Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!

signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

12-13-14

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• Last Episode we said Warmachine Weekend was in Florida, but Reecius got confused in his old age and got confused. The event is in St. Louis, MO. Sorry for the confusion!
  • The results of the vote to change Invisibility or not came in.

Vote to Change Invisibility Results

• GW has new BA Terminators and a Terminator Librarian up for Pre-Order! Shoot your orders in to Orders@FrontlineGaming.org
  • Toughest Girls in the Galaxy are now shipping some of their hotly anticipated models!

tgitg2 tgitg

• Gamecraft releases a new SciFi building and it looks slick! 15mm scale

gamecraft2 gamecraft

• Pathfinder releases some pre-painted minis of their Iconic Characters.

pathfinder6 pathfinder5 pathfinder4 pathfinder3 pathfinder2 pathfinder1

• DzC shows off a new named character Hellhog for the Resistance, and a piece of art showing off the bridge of an Avenger ship.

hellhogavenger

• Colockwork Goblin shows a new release, a little walker tank that looks pretty slick.

clockwork goblin

• Heavy Gear posts a picture of their special December release, a Chibi Hunter, and it’s so cute!

chibi hunter

• Privateer Press unveils Iron Kingdoms Unleashed Adventure Pack.

AdventureKit box-bottom

Upcoming ITC Events

•  Today is the last day to get your TSHFT hotel room, so be sure to do that if you want to go. It is in January and is an ITC event.

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

•  Pics all over the net of what appear to be new Necrons. These may be conversions but they look pretty awesome. Warriors have a new gun that looks like the Immortal’s gun. And, there is a new Lord that is awesome looking, but may be a conversion. Also, rules for a new Necron Detachment are floating around.
  • Awesome art from the new book that looks amazing.
  • Rumors indicate that Necrons are inbound but not likely before X-Mas.
  • Not many new models, but supposedly a new Lord, possibly a Cryptek and the Dex is said to be really big, almost Marine sized, with lots of LoW, and Formations.
  • Rumors indicate no Supplement for them, but possibly alternate detachments in their book itself.
  • Campaign book to follow for them.
  • Rumors about a ton of new BA formations on the way.

Rant Session

•  In list discussion.

Tactics Corner

•  DzC UCM vs. PHR

Rules Lawyer

•  Does a LoW or Fortification count as a Detachment?

Completed Commissions

Chaos Characters, painted to a level 3 standard!

IMG_0203 IMG_0205 IMG_0192 IMG_0190

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
droozy
droozy
7 years ago

Steve cheated me in the exact same way. In all fairness, it wouldn’t have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

Garrett
Garrett
7 years ago

I think one of the confusion things about if LoW or Fortifications take up a detachment is how you word the list restrictions on the LVO/BAO tournament Page:

2 Detachments Total. You may take any 2 detachments you wish, but may not repeat any detachments.

0-1 CAD
0-1 Codex Specific Detachment
0-1 Allied Detachment
0-1 Formation
0-1 Fortification
0-1 Lord of War

Because you list Fortification and Lord of War as a 0-1 option with the other detachments, it looks like you guys are considering fortifications and LoW’s as their own detachments

Hotsauceman1
Hotsauceman1
7 years ago

Reece, they dont allow old people in the club

Hotsauceman1
Hotsauceman1

God dam 30mm bases…..
Damnit Damnit Damnit. I dont want to rebase all my models

Novastar
Novastar

Super heavies can’t jink, pg 638 digital rulebook

TinBane
TinBane
7 years ago

It’s Andy Chambers, rather than Rick Priestley working on Dropfleet Commander. And that’s a work in progress name.

TinBane
TinBane
Reply to  TinBane

Awesome podcast as always though!

7 years ago

It is possible to take an all FW knight detachment you just can’t double up on any one type of knight. That’s the rules per the forgeworld knight PDFs. Is it changed for LVO? Or did you just miss read the rule Reece?

Reply to  Reecius

I just ordered my Acheron to accompany my Lancer at the LVO. When I heard you talking about the knight detachment my heart dropped.

Reply to  Reecius

Can you let me know the answer you get from them? cause it’s a pretty big deal for me if I gotta change that out. Also really disappointing.

TinBane
TinBane
Reply to  Reecius

RAW, it certainly names each knight by name, rather than saying you can’t have more FW knights than other types of knight.

Adam (Thediceabide.com)
Reply to  Reecius

Yeah, as it’s worded it’s definitely on a per-type basis, not by chassis.

Reply to  Reecius

Literally by RAW you can’t have more cerustus lancer,Acheron or castigator than any other knight.it does not just say cerestus or cerestus knight. By RAW there is nothing stopping you from running a lancer and Acheron without paladin or errant.

Reply to  Reecius

This is a directly copied and pasted off the FW pdf.

Using the Cerastus Knight-Acheron in your army in games of Warhammer 40,000

So you interpreted “you may not have more Cerastus Knight-Acherons in your army than you have Knights of other kinds.” As “you may not have more Cerastus Knight-Acherons in your army than you have Knights of other chassis”?

Reply to  Reecius

“Kind” i read as model/unit. I never read it as chasis because I haven’t read anything that indicates that should pay attention to the chasis. The chasis is simply part of the name.
The magera knight has the same rule about being a rare knight, so by following the chasis logic I wouldn’t be able to take an errant or a palidin in the same detachment because they are all on the same chasis.

TinBane
TinBane

Let’s step through it.
Assuming I have 1 Cerastus Knight-Lancer. When is that invalid, according to this rule?

It’s invalid, only if there are no knights of any other type present.

So, assuming I have 1 knight, of any type (including one with this rule, itself), isn’t that a valid list? Because there are not more Cerastus Knight-Lancers than there are say Cerastus Knight-Acherons. Likewise there are not more Cerastus Knight-Acherons than there are Cerastus Knight-Lancers.

Functionally, this seems designed to prevent you just spamming Cerastus Knight-Acheron with two or three of them in a list. At least that’s my ruling.

Otherwise, they would have made it a “relic knight” rule or something, and said that you can’t have more knights with the relic knight rule than knights without.

As it is, they specifically name the models. Chassis as far as I can see, doesn’t come into it.

Reply to  Reecius

So this is the conversation I had with FW over email.

Me
“By type do you mean chasis? So I’d first have to take a
Paladin or an errant before taking any of the cerestus knights ? I was reading as though I could take an Acheron and a Lancer both being a different unit. I just couldn’t take 2 lancer because of the rule about them being rare.

My army I was building was going to be
A space marine detachment
A allied knight detachment that was
1x knight Lancer
1x knight Acheron

Can I legally do that?
Sent from my iPhone”

FW,
“Hi Peter.

As an example, if you had a Lancer but you wanted another one you would first have to take another type of Knight such as a Castigator or Styrix.”

Reply to  Reecius

So have you figured out what you’re doing for the LVO?

Reply to  Reecius

So my list would be illegal?

Reply to  Reecius

By saying chasis or variant you’ve thrown me off what do you mean by variant? Does variant mean unit or just a double down on saying chasis? I’m sorry if this is a dumb question but I need a direct answer on if my list will be legal or not. I will get four days over Christmas to build/paint my army. Past that I don’t have much guarantied time to finish my list up.

Umbo
Umbo
7 years ago

Rules lawyer for you Reece, RE the sporefield formation Nids.. the ‘new’ spore mines.. Can they deep strike or do they have to walk on? RAW I think they have to walk on but makes no real sense. Wondering how you are playing it for the LVO (same for gargoyles in skyblight). Makes sporefield very useless if they have to walk on…

Cheers

Umbo

Eldarain
Eldarain
7 years ago

Sanctuary 101 boxed set and campaign please.

Novastar
Novastar
Reply to  Eldarain

Give me your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle

Pascal Roggen
7 years ago

yeah, the wording for knights mans you should be able to to take two lancers and 2 castigators… or any other combination of two.

but the only way to pull that off would be, to take a lord of war cerastus variant and then three in another detachment

Adam (Thediceabide.com)
Reply to  Pascal Roggen

Not that anyone here is planning on that…

CNitram
CNitram
Reply to  Reecius

Let’s look at this as a basic logic scenario, using the “If, Then” format.

Variables:
“Codex: Imperial Knights” = Choice A
“Other Armies of the Imperium” = Choice B

Limitations:
A is exclusive to B, meaning you can’t have both A & B within the same detachment.

**From the FW Rules PDF for Cerastus Knight-Acheron**

—————————————————-
Choice A

“Codex: Imperial Knights: Cerastus Knight-Acherons may be chosen as part of a Codex: Imperial Knights army as you would other types of Knight. However, owing to their rarity in the 41st Millennium, you may not have more Cerastus Knight-Acherons in your army than you have Knights of other kinds.”

—————————————————-
Choice B

“Other Armies of the Imperium Factions: A Cerastus Knight-Acheron may be taken as a Lords of War choice for any faction that is a part of the Armies of the Imperium (see the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook).”

—————————————————-

If you want to take a Knight Army (Detachment, Primary or ‘Allied”), then see choice A and its criteria.

In this case, you can never take more that 1 FW Cerastus in a 1-3 Knight Detachment.

1 FW & 1 GW legal
1 FW & 2 GW legal
2 FW & 1 GW illegal

—————————————————-

If you want to take a FW Cerastus in your Imperial Faction Army, then see choice B and its criteria.

In this case, the FW Cerastus no longer exists as an entry within Codex: IK; It becomes a LOW entry for w/e Imperial Faction Codex comprises the army.

Since a standard CAD has options for ‘0-1’ Lords of War, the player must decide whether to include one to start with, followed by which LOW entry from his/her available options, to ultimately include.

Because a FW Cerastus is now a LOW entry for Imperials within the choice B setup, it is thus legal to include in your Imperial Faction Army List.

I hope this helps to clarify and not further confuse.

– Chris

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x