Breaking News, Eldar FAQs!

Hello everyone the new GW Faq just dropped, and everything seemed pretty ta…. Oh my gosh! Check out that Warp Spider Errata!

bad spider picture

Looks like Warp Spiders are still in the pipes, however they are not jumping around as often as they used to. Check out GW’s new errata.

warp spider errata

Combined with the new Age of Sigmar rules, and the Dreadnought errata it really looks like GW is trying their best to make their customer base happy. What do you guys think?

You can check out the rest of the Eldar/Dark Eldar/ Harelequinns FAQ here

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
53 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
bogalubov
bogalubov
5 years ago

“Also remember, the ITC is going to use the errata for dreadnoughts, because that is an official GW change to their rules, and not an unfinished FAQ.”

That statement makes no sense. The Black Library webpage is titled “FAQs and Errata”. The new errata are not posted on this official space. What makes them any different than the non-final FAQs that are also not posted?

Blight1
Blight1
Reply to  bogalubov

Because it is a change most people agree with and won’t shake up the meta at all. Personally ITC should have just taken the FAQs as a whole and then voted out what they didn’t like.
Suppose it will come to that a couple of months from now anyway.
Well here’s hoping tau is next week.

bogalubov
bogalubov
Reply to  Blight1

The whole point of not using the FAQs right away was that they weren’t final. There are plenty of things in the FAQs that the majority agrees with.

The reason I like the ITC is that it provides clarity for rule questions. I know where to find the answers. Either in the GW FAQ or in the ITC FAQ. Creating an ambiguous source of rules such as the GW Facebook page, does nothing for clarity.

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  bogalubov

Pablo misspoke, sorry for the confusion.

Panama

I feel so happy for all those people that went out a bought 50 of them lol

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  Panama

They’re still incredibly good! They won the LVO 40k Champs this year with limited jumps.

tag8833
tag8833
Reply to  Reecius

Without a doubt the 2nd best unit in the OP Eldar codex behind the Wraith Knight.

They are especially good because of the ITC objective placement rules.

If the ITC moved to fixed objective placement, it would be a much larger nerf to Warp Spiders.

Turok117
Turok117
Reply to  Panama

Lol you realize that ITC already limited it to one jump right?

abusepuppy
Reply to  Turok117

Yeah, the only thing this would really change (if the ITC implemented it) was preventing using Flickerjump in response to an Overwatch attack.

Sanchezsam2
Sanchezsam2
Reply to  abusepuppy

To be fair that is still a useful nerf however it’s not like warpspiders charge a lot of units in the first place.

Warpspiders are still very competitive.

Blight1
Blight1
5 years ago

Does this mean that all errata released will be immediately used by ITC?
Though Death from the Skies was also an official rules change from GW and ITC ignored that.

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  Blight1

We already played it that way, the post title was a bit amped up and made it seem like we did not already play it that way in the ITC.

Blight1
Blight1
Reply to  Reecius

Oh that was in response to the dread errata and I suppose the blood angel errata too.
Will the errata that came with the FAQs be used?

Requizen
5 years ago

I mean, it’s nice and all, but that’s now ITC already played it.

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  Requizen

Yeah, Pablo got a bit excited with that post tile, haha

Turok117
Turok117
Reply to  Petey Pab

I think you are over analyzing the thought they put into it. Pretty sure they just see this as a clarification not a purposeful nerf.

Reply to  Petey Pab

It may have been a “nerf” but I don’t think it was a “we think this is way too powerful so we had to nerf it and fix it” type of nerf.

I think it was a “holy crap we totally misworded this and now people have been cheesing it and jumping a million times because RAW allowed you to do that. We should probably fix this.”

Those are two very different things.

Reply to  Threllen

Of course, it’s not really possible for anyone to prove intent unless GW comes out and explains their intent themselves, but this seems like a change where you could make a strong argument they are just fixing faulty wording. It’s not a nerf like “oh yeah Warp Spiders can no longer warp jump and their weapons are S5” where that one would obviously be solely a balance-focused nerf.

Blight1
Blight1
Reply to  Threllen

I was surprised they corrected it with an errata and not a simple FAQ answer but the wording was pretty open and people have been pressuring them to write things as errata lately.

Sanchezsam2
Sanchezsam2
Reply to  Threllen

Ya I always read the flicker jump was a warpjump and that rule states you could only roll it once a turn. But flickerjump never contained that caveat. This errata is more a rewording then clarification and it seems to have always been the intent.

Jason Brown
Jason Brown
Reply to  Petey Pab

Not for nothing (can you tell I am from Brooklyn) BUT, I never used flicker jump more than once and have never thought that the spiders where anything less than stellar. I get that Mr. Imma Neckbeard played it like an all you can eat buffet of unending crazy, however it does very little to dampen the spiders efficiently.

donthemagnificent
donthemagnificent
5 years ago

Bright side, Iyanden supplement will be brought back to life. I, for one, think this is a good thing. Nothing broken in that codex. It brings something fluffy back to the game, like a battle company. I would love to see this get speed tracked in to use for tournaments. Even though I am sure that this will have to wait for the finalized FAQ, I am still ecstatic for that part of the FAQ. It is literally the first part of any of these FAQ’s that I have been overjoyed to see addressed.

abusepuppy
5 years ago

I actually really like that part, yeah. I am a huge fan of the Soulshrive as well as the Celestial Lance and getting Battle Focus makes Wraithblades a lot more viable. I don’t really understand why ITC doesn’t allow its use- I mean, yeah, Eldar aren’t lacking for good toys already, but nothing in the Iyanden book is actually good enough to make it into a competitive Eldar list.

donthemagnificent
donthemagnificent
Reply to  abusepuppy

It was a wording issue. The book changed from Codex Eldar to Codex Eldar Craftworlds. The Supplement said it was a supplement for Codex Eldar and was never updated. It would be fun to run around with an army of Ob Sec Wraithblades, though.

tag8833
tag8833
5 years ago

Aren’t there also updated rules in the Craftworld codex, and a lack of clarity how they work with Iyanden?

Eldarain
Eldarain
5 years ago

Iyanden doesn’t have a way of making Wraiths troops does it? Thought that was from Codex:Eldar itself (Craftworld has since done away with it)

donthemagnificent
donthemagnificent
Reply to  Eldarain

I believe the Iyanden book states that wraithblades/wraithguard can be brought as troops regardless of the presence of a spiritseer. I may be mistaken. I need to dig up the book again.

Loofanator
Loofanator
Reply to  abusepuppy

Being able to make a WK your warlord is pretty competitive. Some traits are amazing on a WK.

Renzo
Renzo
Reply to  Loofanator

Unfortunately you can’t roll for warlord traits if your warlord isnt a character. Still good though!

So does this mean Iyanden is legal in ITC events? Got my first one in August and was hoping to revive the old battle focussing Wraithguard for the event!

Reply to  Renzo

I thought from reading my buddy’s Iyanden book after I had this same thought that the printed version says your wraithknight becomes a character if you choose him as your warlord. I’m not positive, though.

Coblen
Coblen
Reply to  Renzo

The Iyanden FAQ that came out with 7th edition changed it so that they become characters. I think the digital copy automatically includes that change.

Laserfrog
Laserfrog
5 years ago

Solid updates. I like the clarification that the Solitaire can use Kiss of Death with the Caress. I also like how the Archangel of Pain is now at least usable against Fearless mobs, the fearless models just don’t get the wounds.

Gotta say though, the very last one on the DE page had me laughing out loud:

Q: “The Orbs of Despair are really bad. Like, really, REALLY bad. Are they seriously supposed to be that bad?”

A: “Yes.”

white925
white925
Reply to  Laserfrog

Haha poor Dark Eldar.

Drachnyen
Drachnyen
5 years ago

Got two questions regarding warp spiders

1. Does a witchfire power with a weapon profile (ex: Assault 4 S5 AP3) count as a shooting attack?

2. Does a witchfire power that affect a unit that does not need to roll (like Psychic Scream) count as a shooting attack?

donthemagnificent
donthemagnificent
Reply to  Drachnyen

A witchfire is a psychic “shooting” attack, so I would believe that they can, indeed flicker away from it. I am also pretty sure that witchfires don’t have any type of a caveat to nullify the “counts as shooting” bit for being a witchfire because it does not roll to hit. That is my 2 cents at least.

Reply to  Drachnyen

“Witchfire powers are shooting attacks.”

First sentence in the witchfire section.

Reply to  Threllen

To further elaborate. The flickerjump says “once per turn” when you are the “target of a shooting attack.”

So yeah… if a witchfire targets you (not the same thing as being under a beam for example if you aren’t targetted) there’s no reason you can’t flickerjump.

AbusePuppy
AbusePuppy
Reply to  Threllen

The GW faqs strongly imply that using any attack that bits a unit counts as “targeting”, weird as that may be.

tag8833
tag8833
Reply to  AbusePuppy

Also the ITC FAQ.

Reply to  AbusePuppy

Yeah, they really should have done a better job with the BRB FAQ.
“A beam attack does not target a unit – can you still jink?”
“Yes”
Well… ok… you can only jink when you’re the target of an attack. So you could draw parallels with other abilities that require targetting and infer they also work (i.e. – flicker jumps). But GW could have just said “any unit under a beam is considered targetted by the attack” and it would be a lot more clear.

Dakkath
Dakkath

Yays:
Iyanden is legal.
1st turn skyleap is a go. Hopefully the same can be said for mawloc burrowing.
Warp Spider flicker jump nerf.

Boos:
Didn’t recost the wriathknight.

donthemagnificent
donthemagnificent
Reply to  Dakkath

mawloc states that it can not turn 1 burrow in its entry

Jesper77
Jesper77
5 years ago

Nothing to mindblowing imo. One jump per Unit/Turn warpspiders. As ITC are playing it already. I play space elves and have only jumped twice with my spiders one time during all my years playing em outside ITC. Still one of the best units in the game; Insane movement, shooting against I, monofilament, hit n run and one Turn flickerjump.

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  Jesper77

Yeah, they still rock.

Happy-inquisitor
Happy-inquisitor
5 years ago

Clarification for the podcast; the No Escape rule is for templates hitting open top vehicles or buildings. The errata gives the occupants some small hope when hit by Wraithguard.

z3n1st
z3n1st
5 years ago

Actually the errata in regards to the Distortion weapons is specifically an amendment to the paragraph dealing with Distortion Scythe weapons, all the other D weapons still hit at STR 10, when STR needs to be determined

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  z3n1st

Yeah, we biffed that one.

Beau
Beau
5 years ago

So after runes of farseer FAQ how would be Lakota casts be affected by farseer rerolls when: casting invisible on himself, shrieking a eldar unit farseer is not in?

Beau
Beau
Reply to  Beau

Belakor sorry

Reply to  Beau

No and no. The FAQ explicitly states you cannot use his runes of the farseer if he isn’t targetted (or in the unit being targetted). Neither of those scenarios you listed targetted the Farseer. (This is also explicitly covered in the BRB in the Deny the Witch section)

Beau
Beau
5 years ago

Yeah that’s what I figured. My game group had been using it that they get deny rerolls on any deny which made casting invisibility and summoning really hard for me. I’m glad it’s in writing now to set it straight.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x