Signals from the Frontline #546: BAO Format Taking Shape

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST.

Show Notes

Date: 7-7-17

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at a discount! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.
  • You think Reecius’ T-Shirts are cool? Buy yours, here!

News

• If you are attending the BAO, please be sure to check your email as we have a poll out answering a lot of the questions that have been coming up on format issues for the big event! Most of you have already voted but we want to give everyone a chance to do so. The Poll runs through Monday morning and we will go over the results on the Monday podcast. The questions are simple, do we want to use ITC modified book missions or not? A lot of people were asking for more complex missions. Do we use allow the really big units in or not as a lot of folks have expressed concern over playing with them. Lastly, do we want to allow in the new material GW has announced as the Space Marines Codex for sure is coming this month.
    • This is not ITC policy, just what we’re going with for the BAO.
    • Also, we will be live broadcasting from the BAO featuring Mariana on tech and the Dave’s shout-casting! This is going to be an awesome event.

Upcoming ITC Events

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

18 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #546: BAO Format Taking Shape”

1. Ujayim July 8, 2017 7:36 am #

I, personally, find power level not working well with Daemons because Daemons by nature tend to have zero wargear. Ends up leaning higher power level with lower points compared to other units.

That being said, I’m all for FW big stuff. Let the models become a problem before we treat them like one.

Also the audio is super out of sync on YouTube, was actually really funny to watch.

Reecius July 8, 2017 9:19 am #

Yeah, power level isn’t perfect of course but it is easy and largely accurate as it is based off of the model’s cost + gear x 20 in most cases.

We will look into the audio issue.

• Threllen July 10, 2017 10:35 am #

As a fellow daemon player I’ll still take power level over traditional kill points.

I’m quite fond of daemon lists with lots of units. In a traditional kill points world I’m basically screwed. A lot of armies like Space Marines are naturally going to have less units than I do because they have expensive guys and your basic daemon is pretty cheap. Of course things like Imperial Knights make this even more lopsided.

Power level is generally really close across a lot of lists. Maybe in edge cases it’s along the lines of 10% off or so. But that’s still very small compared to the fact that in terms of units I could have 3 or 4 times as many kill points as my opponent.

2. rvd1ofakind July 8, 2017 9:03 am #

I’d change it to “forgeworld models over 30 PL are not allowed” since those are the problematic ones I think. The GW things should be way more balanced.

Reecius July 8, 2017 9:17 am #

True, but again we tried to keep this as simple and fair as possible. This is just to get us rolling in the here and now.

3. WestRider July 8, 2017 12:08 pm #

I’m not attending, but I would suggest that for limiting Units by Power Level, you specify that it’s the base Power Level that’s used for that determination. I don’t know if there are any Units that run afoul of it at PL30, but any lower than that and you start running into issues with more expensive Units like Wolf Guard Terminators not being usable in anything but minimum-size Squads, because adding the extra Models pushes their Power Level over the line.

• AbusePuppy July 8, 2017 6:21 pm #

I…. don’t think you can push a unit of Terminators over PL30, even with upgrades.

• WestRider July 9, 2017 12:14 am #

There are at least a few. Paladins are PL32 at 6+ Models. DeathWatch and Wolf Guard Terminators both hit PL30 at 6+ Models. Dev Cents can go up to 34. However, Reece’s clarification below does resolve the issue.

Reecius July 8, 2017 9:26 pm #

It’s models, not units.

4. Garry July 8, 2017 2:53 pm #

Rules question here, and I think it is legimitate and worth an faq. When vehicles explode does each individual unit take its own D6 mortal woulda, o4 do you roll once and each unit takes that many mortal wounds.

I feel like the rules are unclear in either way, and one is more powerful than the other, because one does more damage with command points.

Reecius July 8, 2017 3:34 pm #

I don’t understand what you are asking. Are you talking about when a vehicle explodes do you roll for the damage on each unit in the blast? Or roll once and apply that number to all units in range? If so, you roll per unit in range.

• AbusePuppy July 8, 2017 6:22 pm #

I believe that was his question, yes, and it’s one I’ve had as well since the rule itself is completely ambiguous.

• Garry Leonard July 8, 2017 8:13 pm #

Sorry was typing on my phone.

Anyway i ask from a… i needs FAQ level clarification because new players won’t play this rule that way. If i get two people who have never table top war gamed before and all the current documents of the game they could legitimately interpret the rule in either direction.

It’s something in the rules that should be in the “modying characteristics” Side bar on page 175. Which shows random characteristic should be done a per model basis, but says nothing about units.

I know it should be that each unit rolls it’s own separate D3 damage, but if i’m TO’ing there is nothing in the rules i can point to a player that that’s the case. You know what i mean Reece.

5. loopy July 10, 2017 4:40 am #

I may as well smash my Imperial Knights with a hammer.

6. Donthemagnificent July 10, 2017 12:30 pm #

Lol, people around Phoenix have started calling me Don “the mastodon” Hooson, now.