The NOVA Open Warhammer 40,000: The Gauntlet Is Thrown!

Muahaha! Check out my smack-talk article for Pete from GW over on the Warhammer-community site as we are playing one another round one of the NOVA invitational! This will be good fun.

Of all the Warhammer events at the NOVA Open, the most prestigious is the Warhammer 40,000 Invitational, bringing together the world’s best players for some intense competitive gaming. In this year’s invitational, Games Workshop’s own Pete Foley has been drawn against hobby superstar, playtester, and Las Vegas Open organiser Reecius, who has some fighting words for his would-be rival:

Reece: Pete may have been one of the creative minds behind the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, and he may also be tall, handsome, intelligent and a great player, but that doesn’t matter and let me tell you why: I’ve been on an intense training regimen to strengthen my resolve, hone my skills, and prepare for this legendary bout! I share this secret knowledge with you now but I warn you – if you have the intestinal fortitude to commit to this program, you will never be the same…..

(While reading this, it is appropriate to play “The Eye of the Tiger” in the background.)

5:00 am: Wake, eat a breakfast of raw eggs while throwing darts at a picture of Pete’s face.

6:00 am: Practice rolling 6’s on my dice. 1 in 6 times, it works every time!

9:00 am: Read every codex.

Noon: Read them all again, but this time: blindfolded.

3:00 pm: Play 10 practice games of Warhammer 40,000 at the same time. Win them all.

7:00 pm: Eat a dinner of raw beef while drawing hearts on a picture of Pete’s face, er, I mean while drawing targets on a picture of Pete’s face! Angry targets!

8:00 pm: Go to the gym. Lift all of the weights.

9:00 pm: Sleep. Dream of sweet victory and being carried away by adoring fans as Pete weeps bitter tears of defeat.

As you can see, this daily routine means this game can end only one way: total domination! I tweeted to Pete that he should notify his next of kin and prepare a will because I’m coming in to NOVA like Fulgrim, and he’s Ferrus Manus!

If you are friends with Pete, send your condolences because it’s looking pretty grim…and dark. He’s going to need a Golden Throne to keep him going after this game.

Game on, Pete! Here is the list that spells your DOOM!

Space Marines: Red Tigers Chapter

Detachments: 1 Brigade

Command Points: 12

HQs

• Lias Issodon: Chapter Master of the Raptors and my personal hero
  • Captain with Jump Pack: thunder hammer, storm shield
  • Lieutenant: master-crafted bolter, chainsword (I often give him the Teeth of Terra)

Elites

• Tactical Marines x5: heavy bolter, storm bolter
  • Tactical Marines x5: heavy bolter, storm bolter
  • Tactical Marines x5: heavy bolter, storm bolter

Heavy Support

• Devastator Squad x6: heavy bolters x4, Armorium Cherub
  • Devastator Squad x7: multi-meltas x4, Armorium Cherub, combi-plasma
  • Devastator Squad x7: lascannon x3, missile launcher x1, Armorium Cherub, combi-plasma

Transport

• Drop Pod

Sounds deadly! We’ll be seeing if Reecius manages to tear Pete to pieces in their game on Thursday – make sure to come back to Warhammer Community for the results!

16 Responses to “The NOVA Open Warhammer 40,000: The Gauntlet Is Thrown!”

1. Lardus August 29, 2017 10:16 am

“Read them all again, but this time: blindfolded.” – Hahaha had me literally laughing out loud!
    Good luck man, may the best man from FLG win 😛

Reecius August 29, 2017 11:16 am

Haha, thanks!

2. Ytook August 29, 2017 10:27 am

I think that picture of Reece is photoshopped, very few burgers have wings.

Reecius August 29, 2017 11:16 am

He’s on to us! =P

• Nogle August 29, 2017 2:51 pm

I have no problem with beef and wings. we have a lot of them here in Buffalo! They even run a GT 😉

• abusepuppy August 30, 2017 4:35 am

I can tell because of the pixels, and having seen quite a few ‘shops in my time.

3. Bluthusten August 29, 2017 10:53 am

Are you using Ravenguard tactics? So you can Lias +3 (Devastators) place wherever you want and add the Ancient with stratagem? And what’s the thing with Sternguard in pod? Are they worth the points?

Reecius August 29, 2017 11:16 am

Actually, I often put the Heavy Bolter Devs in the Drop Pod with the Lt. and the Ancient, and Deep Strike the other Devs and Sternguard.

And yes, the Sternguard rock, usually the best unit in my army, honestly.

The key though, is that the army is fluid, I can reserve lots of different units, I am very mobile, etc. It is a reactive army.

• Bluthusten August 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Sounds great.

Which Stratagems do you use the most? And can you handle tankheavy army’s or a Knight with a massive screen in front of him?

4. Cephalobeard August 29, 2017 11:28 am

Stormbolter Sternguard aren’t bad either! A gross amount of shots for the cost, for when you don’t wanna bring multiple squads of special issue ammo so you’re not doubling up.

Reecius August 29, 2017 11:36 am

Exactly. I experimented with 2 units, 1 with Storm Bolters and it was quite good but I found I gave up too much for it.

5. Threllen August 29, 2017 12:06 pm

That army isn’t filled with units that make you go ‘ooh and ahh’ but I have to imagine it’s rather hard to deploy against. Lias gives three units a during-game infiltrate iirc and then you have the Ravenguard stratagem with a very ample number of command points to do the pre-game infiltrate as well.

Reecius August 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Lias and 3 units deepstrike, it is awesome indeed.

But yeah, my entire army can basically start the game wherever I want them to which is very powerful.

6. IW August 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Lias, a Lieutenant and Company Ancient with the Banner of the Emperor Ascendant is similar in points to Roboute..

Arguably as Roboute needs to bring some friends to fulfill the HQ requirements of a detachment, i’d say Lias and Co is better 😉

7. Gonewild40k August 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Reece, I like this list, going to adopt it. Listened to TFG podcast, and, got a glimpse how it performed.

8. Cavalier August 31, 2017 3:38 am

Hey Reece I really like the look of your new army. It matches your red IG which I’ve always thought were super distinctive. I like this list too, especially the Scout Bikers. This seems like a real distillation of your play style. Love it!