Tuesday Night Fight Pre-Game! Tau vs. Big Mek Stompa Orks!

Hello everyone hopefully you are ready for a bloody game. We’ve got the new Tau vs. Stompa lead Orks! Should be a great game so don’t forget to tune in. The game will be live on Twitch: Frontlinegaming_TV at 7:00 PM Pst. Also we will be giving away a Vindicare Assassin to one lucky viewer.

Tau List:

Keith’s (A.K.A. DirtyDeeds) Tau Empire
Codex: Tau Empire Combined Arms Detachment
Commander – Drone Controller, Iridium Armor, Two Marker Drones
Riptide – Ion Accelerator, Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Early Warning Override
Riptide – Heavy Burst Cannon, Twin Linked Smart Missile System, Early Warning Override
Strike Team – x5
Strike Team – x5
Lord of War
Stormsurge – Pulse Driver Cannon, Twin Linked Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Shield Generator, Early Warning Override, Advanced Targeting System
Void Shield Generator (3 Shields)
Optimized Stealth Cadre
Ghostkeel – (Ghostkeel A) Early Warning Override, Twin Linked Burst Cannon, (Ghostkeel B) Early Warning Override, Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Target Lock
Stealth Suits – x3, Fusion Blaster x1
Stealth Suits – x3, Fusion Blaster x1
Drone Net
Marker Drone – x4
Marker Drone – x4
Marker Drone – x4
Marker Drone – x4

This is a nasty Tau army! It has all the tools it needs to blast the poor Orks to smithereens. We’ll have to see if the new bargain basement priced Big Mek Stompa with Boss Mek Buzzgob can make the difference.

Orks 1850pts
Big Mek Mega KFF 1 125
Grots 11 35
Grots 11 35
Tank Bustas 10 130
Totals 84 1850

About White925

Frankie is the greatest 40K player on the planet. Nuff Said.

54 Responses to “Tuesday Night Fight Pre-Game! Tau vs. Big Mek Stompa Orks!”

1. Loopy December 14, 2015 8:25 pm #

Wooo! Looking forward to it.

Reecius December 15, 2015 10:39 am #

My Orks hope to go first! haha

• Vercingatorix December 15, 2015 12:39 pm #

haha, yes. That will be pretty huge I think.

2. Kevin lantz December 14, 2015 8:28 pm #

Commander with drone controller seems unnecessary to me

• DevianID December 14, 2015 9:16 pm #

If he is taking the commander for a hard to get warlord (compared to the ethereal) then the drone controller is only 8 points more, thus a steal. Looking at some of his choices, it seems the Tau player was trying to take a smattering of everything to take all comers instead of focusing on one thing, hence the single Stormsurge and only 2 out of 3 on the Riptide and Ghostkeel units. With a single Stormsurge you want 4 Markerlight hits to get 4 D missiles, 2 to ignore cover and 2 to hit on 2s, so 8 hits total, and his list expects 11 Markerlight hits, giving only a 3 Markerlight buffer to account for casualties. All in all a good list for take all comers, if a bit unfocused for my play style.

• abusepuppy December 14, 2015 11:18 pm #

For 8pts, he’s bringing one squad of Drones from BS3 to BS5, which is a pretty good change. I think that choice, at least, is a good one. The rest of the list… not so much.

• Kevin lantz December 15, 2015 12:57 am #

But why bother buying two markerlights drones with him?

• abusepuppy December 15, 2015 1:13 am #

For the token extra Markerlights? They’re cheaper there than they are in squads by themselves (12pts vs 14pts.) Offhandedly I would say he has _slightly_ more Markerlights than the army needs, but probably only slightly if at all.

3. Vercingatorix December 14, 2015 9:00 pm #

This is almost exactly the list I want to run in an upcoming tournament because I thought it might be good vs. Tau. How fortuitous!

• Vercingatorix December 14, 2015 9:10 pm #

This may be one of the few times that outflanking the ork bikers would be the best call. I think if they are scouted forward they will just be annihilated but if they come in from reserves they may be able to hide better for a turn and then start multi-assaulting and murdering everything.

If he decides to scout them I don’t think they’ll survive a turn of tau shooting. Even with a 4+ invul & FnP. The number of wounds will be staggering.

My prediction is the trucks, bikes, and bustas, and possibly the grots disappearing very quickly. Then the Stompa running around and killing the majority of the Tau army.

I think its going to come down to the maelstrom roles and how many objectives that grots/tau are camping on and how many “Kill a unit” objectives are rolled.

• DevianID December 14, 2015 9:22 pm #

I think the game will be decided on the tank bustas. If the 30 rockets shoot first they can drop the vsg, opening the Tau up to the main guns of the stompa. If the Tau go first or otherwise prevent the Orks from capitalizing on the rockets then the VSG will most likely make the game rather one sided, as ork small arms will be unable to kill drones, keeping the Markerlight net intact.

Reecius December 15, 2015 10:39 am #

First turn is going to be huge this game!

• Kevin lantz December 15, 2015 12:59 am #

I would worry more about gladius as an ork player than tau

• Vercingatorix December 15, 2015 5:58 am #

Gladius, superfriends, eldar of any variety, necrons, Tau, imperial guard, KDK, we have so many options!

4. ntdars December 14, 2015 10:11 pm #

Any Ork victory over Tau makes me feel all warm inside.

5. jy2
    Jy2 December 14, 2015 11:18 pm #

Who’s playing the Orks?

• iNcontroL December 14, 2015 11:42 pm #

Reece I imagine

6. Noah December 15, 2015 3:19 am #

How funny I revamped my Ork army list after having played in a tournament with the Big Mek Stompa and it is very similar to this list. Looking forward to the game!

7. Freeman December 15, 2015 3:34 am #

I’d have expected to see more meks in the stompa. That’s where the bullshit lives.

• Vercingatorix December 15, 2015 6:02 am #

Whats the rules for firing out of a superheavy? It’s got 10 firepoints, I was thinking of a big unit of Burnas for Meks and flame thrower goodyness.

• abusepuppy December 15, 2015 6:17 am #

I’d rather go with Lootas- they can crack open transports and bring down FMCs/flyers with reasonable facility, but still get the Meks built into the unit. Burnas discourage assaults by hordes and light infantry, but Stomp does a pretty good job of that already.

(You shoot out of a superheavy the same way you do any other transport, incidentally, so up to ten models can fire from the Mek Stompa.)

• Vercingatorix December 15, 2015 9:48 am #

I meant with moving distance. If you can move 12 and flame that would be awesome.

I find the stomps to not discourage hordes all that much honestly. 10 daemonettes can hold up a superheavy for a turn or two pretty easily and the burnas would make that impossible. I know that I hold up knights with that tactic fairly regularly.

• blight December 15, 2015 10:09 am

But if you move over 6 you have to fire snap shots. Burnas would be very inefficient except as overwatch.

• Vercingatorix December 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Blight, that’s why I was asking. “If you can move 12…that would be awesome”

• blight December 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Well you have your answer. Same rules as normal transports except multiple units can ride along.
            Lootas are still the best things to get into your stompa.
            Though the addition on a character with mega armor makes it so your unit always counts as stationary for shooting at the cost of overwatch.

• abusepuppy December 15, 2015 5:23 pm

I’d say you’re like 50/50 to hold them for a turn, depending on the results of your Leadership test, but with Daemonettes it’s definitely dicey. You’re gonna lose ~6 of them in the combat unless your saves are hot, you can’t hurt it no matter what you roll, so Instability is gonna eat you up hard.

8. 1PlusArmour December 15, 2015 5:34 am #

Looking forward to it!

9. fluger December 15, 2015 2:43 pm #

I haven’t seen this answered elsewhere, which rules are you using for the Big Mek Stompa? Is it this one? http://i.imgur.com/QakOQCt.jpg

• blight December 15, 2015 3:45 pm #

Yeah the latest rules for the big mek are from the apoc 2nd edition book. Not sure what’s better having two cannons or having one cannon and a D melee weapon.

• abusepuppy December 15, 2015 5:24 pm #

I would keep the Str D melee- it’s a huge boon against Wraithknights, Stormsurges, and Brass Scorpions, all of which are pretty common sights these days.

• DevianID December 15, 2015 10:08 pm #

Strength D melee is good in some matches, but the extra gun is always good. Just depends on what your list is scarred of. Personally I dont trust the Stompa in close combat versus other melee D super heavies, like the Wraithknight, as the chance they will kill you before you swing is rather high.

• abusepuppy December 15, 2015 11:26 pm

The Wraithknight, at least when I see it, usually isn’t armed with the sword- some people use it, to be sure, but mostly I see them with the Wraithcannons because the difference between no shooting and Str D shooting is much bigger than the difference between Str10 melee and StrD melee.

Obviously a Wraithknight with the sword will give the Stompa bad times (unless you’re in cover when he charges you!), but there are a lot of other things that the Claw is good for killing that Orks otherwise struggle with.

10. Nightman December 15, 2015 2:45 pm #

Have you tried the gun wagons for tank bustas? Only played against them but 13 front 12 sides seemed quite good for the points.

11. Narfwak December 15, 2015 9:19 pm #

What a perfect game. Hits every beat:

– Reece getting seized on after deploying in the open: ☑
    – Reece getting salty while getting shot off the table: ☑
    – Suddenly the dice make things interesting and opponent loses half their army: ☑
    – The salt clears away and Reece finds himself winning the game out of nowhere: ☑

What a ride! DEM FUCKIN’ GROTS MANG

Reecius December 15, 2015 9:34 pm #

Haha, yeah, that was a crazy game, lol. Grot killers FTW!

• 1PlusArmour December 16, 2015 6:26 am #

– Lots of checkboxes in chat: ☑

Stompa OP, renerf Orks 😉

• ntdars December 16, 2015 11:53 am #

And a mod won an Assassin…

Reecius December 16, 2015 12:16 pm #

Lol, our devious plot to give 1+Armor a $20 model paid off! Muahaha, we are so evil and sneaky, haha! =P

12. tag8833 December 16, 2015 12:04 am #

A couple rules notes. “All of the weapons fired by the unit snap fire that turn” is a pretty Janky read. It is correct via RAW, but dubious based on RAI. We’ve always read it that it implies that only weapons shooting at the Ghostkiel are snapshooting. It desperately needs an FAQ much like every other formation rule in the Tau book. The rules writers did a poor job writing solid rules in the Tau release.

Making Ignore cover -2 to cover is a super good idea. It isn’t as good an idea as limiting the number of scatter Lasers jetbikes can take, or fixing the points of Wraith Knights or limited a Void Shield protection to models under it, but still a good idea.

The Ork list you posted doesn’t seem to match the list played. No Lootas for instance. The Stompa can’t take 2 Deff Kannons and a D close combat weapon. If you take both Deff Kannons you are S10 AP2 in CC.

Great Batrep. Really interesting game. I need some more playtesting with my Big Mek Stompa. I tend to dominate Maelstrom with my Orks. The Stompa is an easy way for opponents to keep up.

Reecius December 16, 2015 11:39 am #

Eh, I wasn’t too worried about the Snap Shot thing, although it certainly needs to be addressed, you are right.

I did change my list, I forgot the Stompa only held 20, not 30, so my opponent was gracious enough to let me swap out the Tank Bustas for a small unit of Lootas to ride in it. And yes, I totally Forgot I didn’t have the D melee weapon! I don’t think it would have mattered but yeah, that was a goof on my part.

Crazy game though, haha, that was good fun! And yeah, the Stompa will be a meta changer for sure.

13. Alex Yuen December 16, 2015 12:46 pm #

Go team Frankie!!

Reecius December 16, 2015 12:52 pm #

• Alex Yuen December 16, 2015 2:54 pm #

Boss, Frankie willing to put out 😉

14. Malekith December 16, 2015 2:41 pm #

Hi Reece,

great game and congrats to your ork win. So it’s true what they say: It’s not over until it’s over^^)

One question: How where you able to fire your evil eye backwards at the riptide? I know you adressed firering arcs of walkers a lot e.g. imperial knights. In my opinion you only have a forward facing 180° arc with walkers.

Reecius December 16, 2015 2:47 pm #

Thank you, and, good point! I assumed it was 360 degrees on the Stompa as his head is like a turret, it can rotate all the way around. I hope I am not wrong on that as that was a game winning moment.

15. f0rkt December 17, 2015 8:24 am #

Sorry no turrent on the Stompa (or other Super Heavy Walker). They all have a fixed forward facing firing arc.

• jy2
      jy2 December 17, 2015 9:34 am #

Must’ve been a Linda Blair Exorcist Stompa model.

• DirtyDeeds December 17, 2015 11:32 am #

!! I demand a rematch!

Reecius December 17, 2015 11:33 am #

I cheated!! Maybe!! Haha, dirty Orks fight dirty! =P

16. RoockieBoy December 21, 2015 5:22 am #

Da Orks are back in da fight! Awesome game Reece! I tried the big mek stompa in my last tournament, but decided to go with the klaw-frenzy version, using 2 cc weapons and 2 flamebelchas (Hellstorm template S6AP3) for the anti-horde. I also had more meks than you did, and they paid off in my 2nd game, restoring 6-7 HP to the Stompa from Lascannon fire.
    Here´s more: