codex dropped. Fingers crossed for tyranids! Started a casual army just for fun with the deals from the Frontline store at SCO.

• rvd1ofakind October 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Yeah, the top-ish lists were OK.
            However a pure AdMech list didn’t even crack top 50. Triggered

• N.I.B. October 23, 2017 4:02 am #

Reece also praised Tyranids. Which we’ve learned by now means it’s middle of the road.

• Jural October 23, 2017 11:05 am #

Tyranids without a Codex though… so easy to pick up command points, so hard to use them!!

4. Dakkath October 22, 2017 11:13 am #

I need to see those tau lists. I’m just hoping they aren’t commander spam.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab October 22, 2017 12:43 pm #

They’re on BCP =)

• Dakkath October 22, 2017 5:46 pm #

Yeah and BCP doesn’t work on my laptop

• Dakkath October 22, 2017 6:02 pm #

Let me rephrase, the BCP site has no links to lists anywhere. Just pairings.

5. Mrmattywoodz October 22, 2017 4:23 pm #

Is Ryan’s list on BCP correct? I tried recreating it on battlescribe and it doesn’t match up. Is battlescribe wrong or is his list wrong?

6. Odras October 22, 2017 5:22 pm #

What happened in the Adam Gati vs Brandon Grant game? I can see the result but I would be interested to know how the game actually played out since I run a very similar list to Adam.

• Arthagoth October 23, 2017 12:15 am #

Brandon wins, i hope watching a tournament report by someone with that ynnari list, i want watching competitive astra or chaos list vs that ynnari list. I dont know as ynnari can win that match…

• mortetvie October 23, 2017 3:22 pm #

This is Adam, I can give you a brief recap. Before I get into the game, I want to say that Brandon was a great opponent/sport and nothing I say here should take away from his solid win.

So first off, the mission and table were kind of rough. Regarding the table, there was a lot of LOS blocking terrain but it really limited my mobility because of how it was built. Regarding the mission, all Brandon had to do was camp his 90 Conscripts+Commissar with a 5++ (thanks to Celestine and +1 save power) on the center objective for an easy +2 points each game turn that I couldn’t do anything about-was rough and nearly impossible to overcome that advantage (12 easy point for his army).

Second, there was some bad dice on my part. Brandon can attest to my dice resulting in 5/8 failed 3+ saves and all then failing all my 6+ Spirit Stone saves on my wave serpents for the first few turns. Also, even with command points, my D-Scythes rolled only 1-2 for number of shots (e.g., 1 shot per D-Scythe) EVERY single time they shot. But that alone did not determine the game results and I won’t blame dice entirely for my loss.

Smite spam behind a very durable amount of infantry is hard to deal with. He had 9 Primaris Psykers and 3 Astropaths for a potential 11 Smites+the AM super smite. This becomes more problematic when he has a Culexus in there that makes your deny and cast -2. Smites alone accounted for me losing about 1-2 Wraithguard UNITS or Wave Serpents a turn. It was rough.

With that said, the game consisted of me splitting my army up and then trying to flank his army and doing damage from the sides but he just had too many models/smites for me to handle and he wore me down in a brutal game of attrition.

What I should have done was hang back for a few turns and skirt his extreme flanks and then hit him from the rear and push in from there. Poor play and tactics on my part ultimately but losing 1-2 Serpents like they were Vypers on turn 1 and 2 really hurt my mobility. I am really looking forward to being able to deepstrike WG once again with Craftworld stratagems =).

• Odras October 24, 2017 12:08 am #

Thanks Adam, bad luck on that game but well done overall at the tournament.

7. Brakhal October 22, 2017 6:26 pm #

Was curious if these Am guys are able to use the new codex? It seems like a lot of them are using Military Tempestus, which doesn’t seem like the strongest regiment in the new codex.

8. rvd1ofakind October 22, 2017 8:37 pm #

Incoming wall of text on the final write-up for this tourny :p

9. Jural October 23, 2017 11:06 am #