signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at or visit our webstore at

•  BAO Recap
    • Thanks to our Sponsors and volunteers!
  • Best of Show: David Powell

photo-133-1 photo-133-2 photo-133-3

• GW Annual Report
    • Revenue: -9%

Operating Profit (pre exceptional items & royalties) -24%

Operating Profit -43%

Earnings per share: -51%

• New Heavy Gear min: the Scimitar

heavy gear

• New Dropzone Commander sneak peeks

DzC1 dzc2 dzc3 dzc4

Wave 1 – In store date of 30th August:
Resistance Starter Set
Reconquest: Phase 1 (Expansion Book)
Command Cards

Wave 4 – In store date of 18th October:
Hannibal MBT
Leviathan Heavy Hovercraft
Fire Wagon
Barrel Bomber
Jackson APC

• Dark Age releases some awesome new models!

dark age 2 dark age 3 dark age

• More Toughest Girls in the Galaxy!

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

List Review

23 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K And General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!”

1. Archon4Lyfe July 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Those resistance models are amazing!

I wish there was a following in DZC in my area.

“Make your own group.”

I’d love to. Kinda tough while working two jobs.

Reecius July 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah, they are super cool looking. I am excited to see them in person.

The game is picking up so if you hang in there, you may see some popping up in your area!

• Archon4Lyfe July 30, 2014 2:42 pm

An FLGS near me is moving into a larger facility to accommodate a large playing area, so I may try to cajole them into hosting a night

Reecius July 30, 2014 2:55 pm

That’s the spirit!

2. Hotsauceman1 July 29, 2014 6:18 pm

You guys should review the rules of the new knight net podcast

Reecius July 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Which one?

• Hotsauceman1 July 29, 2014 7:20 pm

The Lancer. The new forgeworld one

• Joshhodg July 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Congratulations on getting offered services. Haha

• Hotsauceman1 July 29, 2014 9:03 pm

I swear to god, the place in sanjose we went to was good part of san jose right next to the bad part.

3. TinBane July 30, 2014 12:05 am

Someone complained about the prize pool?
    Shit, if it was the drawer, wouldn’t it be a mix of all the bad plastic and ‘fine’cast heroes nobody wants? A couple of catachan heroes, an aspiring champion of chaos, and two box of vespids?

4. TinBane July 30, 2014 6:04 am

I wanted to post some thoughts on the GW financials.

What’s good:

They posted 9M pounds less operating profit this year than last, but that included 4.5 of redundancy payout, and 4M of website development. Now I’m not actually super optimistic that they’ll pay off their website quickly, I mean if you think about it, they just sunk 4M of their PROFIT effectively into that site, which at their current rate means the site needs to attract around 38 M pounds of sales, without cannibalising sales from other sources (ie FLGS).

Shedding jobs, mainly in middle management on the other hand, will improve their operating efficiency. Which may mean in 2015 they start earning better profit on their overall revenue.

The downside is that which ever way you cut it, they shed 10% of their total income. And this is in a year where they released a heap of awesome, new stuff. Such as the Knight, all the 30K stuff, and a number of codexes that traditionally stimulate sales well. I hope you are right about 7th ed.

I can see why the CEO’s outgoing commentary was kind of positive. It’s signs that the business side of it, isn’t stagnating. GW was doing pretty poorly on returns from it’s income. However, at the same time it seems that he’s reiterating their stance on being “first and foremost” a miniatures company. He’s basically patting them on the back for ignoring customer sentiment and market research, despite the fact that they are facing contraction of their gross revenue, which can only really mean a reduction in purchase pattern and/or product reach.

Hopefully the new CEO, will bring in fresh air, without doing away with what makes GW a great company.

Reecius July 30, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks for the analysis! Actually, could I entice you to turn that into an article? That is something folks would really want to see.

• Archon4Lyfe July 30, 2014 2:39 pm

I’m tired of only seeing scrub financial analysis from fatbeards.

• TinBane July 30, 2014 3:22 pm

I’d be happy to. You guys put a lot into the community, it’s only fair if everyone else chips in every know and then!

Reecius July 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Thank you, sir!

5. TrueKnight July 30, 2014 10:12 am

Someone has faith in the company, their stock is up almost 6% (~30 pounds) today.

6. Jural July 30, 2014 1:36 pm

I think that new leadership could be a really good thing. Although it doesn’t show in the numbers, I would say the last 12 months of 40k may have been the best 12 months GW ever did from a hobbyist’s perspective, collector, gamer, painter, etc. A lot of models, an edition that was a clear upgrade (if you ignore Daemon spam… I would say it was a clear upgrade in every way,) and multiple ways to spend money that don’t feel like you are getting the shaft (as bad…)- I’m thinking of dataslates here, the campaigns which the army releases are going to bookend, etc…

It’s time GW really understood how to intergrate FW, how to utilize their web presence and brand, and how to reach out to the community for feedback withour giving up creative control. A lot of this runs counter to past practices, and a new eye from the top might just be what is needed to take advantage.

• TinBane July 30, 2014 4:40 pm

The change in leadership will be a great opportunity. There’s both a “end user” and business case for the new leader to take a change of tack, which means we might start to see less (but obviously not a total lack of) nerd rage about GW.

I agree with you, they are likely to focus on growing the hobby, having bedded down a series of really hard structural changes.

7. iNcontroL August 4, 2014 11:48 am

Reecius August 4, 2014 12:02 pm

Well, I did drink the night before but that is not why I missed the bar-b-que. Frankie was being nice and covered for me, I had some personal stuff going on that came into play.

8. iNcontroL August 4, 2014 1:01 pm

oh crap O_O my bad dog. Sorry to hear that, hope all is well and I am sorry for bringing it up >_<

Reecius August 4, 2014 3:37 pm