Preview: Warhammer 40K Video Bat Rep: Death Guard vs. Space Wolves

Frankie takes the new Death Guard out for a game against Reecius’ Space Wolves! Here’s a preview of the game with a few pics and lists, which will air on Monday, September 18th at 9am PST. Who do you think will win? Sub to our YouTube page to keep up with all of our latest videos!

It was a brutal and deadly game!

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Total

Long Fangs Heavy 15 6 90 Missile Launcher 25 5 125
Long Fangs Heavy 15 6 90 Missile Launcher 25 5 125
Detachment 3 Command Points 0 0
0 0
Totals     50 1237       763 2000
Command Points: 8       Detachments: 2

25 Responses to “Preview: Warhammer 40K Video Bat Rep: Death Guard vs. Space Wolves”

1. Horton September 12, 2017 4:02 pm #

Oh man!

Reecius September 12, 2017 4:08 pm #

Death Guard are no joke, I tell you that!

2. Stilgar September 12, 2017 5:22 pm #

I will definitely be watching this one. SW are my main army. I’m genuinely interested to see how they do vs Mortarion.

Reecius September 12, 2017 6:56 pm #

They certainly sunk their fangs into ol’ Morty!

3. PrimoFederalist September 12, 2017 6:01 pm #

Reece: I can’t tell you how much I love your SW lists! As someone who picked up the army when their 3rd edition codex dropped because of my love for their hardy Viking infantry, I’ve not been pleased that the army changed until the only viable/competitive lists consisted of lots of Thunderwolves. Since 8th edition dropped, we can return to the “old ways” and rely on our unique infantry once again. Brilliant!

PS have you tried running Wolf Scouts yet? You can load them for bear with a plasma gun, two plasma pistols, and a combi-plasma on the Wolf Guard for a bit over 100 points. With “Behind Enemy Lines” they should really be able to surprise some folks…

Reecius September 12, 2017 6:58 pm #

I certainly want to add some scouts in, I need a screen. Been considering dropping a unit of grey hunters and razorback for a big unit of Blood Claws, too. They give you a lot for the points.

I dig your idea for scouts, will have to try that out.

• Tom Sawyer September 12, 2017 10:27 pm #

Do you think the scouts accomplish more as a screen or as an infiltrating unit? I’ve been more in favour of having a unit or two behind enemy lines thia edition, it makes my opponent think a bit more about character placement. Whether it be scouts or boyz with da jump (depending on the army) I think it works pretty damn well.

Reecius September 13, 2017 12:04 pm #

I forgot Wolf Scouts don’t infiltrate, in which case yeah, you are right. Better to have them pop in the backfield.

The easy answer is some conscripts, but in a “pure” Space Wolf army I’d have to say use Fenresian Wolves, but they’re a bit pricey to just screen. They’re useful in a non-screening roll too, though.

May end up using Blood Claws, lol.

• Stilgar September 13, 2017 10:53 am #

What do you think about adding a company ancient to a shooting based SW list? It looks decent on paper.

Reecius September 13, 2017 12:04 pm #

Great idea. The Ancient is awesome.

4. Blight September 12, 2017 7:56 pm #

So I’ve seen some preview pics of the codex and there doesn’t seem to be points for DPs with wings. So assuming based on this go with 170 as their points until official errata?

• Mafiel September 13, 2017 7:16 am #

From what I’ve seen, there is no option for a DP with wings. I don’t believe that this is a omission, since no option for jet packs are available for any of the HQ’s.

Reecius September 13, 2017 12:01 pm #

He has the option for wings on his dataslate, just no points.

5. novastar September 12, 2017 9:19 pm #

when will Reece learn he cant beat the world greatest 40k player lol

6. Max Mustermann September 12, 2017 11:46 pm #

Yay Death Guard. I predict Frankie tables you in 5 rounds because you still haven’t finished painting your Night Lords. 😛

Reecius September 13, 2017 12:01 pm #

Lol, I hope not….

7. rvd1ofakind September 13, 2017 12:24 am #

Finally a good battlerep of the new DG on the horizon. The MWG version is like they were trying to break a record to forget the most rules…
    “How about we completely forget the main things about Mortarion and just use him as a dude that flies in and punches. Pfft auras, right”
    “Let’s cast all these buffs and completelly forget about all of them later”

• Max Mustermann September 13, 2017 2:06 am #

Agreed, it would be nice if they cut down on the banter and focus on the advance rules they are sent.

8. Threllen September 13, 2017 6:25 am #

Didn’t know Long Fangs could take 5 heavies – that’s pretty cool.

15 missile launchers will definitely test the durability of Mortarion!

Reecius September 13, 2017 12:02 pm #

That was my thought!

9. Don Tomaso September 13, 2017 8:05 am #

Good idea to bring lots of missiles! 3.5×3.5 ML damage per turn ought to do it if you deploy correctly.

Surprised though to see no DG rhinos, the thing that takes away DG weakness and lets morty advance at full speed.

Also interested to see you handle DG WITHOUT a big gunline of antitank heavy weapons, maybe in a later batrep?

Now need to find time to watch. Still tired after my full night of GK vs DG marathon gaming 😛

Reecius September 13, 2017 12:05 pm #

Yeah, short ranged armies struggle with Morty and Co.

• Laurence Elliott September 14, 2017 6:38 am #

Other than maybe your Ynnari ghost army? I can imagine some well co-ordinated soulbursts could turn Morty into a puddle of goo

10. Don Tomaso September 14, 2017 9:16 am #

I would LOVE to see that ynnari of death army vs morty and friends.

Do it! lol