signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

2-9-15

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.

News

•  Forge World releases a TON of teasers from the Horus Heresy weekend event.

HHW-01 HHW-05 HHW-06 HHW-07 HHW-08 HHW-09 HHW-11

blogger-image--13231791 blogger-image-14311311 blogger-image-55498817 blogger-image--159833054 blogger-image--239155054 blogger-image--622942765 blogger-image--1219878641 blogger-image-1273708678 blogger-image-1597570818 blogger-image--1867554355 blogger-image-1887202968 HHWeekender60 HHWeekender61

• New Reaver Titan weapon arms!

rtchainfist1 rtvolcano

• New renders from Last Saga, looking good!

civilion the council

• Infinity shows off a resculpt of an awesome Ariadna AP HMG trooper.

• Pictures floating around the net of an awesome Sisters conversion using Dream-Forge Crusaders and Female heads.

dream forge sisters conversoins

• Spartan Games is releasing Halo minis for a starship game.

CovenantPresentationPage1 UNSCPresentationPage1

Upcoming ITC Events

• Big ITC update!

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

•  The pictures of the rumored new Bloodthirster we’ve been hearing about for ages look INCREDIBLE.
  • Wrathmongers and Skullreapers: new Khorne units look pretty cool for Fantasy.
  • Harlie codex rumored to be next on deck.

Rant Session

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

• Wraiths have been voted to ignore terrain penalties when assaulting through cover.
  • Why Tabling is auto 7 points in ITC.
  • Fast Attack and heavy Support points in Scouring and Big Guns and ITC format.

Completed Commissions

•  Awesome level 2 Dark Elf commission!021 020 019 018 017 016 015 014 013 012 011 010 009 008 007

List Review

42 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40k and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!”

1. bigpig February 10, 2015 1:14 am #

Quantity vs quality… all I gots to say lol 😉

PS I’m gonna win it

2. colinsherlow February 10, 2015 5:09 am #

What about rules lawaring for scouring/guns?

• Reecius February 10, 2015 4:08 pm #

I don’t understand the question.

3. Tom February 10, 2015 5:11 am #

Love the show, I gotta voice my opinion on this though.. Am I the only one who finds the reading of the ITC standings completely uninteresting? It’s just 15-20 minutes of reading names of people I for the most part have never heard of or will never meet. The only people I picture being interested are people participating and they are probably checking the standings themselves anyway. I wouldn’t be completely opposed to it if you blasted through it but it just goes on and on.

Just throwing my two cents in there. I could be alone on this.

• Messy0 February 10, 2015 5:37 am #

Agreed, totally love the show and listen every Monday (Saturday show) and Tuesday on my way to/from work (UK time depending). I think the ITC rankings just don’t appeal to the masses world wide but i totally understand its a way to plug the LVO and grow the ITC. Maybe when we have more ITC events in the UK and i’m the top Tau player in the world i will be more interested! =P.

What I would love to hear is more tactics on the show. My life hasn’t been the same since the slow down on video battle reports!

• Hotsauceman1 February 10, 2015 10:15 am #

I agree, as much as I love the itc, it’s just boring listing off things. Which is why this podcast or any doesn’t work with just one person. I would listen to Reece and Frankie even if it wasn’t war gaming because they are funny together. But reading ITC rankings don’t give material

• Reecius February 10, 2015 4:09 pm #

Yeah, videos went on hiatus while we transition to our new office and in prep for the LVO. We will get them back in action.

• iNcontroL February 10, 2015 11:20 am #

I can see for a lot of people this wouldn’t be as cool.. but for those that ARE working hard to get up in rankings having your name read/discussed on the top podcast is pretty cool. I think just flat listing names can be a bit drab so obviously if they can it is more awesome to discuss results they recently got, what list they run or something to dress it up.. hardly possibly all the time but definitely would make it more interesting.

Advertising their ITC and the people that are succeeding within it won’t go away though so I would just offer up ways to improve it as opposed to being a player that is not highly ranked on that system but will complain when it is mentioned 🙂

• Hotsauceman1 February 10, 2015 11:49 am #

I agree INcontrol. I suggest make it a drinking game. Anytime they mess up a name or say their own name, take a shot.

• Reecius February 10, 2015 4:10 pm #

Thanks for the honest feedback. This time we spent a lot of time talking about the ITC as we had a lot of catching up to do. We will find a way to make it less obtrusive and punch it up a bit.

• Hotsauceman1 February 10, 2015 5:32 pm #

Again, drinking game. or better yet. Give fun facts about the participants like “loves long walks on the beach”

4. Arrias February 10, 2015 5:53 am #

Spartan Games…

Is making Halo ships!?

Shut up and take my money.

• Reecius February 10, 2015 12:07 pm #

Right?!

• TinBane February 11, 2015 9:30 am #

Are you actually going to play the game though?

Personally, not a big fan of either spartans rules system, especially as reece points out, the exploding sixes. Their original ship design doesn’t amaze me either. Kind of bodes poorly for ongoing interest, after they run out of bungee designed minis. So I’ll pick up some of these as collector peices, but will probably never play.

5. Bridges60 February 10, 2015 6:15 am #

That demon prince is samus, he is from the battle for calth. Horus heresy when the word bearers launch the shadow crusade

• Nova star February 10, 2015 8:54 am #

He’s actually the first deamon prince encountered by the Luna Wolves and he changes one of them into a spawn and they freak out, this is in the novel Horus Rising

• Reecius February 10, 2015 12:08 pm #

Ahhh, yeah, I remember that.

• Reecius February 10, 2015 12:08 pm #

He looks like a rat!

• Bridges60 February 12, 2015 4:53 am #

Agreed. see kids, this is why we don’t go to disney world.

6. z3n1st February 10, 2015 8:43 am #

For the LVO are the new GW FAQs for the main rule book going to be in effect: i.e. characters no longer grant infiltrate to units that don’t have it and vice versa.

• Reecius February 10, 2015 4:10 pm #

It’s perfectly crap timing, but we’re working on it.

7. tag February 10, 2015 9:47 am #

I would have loved to hear more in depth reasoning for the Wraiths effectively having grenades ruling. The rule “When moving, Canoptek Wraiths can move over all other models and terrain as if they were open ground.”
    Compare that to the rule for Jump Packs: “A model can move over all other models and terrain freely”

How do you read “As if it were open ground” and “Freely” differently enough that it extends the rule from the movement phase to the charge (assault) phase of the game? It would seem that a better RAW argument if you wanted to make Wraiths strike at initiative would be to invoke the beast rule: “Beasts are not slowed by difficult terrain (even when charging)”. Is there some bit of rule that I am overlooking?

————————————————————-

Are you also granting Wraiths the ability to charge through an enemy unit as if it were open terrain into a unit behind them? What happens if the charge move is insufficient and part of the wraith unit would end up on top of another model after completing the charge move. Do they all fail the charge? Do you reduce the charge movement so that you can legally place them?

———————————

I was also fascinated by your approach to Tabling. I’ve helped run 3 RTTs so far using the BAO mission packet, and played in a couple as well, and it was never unclear to me or any of our judges that tabling resulted in max points. However, from my perspective it doesn’t make logical sense that it would net you max secondary points.

The secondary mission is scoring short term tactical objectives. The idea that those were retroactively not achieved because of tabling is a bit silly. A more logical approach would be to grant the person who did the tabling max secondary points for the remaining turns of the game while the tabled player gets 0. But if I table someone on turn 5, and I am down by 4 secondary points, I shouldn’t from a logical point of view win the secondary.

This is especially important, because the Army Comp rules coupled with the 7th edition meta, and various matchup problems result in quite a lot of tablings. In our last RTT 43% of games awarded Max points to one participant (http://app.torrentoffire.com/#/tournament/Flying-Monkeys-II). In our previous tournament it was about the same. In the tourney I played on Sunday, it was 54% (http://app.torrentoffire.com/#/tournament/LVO-Prep-at-Wizards-Asylum/). While not quite all of these were complete tablings most of them probably were.

All that being said, rules don’t have to be logical. And you can award Max points to tablings if you want, I just thought the reasoning was backwards.

• AbusePuppy February 10, 2015 12:00 pm #

I would say the difference in wording is very important. Wraiths “move over all other models and terrain as if they were open ground,” even when they end their movement on a piece of terrain. (Though, of course, they can’t end their movement on a model.) Contrawise, Jump units “can move… freely” over terrain and units, but still must count the effects of moving into or out of terrain.

That’s a key point because the “reduced to Initiative 1” effect of terrain explicitly takes place with both Difficult and Dangerous terrain _even if your movement is not slowed_ by the terrain piece in question. That’s why Jump units and Beasts are still affected by such terrain during assaults. Wraiths (and C’tan), however, do not merely ignore the slowing effect of the terrain, they ignore the terrain entirely, treating it as open ground. A unit that moves across open ground strikes at its normal Initiative, and thus Wraiths will do so as well.

>What happens if the charge move is insufficient and part of the wraith unit would end up on top of another model after completing the charge move?

Wraiths explicitly may not end their movement on top of enemy models. If you cannot legally move a model such that it completes a charge, the charge fails. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

• tag February 10, 2015 1:52 pm #

Thanks, I see where you are coming from now. You have essentially added an implied “(Whether Moving, Charging, or Falling back)” to the Wraithflight rule in the same way that it is used in the Skyborne Rule for Jump Units, while my interpretation would have limited it to Moving only.

I think it will cause many, many complicated charge distance calculations in light of the size of a unit of Wraiths, but I guess those issues existed before as well for jump units, and they just didn’t come up often.

In all of my games of 40k I’ve never had someone attempt to charge a Jump unit through a bubble wrapping unit, but I feel like it won’t be long before I see a unit of Wraiths do it.

• tag February 10, 2015 2:26 pm #

And since GW just removed the Coherence requirement for Assault (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata), A unit of 6 Wraiths only needs to be able to place 1 model on the far side of a bubble wrapping unit to successfully make a charge now, right?

The other 5 can legally just hang out 1″ away from the bubblewrap and obstruct their movement something fierce.

• z3n1st February 10, 2015 5:01 pm

yeah more stupid from GW

• AbusePuppy February 10, 2015 5:50 pm

You don’t even need to be 1″ away from it- that rule is waived during the assault phase.

8. Hotsauceman1 February 10, 2015 10:40 am #

I’m surprised you didn’t mention these

• Reecius February 10, 2015 4:21 pm #

Will do on next cast, this one was running long.

9. Thomas February 10, 2015 11:00 am #

Suggestion for the BAO….have the players for the 40k championship bring a word from any 40k book, codex or supplement and have Frankie try to pronounce it. If he fails, that player gets a small prize…an extra raffle ticket if you are holding a raffle or a FLG tea cozy..or anything else you may have. Just trying to spread the fun….

• Reecius February 10, 2015 4:22 pm #

Lol!

• white925 February 10, 2015 8:52 pm #

we would end up giving away to many prizes and go bankrupt.

10. Thomas February 10, 2015 12:10 pm #

New FAQ/Errata out. Among other things they add “and vice versa” regarding IC and joining infiltrating units. So no more given IC infiltrate and joining a non-infiltrating unit.

• Reecius February 10, 2015 2:41 pm #

Yeah, saw that.

• bigpig February 10, 2015 6:30 pm #

on Black Library? I just went there and it still showed 2014 at the last update

• Thomas February 10, 2015 10:59 pm #

On the GW web.

11. LuisUTK February 10, 2015 7:53 pm #

ITC Army standings still seem off. I have played Necrons at 4 ITC events and my score hasnt really changed. 🙁
    Not that I have a chance at taking the lead or anything but it would be nice to know how I am actually doing.

• Reecius February 11, 2015 4:03 pm #

Some events didn’t get me all the data I needed to log scores. For example, some events didn’t get me who played what armies at events, so I only got overall score, not what army to associate with each player.

12. Hotsauceman1 February 10, 2015 9:32 pm #

I hope the cannonade is something like a str 8 plasma shot with skyfire

• Reecius February 11, 2015 4:03 pm #

That might be a bit much, lol =)

• Hotsauceman1 February 11, 2015 4:17 pm #