The Ninth Realm: An Age of Sigmar Podcast Ep.4

TNR Logo 4

This week we talk about the Generals Handbook!

• General’s Handbook overview:
    • Open play -Mariana
    • Narrative play – Jason
    • Matched play – Reece
  • FAQ already out, WOW! https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/Warhammer_aos_generals_handbook_en.pdf
  • Homework assignment: Add up your army’s points.
    • Reece:
          • Branchwych: 100pts
          • Tree-Revenants: 100pts
        • Dryads x 10: 120pts
        • Tree-Revenants x 5: 100pts
        • Branchwych: 100pts
      • Total: 2,000pts
  • An Age of Sigmar tournament is coming up in october, using the LVO format. This will be a great practice event if you’re looking to cut your teeth on AoS matched play! We will be trying to attend, ourselves.
  • Annihilation 5: Age of Annihilation at Guardian Games in Portland, Oregon. October 15th, 2016
  • We’re working on launching the AoS ITC! Everything is in the works on that, so stay tuned for more information.
  • Next week: Bonesplittaz and Iron Jawz!

We will be reading off some listener responses at the end of next weeks podcast so leave a comment with a question or what army you are playing and why.

Our Fearless Leader:

Jason-Statham-2

Reece “You kinda look like Jason Statham” Robbins

fat fedora

Jason “Troll Face” Butler

Derpy_hooves_vector_by_durpy-d4bwgwf

Featuring and Edited by:

Mariana “Classic Mariana” Vera

About Mariana

Self proclaimed "Swiss Army Nerd"

43 Responses to “The Ninth Realm: An Age of Sigmar Podcast Ep.4”

1. mmimzie July 28, 2016 8:39 am #

I asked in the last episode’s description (abit late), and i know.. i know i haven’t listened to them yet so sue me if you already talked about it. I’m waiting for a good moment to hobby while i listen.

any way, i wanted to know your thoughts on the matched play scenarios??? I think they are pretty good and give different type of armies various advantages and disadvantages.

Reecius July 28, 2016 8:55 am #

Having read them but not played them yet, I think they look great so far! We go over it on the podcast, too.

• mmimzie July 28, 2016 8:06 pm #

Gah!! now i have to listen

2. Adam
    Adam (RUMBL/TheDiceAbide) July 28, 2016 8:51 am #

Yeah, I’m really excited that Fantasy is back! Time to get that old dress out of the closet and get my Ogors on the field.

3. Requizen
    Requizen July 28, 2016 9:32 am #

Awesome podcast guys!

I’m going to start my new dudes this weekend, not sure if I’m going to do Flesh Eaters/Death or Stormcast. Leaning heavily towards the latter, but the FEC stuff is pretty cool.

Reecius July 28, 2016 9:59 am #

Glad you’re enjoying it! And yes, the FEC are very cool and one of the cheapest armies to start in the game. Seriously, two Start Collecting boxes and a a few other kits, you are good to go. Like, $200 all together from FLG.

• Requizen
        Requizen July 28, 2016 11:06 am #

Not to mention if you can find a King Vlagorescu’s Ghoulish Host that’s like $280 for a $180 box. Less if you use the wonderful FLG shop for 20% off (though it’s currently out of stock on the web store).

Reecius July 28, 2016 1:16 pm #

Yeah, some of those bundle deals are incredibly good values!

4. Adam
    Adam (RUMBL/TheDiceAbide) July 28, 2016 9:52 am #

Oh I found this on facebook, here’s the calculated savings for the Start Collecting boxes for those who are interested:

Stormcast, Ironjawz, Bloodbound and Seraphon are the best deals… it’s just too bad that the Stormcast come with 2, not 3 Retributors, even then though if you ONLY kept the Liberators and Prosecutors, and threw the rest in the trash, you’re still saving $25.

• Adam
      Adam (RUMBL/TheDiceAbide) July 28, 2016 9:55 am #

Oh nevermind, Retributors come in 5’s, so that’s perfect to add to half of the AOS Starter to get up to 5 for matched play.

Reecius July 28, 2016 9:59 am #

Yeah, it’s incredibly affordable at the moment.

• Requizen
      Requizen July 28, 2016 11:21 am #

Not that surprising that Stormcast are the most savings, their boxes are pretty bloody expensive on a unit by unit basis. Sick models, though.

Reecius July 28, 2016 1:17 pm #

Frankie has succumbed to the Stormcast Eternal call! He just picked up some of their cavalry and a Stardrake! SUCH a sick model!

• Adam
          Adam (RUMBL/TheDiceAbide) July 28, 2016 1:53 pm #

Dude, that Stardrake alone almost made me do Stormcast… That said, I didn’t, because it was the Stardrake alone that I liked out of Stormcast, hahaha.

Reecius July 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Yeah, it is such a baller model!

• Blight1 July 29, 2016 3:35 am #

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the stormcast in the fluff. They’ve been really fleshing them out as a faction and their resurrection stuff is actually pretty interesting for character development.
          Can’t wait to see more of the specific sub groups to get highlighted.

5. gvcolor July 28, 2016 10:35 am #

Nice podcast again – informative, positive and straight-forward, am really liking the format. We’re going to start a Path to Glory, Narrative up here, but I’m a little disappointed in that the Path to Glory charts leave quite a few armies out… I guess the general format can be applied using unit types like Battleline, etc.

A bit of a shame that that Battletomes released before Sylvaneth don’t have the additional Rites of Battle, New Spells and Artefacts – putting these books together is a lot of work from the design standpoint alone, not to mention writing, but I really hope the game can stay consistent and that means the Battletomes need to stay consistent, otherwise you get the mess that 40K has.

Reecius July 28, 2016 1:18 pm #

Yeah, we’re hoping they release the missing info for the already released Battle Tomes on GW’s site.

Glad you liked the cast!

6. gvcolor July 28, 2016 10:41 am #

Also, the Realmgate War books are damn cool! Yes, they aren’t so cheap but there is a lot in them – from Battleplans, Fluff stories and hobby modeling how to’s. The All Gates one is particularly super.

Reecius July 28, 2016 1:17 pm #

I haven’t had a chance to read those yet, thanks for the endorsement of them.

• Adam
      Adam (RUMBL/TheDiceAbide) July 28, 2016 1:56 pm #

I’m really hoping that they add points for those Warscroll Battalions, but at the same time, keeping it to just the faction-specific rulebooks means you wont get the formation bloat that plagues 40k now.

• Blight1 July 29, 2016 3:38 am #

Think most of those formations are intended for narrative play only. There are quite a few with very powerful special rules.
        Like the Tzeentch one that never dies as long as the summoner is alive.

• Chris August 2, 2016 4:30 am #

So far they have stated that the battalions from the realmgate wars are for open and narrative play only. So no points.

7. Adam
    Adam (RUMBL/TheDiceAbide) July 28, 2016 1:53 pm #

Hey Reece, any chance you guys will separate this from Signals on iTunes? I’d like to subscribe to this one to listen to, while I just watch Signals live.

Reecius July 28, 2016 4:39 pm #

We’d have to make an entirely new iTunes account, unfortunately.

• Adam
        Adam (TheDiceAbide.com) July 28, 2016 6:21 pm #

Bah, what a pain in the ass! 🙂

PS – while I’m pro an ITC format, please don’t start off with a ton of rules changes, haha. Maybe just non-random initiative and measuring from bases. 🙂

• Blight1 July 29, 2016 3:40 am #

Haven’t got to test random initiative for more than a couple games of matched play but I will say it was hugely enjoyable in a 3 player Triumph and Treachery game. Really made it tense.

Reecius July 29, 2016 4:45 pm #

We aren’t changing anything this first season.

8. Dunmer July 28, 2016 3:39 pm #

Ive been building and painting my Slaves to darkness/Daemon army while listening to your podcasts! Got it all built and a few units painted. We are getting there!

Reecius July 28, 2016 4:31 pm #

Nice one! Post some of those pics when you can.

9. OnE473 July 28, 2016 9:21 pm #

I am playing Undead going full blown DeathRattle Grave Guard and Black Knights are amazing!

Reecius July 29, 2016 4:47 pm #

Shoot us some of the pics as you go!

10. Blight1 July 29, 2016 3:43 am #

Just wondering how the Death player’s points came out? How does he feel about the changes to summoning/his faction?

Also I am seriously considering picking up a vampire lord on zombie dragon. What do you think of the unit after fighting it? Do you think it’ll be too much for a friendly crowd? Worried about that but he is really cool.

Reecius July 29, 2016 4:47 pm #

He’s very powerful, but without mass Summonning, much more manageable.

11. Ytook July 29, 2016 5:27 am #

Good stuff!

I’m guessing you’ve seen this but the General’s Handbook FAQ clarifies that the death command trait that changes their grand alliance trait to 5+ only works on the general and units within his/her radius not just for everyone.

(Also big ups to Derpy ;P)

Reecius July 29, 2016 4:46 pm #

Nice one! That was really powerful.

12. Ishagu July 29, 2016 7:51 am #

Hey guys can I submit an AoS list for review?
    I’ve started collecting and have a clear idea of how to assemble 2k points.

13. Chris August 2, 2016 4:26 am #

I am personally playing beastmen. I have a warherd established and I am close to having the full brayherd going. They are both fast but comparably the warherd is slow even with 7-8 inch moves all around. The warherd hits really really hard though and absolutely everything is a high priority target. The number of wounds gives them some durability and when they are taken in the bullgor stampede they get a lot more hitting power on top of what they already have. I really enjoy the army because I like the simplified tactic of hit them with the big scary everything. All you have to do is charge something and it will normally be left hurting if it doesn’t die. They can also sneak around to back lines because with the musician you can get a 15-20 inch charge fairly easily if they castle up.

The brayherd on the other hand does not have as much durability. They do have lots of cheap infantry that moves very very fast. They can easily get the infantry moving the speed of most peoples cavalry and this appeals to me greatly. The strategy when you flood the board is also to just go nuts because they can’t go anywhere. I am building up to the wildstalker brayherd for 2000 points with 60 gors, 120 ungor raiders and some chariots. The beastmen are here to stay and are definitely a force to be reckoned with in AoS.

Reecius August 2, 2016 6:57 am #

Nice! Thanks for the review. I’ve been torn between beast men and Bonesplitaz for my next Warband and this made my choice even harder, lol

• Chris August 2, 2016 7:07 am #

I can send you some pictures of what I have done being painted so far if you want. A ghorgon is up next to hopefully be done next week. I get the bonesplittaz urge too. I have a snakebite 40k list so I want more boarz lol. Ya the warherd is pretty good too. I haven’t needed any shooting just because they hit so hard and move quickly. Once you get within 12 inches you have to potential to go around some peoples front lines. My 2000 point list is a doombull, a ghorgon, and 3 units of 6 minotaurs with great weapons in the bullgor stampede and then just two more ghorgons. It is nuts. So far a lot of people have had target priority problems because its all so quick and it all does good damage. The minotaurs usually do most of the damage while the ghorgon tanks the wounds on the way up but if you ignore the ghorgon he can and will eat whole units. I had one kill an entire 900 points of sylvaneth the other day after the minotaurs whiffed everything and died horribly. It was glorious.

14. LordDrakon August 4, 2016 6:52 am #