Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Harlequins

We wrote a faction focus article about Harlequins! What do you guys think about the ninja clowns? Read the article, here.

16 Responses to “Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Harlequins”

1. David Hayden June 8, 2017 8:15 am

I’m so happy about the improved Harlequins. They are my favorite. The new models were released right when I returned to 40k. I bought some…then never played them because I wasn’t ready for that big of a tactical challenge. And by challenge, I mean trying to win half my games.

Now, I just don’t know what to take. 3 Starweavers with Troupes is a given. 2 units of 2 Skyweavers for disruption and hurting vehicles. But then what? A fourth Starweaver with another Troupe? Two more Starweavers, each with a Shadowseer and two Death Jesters to support the three troupes? And then the weapon options, of course.

We have options for Harlequin builds!

Reecius June 8, 2017 9:33 am

You can’t go wrong with Troupes. They’re so dang good.

• David Hayden June 8, 2017 10:09 am

Were you guys running more than one Troupe Master? I’m figuring Troupes with 5 players each with either a Troupe Master or Shadowseer teamed up with each.

Reecius June 8, 2017 10:17 am

We typically ran 1, and 1 shadowseer.

• David Hayden June 8, 2017 10:24 am

Bro’s over heroes, eh? Interesting. So Harlequins may not be as dependent on aura buffs. I’ll probably play around with 2 Shadowseers since that’s how many I own.

Death Jesters didn’t do much?

2. 77rColin Sherlow June 8, 2017 10:55 am

Love harlequins so much.

I will probably try them out for 4 or 5 games this weekend alongside my Dark eldar.

So stoked.

Actually a little surprised that the raider is slower than wave serpents.

3. Anggul June 8, 2017 1:07 pm

Harlequins are my favourite faction alongside Tyranids.

I have all of the excitement of Cegorach to play them.

Interesting that starweavers are a lot more appealing now. Big troupes on foot protected by veil of tears was usually the best way before, but now that veil isn’t an all-or-nothing protection and is instead a passive -1 to hit, starweavers are more appealing. Maybe I’ll just take a couple of troupes in starweavers to neautralise long-range guns so the troupes on foot can leap up the table and charge anything without really long range before they can be shot up too badly.

4. Patrick June 8, 2017 2:25 pm

These faction focuses are great! Thank you guys so much. I played 3/4 ed 40k and haven’t played since. This 8th edition is so exciting I am leaping back into the 40k universe. Harlequins sound and look so amazing they are going to be my new army. Thank you guys again, you do a great job.

Reecius June 8, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks and welcome back, friend!

5. C-Stock June 9, 2017 4:33 am

Harlequins look fun, I’ll be taking mine off she shelf for sure.

One thing though Reece, It’s 1 point for them to get a CCW that does nothing at all and only 5 more points to get a very effective weapon.

Did you guys really mean for basic harlequin blades to cost a point and be just a few S3 AP0 attacks that struggle to kill guardsmen? That’s clearly not a per-point balanced option with the harlequin weapons.

In the Eldar codex Storm guardians get an ‘Aeldari blade’ for 1 point that allows re-rolls to hit, I suspect you meant harlequin blades to be like that? S3 AP0 reroll your misses for 1 point seems about right.

Lastly, the Harlequin’s kiss is 14 points. While it does D3 wounds which is great (2/3 of the time), it’s only S4 and…. nutty expensive.

Love the new harlies but these seem like some odd internal balance issues.

Sort of like how Wave Serpents are way better than Falcons and do the same job, but Falcons are inexplicably +40 points more.

• Venkarel June 9, 2017 5:06 am

This is a new edition not 7th,you have to shift your perspective, strength 4 is good, wounds almost anything in the game on 5s or less. Getting a better power sword on all your troops for cheap (embrace) is crazy good. The kiss being more expensive makes me want to put it in high attack models like the troupe master or maybe 3-4 troupe members in a large troupe.

Reecius June 9, 2017 7:15 am

As we’ve been saying, try not to compare weapons across books or on a per point basis, look at them in the context of the unit that takes them. There isn’t always an apparent logic to it.

• C-Stock June 9, 2017 10:19 am

I understand.

But comparing the blade to other weapons is within one unit in one book.

And comparing Eldar Falcons with Eldar Wave Serpents is within one book as well.

Falcons are an auto-not-take with Wave Serpents around. Wasn’t the goal to make every unit good and get rid of useless units?

• David Hayden June 9, 2017 11:15 am

The blade weapons are in one index but they are very different factions. Those Storm Guardians don’t have flip belts, don’t move as fast, don’t have an invulnerable save, etc. Harlequins hit fast with more skill. Those are two very different troop types. They may both be Eldar, but that’s where the similarities end.

I haven’t looked at the Falcon and Wave Serpent stats, so I can’t say anything about those.

• C-Stock June 10, 2017 3:10 am

Wave serpents have the same firepower as a Falcon (more if you shoot the shield), better transport capacity, and they have the serpent shield.

Wave Serpents have +1 more hull point than a falcon as well.

The Falcon isn’t better than a Wave Serpent in any way.

Falcons cost way more.

Reecius June 10, 2017 5:54 am

Yeah, the serpent is where it’s at.