Getting Excited for Age of Sigmar!

AgeofSigmar Khorne 1080

Hey everyone, Reecius here to talk about the Frontline Gaming upcoming Age of Sigmar learning league!

So we here at Frontline Gaming will be launching an Age of Sigmar learning league among the staff, and we invite anyone so inclined to join in with us!

Age of Sigmar has been a rocky road as a game, with some very, very strong feelings provoked by it. It is the replacement for Warhammer Fantasy, and a large change from that game. It is a very casual rule set, very laid back, simple with an emphasis on fun. It lacks a great deal of structure which makes it easily accessible to new players but it can be a turn off for experienced players that enjoy organized styles of play. Plus, this new move by Games Workshop to engage their community again is awesome, and we hope the trend continues.

All of that is changing though, as Games Workshop is releasing a points system for the game! That is exciting news. Our staff at Frontline Gaming will be joining in on the fun and starting a learning league for the game. We all love the models but the game itself has been a bit luke warm for us. Having a bit more structure is very appealing for the type of game we like to play!

We’re starting with 25 wounds and adding 25 wounds a month until we’ve built full armies. So far,

1. Jason is playing Khorne
  2. Frankie is Playing Duardin Fyreslayers
  3. Mariana is playing Lizardmen
  4. Pablo is playing Stormcast Eternals
  5. Reece is playing Wood Elves (Wanderers and Sylvaneth)
  6. Brandon is playing Undead

It should be a blast! We’ve got quite a few folks that want to join in on the fun by building up their armies and sending in pictures of their progress for our blog and relating their battle reports! It should be a ton of fun.

How are all of you feeling about Age of Sigmar, these days? Would you be interested in joining a learning league for Age of Sigmar?

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells Games Workshop product at up to 25% off, every day!

37 Responses to “Getting Excited for Age of Sigmar!”

1. Dakkath April 27, 2016 12:46 am

Can someone please do a spider riders army? Assuming they’re still in.

• Scott April 27, 2016 5:18 am

They sure are, they are now called Spiderfang Grots. That would be a wicked looking force. With mortal wounds on 6’s from the 3 Spider Fang attacks they would also be quite deadly.

Reecius April 27, 2016 6:19 am

That would be super fun! I saw one of those armies at Adepticon, it’s a beautiful force.

• Dakkath April 27, 2016 11:03 pm

The all-spiders army was the one thing I wanted to try fantasy-wise, but it’s always been really low on the priority list.

2. Fagerlund April 27, 2016 2:35 am

Go go Wood Elves!

I actually quite like AoS for its simplicity. It still has depth as long as you avoid the basic mission provided in the 4p rules. It’s a nice change from all the other super complex games I play…

Also,I I made some RPG-like rules to develop your own characters based on AoS. Let me know if you’re interested in trying them out! 🙂

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:36 am

Yeah, that sounds awesome!

• Fagerlund April 28, 2016 7:46 am

Cool! It’s still a Beta though, so no guarantee of good balance or anything. 🙂
        Feel free to use and/or modify however you like. Feedback always appreciated!

3. Ytook April 27, 2016 4:40 am

I already like AoS (the fact I’ve commented on almost all of Anvil’s post so far should show that :P) but the news of the three ways to play made me very happy.

The open play sounds like a good expansion to the casual game, the campaign stuff that’s coming out sounds very cool with Warlord customisation, and the matched play is super exciting for obvious reasons 😀

I think the thing that is so encouraging about all this is how they actually engaged the community, announcing it early on Facebook and (most awesomely) talking, designing and play testing with a bunch of tournament and event leaders! Ok maybe it took them having their back to the walls to do it, but hey, they’re doing it!

I’m really hoping this works out for them and AoS picks up, I think it’s a genuinely deep game but it takes playing it a bit (and crucially playing battleplans and not the “standard” game) to get that, and it deserves a decent swing of the bat now that it’s hopefully getting a more robust backing.

But also just to show GW that this is the right direction to go. Between this, the start collecting/board game deals and the current engagement I’m more positive about GW then I’ve been in a while (as this rambling comment demonstrates).

Hopefully it works and they look at doing something similar for 40K 🙂

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:37 am

Yeah, this new turn in GW’s behavior is very encouraging! I am looking forward to seeing if they keep running with it.

4. Scott April 27, 2016 5:24 am

Can’t wait to follow the blog posts and see everyones work. Where do I send pictures? I’ve finished the force I picked up from your store. The formation is fun too.

5. Dr.insanotron April 27, 2016 6:59 am

Dude AOS is awesome! I really like the South Cost GT format you should check it out for ideas

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:37 am

We definitely will!

6. donthemagnificent April 27, 2016 7:01 am

awww no Beastmen?! Looking forward to seeing a points system for this. Only thing I dislike about wounds count for a system is that there is literally no reason to take a skaven slave over a stormvermin.

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:38 am

Mariana is actually playing Lizardmen and Beastmen, together, I believe.

We will eventually transition into points I am sure, but we’re just using wounds to get the ball rolling.

7. New HobbY GUY April 27, 2016 7:27 am

Was just about to start 40k, looking for a tactical fun game that I can attend tournies with. I overlooked AoS on account of its lack of tournament support. Do you think with this new annoucenment AoS will surpass 40k in that regard? From what I see 40k is a mess right now.

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:38 am

I don’t think it will surpass 40k, but who knows. 40k is always a mess, lol, but it is still a blast to play.

8. LordDrakon April 27, 2016 7:28 am

Check out scgt Pool system it works wonders better than wounds!

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:39 am

OK, will do!

9. Beau April 27, 2016 7:47 am

I feel like people should move away from the wound pool system and play formation vs formation to some degree since there are so many formations out there. You still have wiggle room by deciding model count. For example sylvaneth formation that requires 3 treemen and 3 units of dryads can be played in 50/75/100 model count games. As far as I can tell that’s the only balance that the game has going for it right now (I need to look into the South Coast GT format still though, sounds interesting)

After seeing the preliminary FAQ the game is in fact as broken as we suspected so I hope you guys have some good honorability! Beware the Undead and Tzeentch Summoners!

Reecius April 27, 2016 8:39 am

Yeah, we will tone down some of the crazier stuff for sure, we’re playing for fun and a laugh.

• Ytook April 27, 2016 9:14 am

A new summoning system has been confirmed as part of the matched play rules in the upcoming update 🙂

Reecius April 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Ah, good! Yeah, summoned units summoning is silly, lol

10. Dr.insanotron April 27, 2016 9:52 am

So it was officially announced GW is putting out a tourney system called “match play” in the me Generals Handbook that’s coming out this summer

Reecius April 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Yeah, we saw that! We’re pumped for it.

11. Jason Wolfe April 27, 2016 9:55 am

I think the wound total system is a good start, but I wonder if you should have a tax for the “caster/hero” tags. 10 wounds of troops is not equivalent to 10 wounds of models flagged with “caster” or “hero” because the 10 wounds with those flags has additional spells and powers. I feel like “caster” ought cost a wound as a tax.

• Beau April 27, 2016 11:22 am

I would gladly pay a wound tax on casters now that it’s confirmed you can stack mystic shield to 1+

Reecius April 27, 2016 12:44 pm

We’re limiting it to 1 Hero/Monster/Caster/etc. to start.

12. Scott April 27, 2016 10:11 am

I’ve been posting in the fantics forum some thought about the game as we go. Join in!

Reecius April 27, 2016 4:09 pm

We’ll check it out!

13. AngryPanda April 27, 2016 10:21 am

Couldn’t you put all that effort into some game from a company that actualy wants to support you and allow you to sell their minis and such?

Reecius April 27, 2016 12:45 pm

We do sell their minis, actually, and they actually do support us quite a bit. I understand what you’re saying, but we’re all genuinely enthused to start AoS, everyone in the office is getting fired up.

• AngryPanda April 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Fair enough. I was under the impression they had gone after online retailers but I don’t actualy know all that much about this stuff. And I freely admit that loyalty to GW despite their attitude is one my pet peeves. Someone needs to have a positive view of the hobby after all, I can admire that.

• MidnightSun April 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Yeah, sure, I’ll go off and play Warmahordes or X-Wing or any of those other games with models that look like utter dogshit.

Oh, wait, what am I saying, I play the game as a part of a whole hobby, and don’t want to throw good money after bad buying from not-GW.

• AngryPanda April 28, 2016 4:13 pm

To each their own. Some people do actualy believe GW makes the best models and if I learned only one thing (and I did..) its to buy the minis you like best. Sigmar stuff just looks like chubby 80s metal cover images to me.
        I would rather have seen them throw support behind Kings of War, which could still be with old (and new realy) Gw fantasy range models. It may be hard to understand but there are other people who like “the whole hobby” without feeling like that entails blind loyalty to just one company.

14. Anvil
    Anvil April 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Even more reason to get my armies finished with painting. I’ll have to try to keep up with you guys! Almost done with the core of my force, but I want to finish the rest to then move on to Undead or 30k.

15. crispy86 April 27, 2016 7:23 pm

I use this warscroll builder thing for building armies and it works pretty well.