Tuesday Night Fight: Wolfstar vs. Tau

tuesday night fight 4-12

We’ve got a sloberknocker for you, tonight! Wolfstar vs. Monster Mash Tau on our Twitch Channel, tonight at 5:30pm, PST on our Twitch channel!

Despite his distaste of Deathstars, Reecius agreed to pilot the Wolfstar vs. Frankie’s Monster Mash Tau! He plans on turning on his powers, going super saiyan, and then creaming Frankie with no mercy! Just got to look out for those stomps on the Stormsurges and it should be no problem.

space.wolf.01

• Scouts x 6

White Scars Librarius Conclave

• Librarian: Bike lv 2
  • Librarian: Bike lv 2
  • Librarian: Bike lv 2

tau.01

In order for the Monster bash Tau to win this game I am going to need to roll some serious 6’s on stomps. Once they Deathstar is powered up shooting will be pointless. I might be able to get a couple of lucky wounds through his defenses but not going to count on it. My large blasts from the Stormsurges will be my best chance at sneaking in a couple of wounds.

If the stomps are not on point, I am going to have to run away from the star and try to win the mission. If the star kills the Stormsurges the wheels will fall off the bus really quickly. I am going to need to pull out all the stops and bring the pain in order to win the game tonight.
Will the Stormsurges be enough to win the fight? Or will the Wolfstar be to resilient and crush the poor tunas.

Farsight Enclave

Riptide Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector x1 220

Riptide Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector x1 220

Fast Attack

Drones Marker x4 56

Lord of War

Stormsurge Pulse Driver Cannon, Early Warning Override, Shield Generator x2 860

30 Responses to “Tuesday Night Fight: Wolfstar vs. Tau”

1. The decimator April 12, 2016 1:51 pm

I honestly don’t know who will win and who I want to win! I’m going to miss the stream unfortunately because I can’t stay up until 4 am again on a school night but good luck to both of you!

Reecius April 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Sorry you can’t make it, buddy.

2. Blightstar April 12, 2016 1:53 pm

What distaste? He always plays that ork-bikerstar of his.

😉

Reecius April 12, 2016 2:33 pm

It’s not a Deathstar! lolol

3. 1PlusArmour April 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Yay new stream time! I can be awake for the whole game!

Reecius April 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Yeah, it is a better time for most folks it seems. Glad it works for you!

4. Jason Wolfe April 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Why are there wolf guard terminators in that list? Can’t Wulfen do every last thing those termies can, but much better and more reliably? The Wulfen might even make it into melee against things that move 12 inches a turn.

Are they required for Champions of Fenris?

• 1PlusArmour April 12, 2016 4:24 pm

You need 2 elites choices for Company of the Great Wolf. The jury seems to be out on the Lone Wolf situation, so it usually falls to Scouts… or I guess Terminators.

Wulfen are extremely points heavy once you start kitting them out, I suspect that the Terminators are probably actually the cheaper choice.

I’m interested to find out the direction ITC is going given the recent changes with Space Wolves.

• elphilo April 13, 2016 4:29 am

He could also take the wolves unleashed and save some points with blood claws just walking on the board.

Reecius April 13, 2016 10:37 am

Yeah, i just brought the Terminators as a fun bit to the list. They’re terrible but I knew the Deathstar itself was all I needed. The game would come down to Frankie stomping me out or not, everything else was largely superfluous.

5. Ryantsg April 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Is the Tau list legal? I believe if you select to use the Farsight rules you are forced in to Farsight Signature systems. Irridium is a Tau Empire Signature System.

I hope I’m wrong it will change my list!

• 1PlusArmour April 12, 2016 4:22 pm

It got changed in the new Farsight Enclaves (as opposed to Mont’Ka) to say that they can take from BOTH! Pretty crazy.

6. Doodoo April 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Farsight Enclaves can mix and match relics as of the most recent update

7. Trueknight April 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Shoot! I have to get used to the new time!

8. Bryan April 12, 2016 6:27 pm

….so then…um…that was something! Thanks for the show! Can Tau run a culexus effectively without a Rhino to hop him around in?

• 1PlusArmour April 12, 2016 6:34 pm

It’s tough, but not impossible. It’s very points intensive to give him any sort of transport unfortunately, so he’s pretty much stuck on foot.

Reecius April 13, 2016 9:27 am

Yeah, I hate Deathstar armies (if that wasn’t abundantly clear, lol), they just suck the fun out of the game, IMO.

But they can only run one on foot, unfortunately.

• Bryan April 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Yeah, you seemed more out out by your own deathstar then frankie, who was getting mauled by it!

Do you think the culexus on foot can work for Tau? I’m thinking of getting one myself, more as a deterrent I guess for limiting the movement of enemy psykers/invisible units. Seems a bit terrain dependent though, as I can’t imagine he’ll last long if he can be shot at!

Reecius April 13, 2016 6:58 pm

A Culexus on foot is very unforgiving. You have to deploy him correctly or he does nothing. It leave shim vulnerable to the things that smoke him too, like impact hits, vector strikes, etc. But, he makes a HUGE difference when played right. He turns an invincible deathstar into something you can deal with.

And yeah, I seriously do not like Deathstars. I think they’re bad for the game.

• Bryan April 14, 2016 12:26 am

Thanks! Cheapest way of getting him a transport that I could figure out, is taking an inquisition detachment, for an inquisitor with servo skulls, 3 acolytes, a Rhino and have the culexus ride in that.

Reecius April 14, 2016 9:25 am

That’s a good game plan!

9. Dakkath April 12, 2016 7:37 pm

So, who won? Can we get a batrep? I’m curious to see if Frankie’s super-luck with stomps holds out or if the stormsurges finally get run over.

• vercingatorix April 12, 2016 10:41 pm

11 stomps and non sixes about sums up the battle.

Reecius April 13, 2016 10:38 am

Frankie rolled 4 1’s on stomps, no 6’s. Therefore, I won, haha.

10. DevianID April 13, 2016 2:05 am

So on the topic of FnP on Riptides I know that with every passed save it certianly seems like FnP was the obvious choice, but other options for the points help shore up bad matchups much better than extra riptide wounds. For example, by dropping iridium and fnp, you get enough points for an assassin to 1) discourage death stars and 2) can protect the entire tau army from maledictions like terrify causing riptides to run off the table. Other options for dropping riptides fnl is the vsg, which saves much more wounds from shooting for the whole army than fnp on riptides. This is especially true versus D weapons and blasts, which each cause many more wounds than the one hit they get versus a vsg shield. Just try it a few times as a favor to us.

As for this game, only mistake imho was charging the death star. That charge accelerates the surges dying by one turn, which can let the star make those final charges on turn 6 and 7 to get extra points. With hit and run, its not like the stormsurge charge took away his bonus attacks or anything.

• Dakkath April 13, 2016 5:02 am

Fun fact: fnp on 3 riptides costs 105 points. A vsg costs 100. Easy switch.

• abusepuppy April 13, 2016 6:24 am

Word. Being protected/immune to Grav is insanely valuable, way more so than having FNP. A Centstar will do ~11 wounds to a Riptide, which will kill it even with FNP up most of the time- on the other hand, the Shield will stop 100% of the wounds so long as it stays up, and most Grav-heavy lists don’t bring many good ways to deal with it.

Reecius April 13, 2016 10:38 am

Good points,m DevianID. I think there is certainly room for customization.

11. Nightman April 14, 2016 11:17 am

Can’t find the game on twitch yet.