BAO is a Wrap!

bay area open logo

Annnnnnnd, that’s a wrap, folks!

Whew, we are exhausted, but what a great tournament!

116 of the 128 signed up, showed up, which is consistent with our previous experience.

It was a great event, ran smoothly, was fun, the new venue was awesome. We started 10 minutes late due to a data entry error, but otherwise, it ran like silk. By dice down on round 6 we had awards done and everyone out the door within an hour. Not bad!

I want to give a huge thanks to the staff and volunteers that made it possible, our sponsors and everyone that came!

So much work to make one of those silly things run smoothly, but it went great.

Congratz to Steve who went undefeated, and to Alex G. who went into the finals with his Crons but fell a bit short.

Steve played against Lords of War and Forge World and had no issues with. Lords of War in general were no big deal. They were a lot of fun. I think the best moment was a Stompa getting blown up on the top of turn 1 against a Salamanders Drop Pod army!

Congratz to Israel who, yet again, won best appearance although this time it was by a single vote!

Congratz to Carlos Kaiser who won Renaissance Man and got second best general!

ITC scroe update will be coming later today!

So many good moments and memories, it was awesome and we’re happy to have the 4th annual BAO under our belts. We will post pics and give a detailed wrap up later, we are still handling logistics of getting terrain back into storage, returning rental vans, etc.

Thanks to everyone that came and had fun!

37 Responses to “BAO is a Wrap!”

1. fluger July 28, 2014 8:26 am

So what did Steve play?

• fluger July 28, 2014 8:27 am

Also: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/first.png

Reecius July 28, 2014 8:35 am

Yup, White Scars with a Knight.

• Novastar July 28, 2014 8:45 am

Super awesome weekend and I loved how the combining of the two mission types really mixed up the flow of the games

• fluger July 28, 2014 8:46 am

Sounds tough!

• mathhammer July 28, 2014 10:54 am

a 3++ khan i think:

• fleetofclaw July 28, 2014 11:44 am

Ew

• Joshhodg July 28, 2014 12:20 pm

That was quite dissapointing to read.

• Joshhodg July 28, 2014 12:21 pm

It also makes me very sad that the winner of the tournament probably should have been ejected.

• Adam
          Adam July 28, 2014 2:15 pm

As someone who is rarely facing a top competitor in a tournament, I am not of the mindset to really question most things, I just play for the fun of it and happened to be doing pretty well until then.

I don’t think he should have been ejected, I still believe the possibility of it just being a damning mistake. I wrote the article mostly because I didn’t know what else to do really. I would never judge that someone should or shouldn’t be ejected, and I’m glad it’s not my job to. I’m really just disappointed that the situation happened at all.

• Gordon July 28, 2014 8:35 pm

There’s more to the story. Steve isn’t the most fun guy to play against in close tournament games, but he’s not a cheater (and I’m pretty sure Reece himself ruled that grabbing the Relic from under the Brass Scorpion was legal). From what I heard Adam gave an equally negative experience to Steve right back, accusing Steve of cheating when he rolled to see if the game ended then backing down when he didn’t want the TOs to get involved again. It’s all he-said-she-said. I’ve got to agree with some of the guys on Dakka:

“As someone who was at the tournament and spoke to the player in question after the game, I’m pretty sure both of them came away unhappy with how the game went. The story I heard was definitely different than the one his opponent posted on the blog, so I’m going to give them both the benefit of the doubt and assume that it was a close game, tensions were high, and miscommunication probably led each one to assume that the other was playing in an unsportsmanlike manner. ”

Also, it’s one thing to accuse an opponent of cheating. It’s another to be a passive aggressive about it, even if they (allegedly) deserve it. Don’t call someone out and then try and pretend you’re not calling someone out.

• Adam
            Adam (Thediceabide.com) July 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Hey Gordon! Regarding that whole last turn thing (which happened before the khan power slide under the scorpion, which Reece didn’t witness as far as I recall, nor did I really dispute either), I’m sure that anyone near by heard me and my genuine uncertainty of how to handle the situation. I asked him what he’d do in my situation, where after writing down my opponents score for him (yes, I was doing his paperwork), I look back up and he points to a dice on the table, telling me he had rolled it and the game was over. I felt really bad, but genuinely had no idea what to do, I didn’t even hear him say anything about declaring the roll or I’d have stopped with the score sheets. After asking what he would do he agreed to reroll it fearing a thumbs down in sportsmanship.

I’m not pretending anything, I am not calling him out as a cheater because I don’t make statements that I can’t back up as being totally true. I wrote the article describing it as an awkward situation, which is exactly what it is.

• Painjunky July 28, 2014 1:25 pm

I hate it when people “accidently” cheat.

2. BBF July 28, 2014 8:39 am

Does anybody know Steve’s exact list ? I’d love to see it. Sounds like an awesome event for sure !!!

3. Gary P July 28, 2014 8:41 am

Make with the lists oh gravely voiced one!!!

and the top ten by race 🙂

4. mercutioh July 28, 2014 8:55 am

Great tourney Reece! maybe next time I’ll try out that wonning thong all the kids qere talking about

• mercutioh July 28, 2014 2:01 pm

not only do I fail at 40k but also posting from my phone. next time i’ll try that winning thing all the kids were talking about

• Smellofwetdog July 28, 2014 2:16 pm

I just figured there was a thong all the winners were wearing… you know the winning thong… may be uncomfortable but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

Reecius July 28, 2014 2:59 pm

The wonning thong sounds pretty interesting, actually! =P

• mercutioh July 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Maybe THAT’S why I kept losing I forgot my Wonning Thong all together!

5. iNcontroL July 28, 2014 9:21 am

Had a blast! Tables all had decent terrain, lots of good players and the tourney ran really smoothly. I lost to the guys that took 1st and 3rd >_< If you want to win you have to beat the best I guess! Thanks a lot to Reece and Frankie + crew for making such a great event.

Reecius July 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Glad you had fun, and congratz on best Nids!

6. Bellerah July 28, 2014 9:25 am

Great time,

Sad that my generalship held back my mighty wraiths. Though it was awesome to get my first crack at a stompa and brass scorpion.

Reecius July 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

7. Gary P July 28, 2014 9:32 am

Is. Is that raw dogger second from last??

• Jason
      Rawdogger July 28, 2014 10:13 am

LOL yes. I lost all of my games on day one and said ‘fuck the lemons’ and bailed. I think after that epic day of bad luck I might be out of the competitive scene for good. Its no fun losing to bad dice rolling every time I play.

• Joshhodg July 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Yea and your dice rolling is REALLY bad. No offense.

• Greggles July 28, 2014 1:22 pm

You should start a kickstarter for non cursed dice. 🙂

• Adam
        Adam July 28, 2014 2:19 pm

I’ll give you a cube of mine. They roll 6’s all the damn time, except on Stomps.

8. z3n1st July 28, 2014 1:52 pm

Great event, seriously awesome.

Reecius July 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Glad you came, dude! You represented the team and as always, great to see you.

9. michael July 28, 2014 3:00 pm

The sweetness, it was a good event.
    I’m shooting for best painted army at the LVO. Work begins once I decide what army to bring…I need the blood angels codex to be out now!!! Now dammit, now!

10. Julio Rodriguez July 28, 2014 3:08 pm

It was great event. I had a blast and 6 awesome games. Thanks for all the effort that was put into it.

11. mercutioh July 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Pics of most of the Armies there thanks to the In The Name Of Sanguinius Blog.