Da Orks is Comin!

da sons of anorky

They are nearly here!

I love Orks. They are fun to play, they are fun to play against and they’re just the right mix of funny and scary. They add a lot of levity and laughter to the girm dark and they have some really beautiful models in addition to being the converters dream army.

Unfortunately, they have always been preceived to be a weak army outside of their golden era in 3rd ed of being the “broken” army of the time, until Blood Angels took that spot from them.

I have always felt they were good in the hands of the right player though, and in 5th Orks were my nemesis army. I always got bumped out of tournaments by the damned Greenskins! Towards the end of 5th I finally picked up an Ork army of my own, a Trukk heavy Speed Freaks army and I loved it. Such a fun army to play! I did fairly well with it, too, but Tau was rough.

I sincerely hope GW does Orks right. Give them powerful units, fun special rules and the option for wacky Ork stuff that can blow you or the enemy up, but please, for the Love of the Emperor, don’t make those units/rules a fundamental part of the army.

I am hoping for Warbosses to still kick butt, Boyz to be a great troops choice and lots of different build options to keep them fresh.

What are you all hoping to see in the new Ork book?

As soon as we get our hands on it, be sure we will be doing some reviews and bat reps!

26 Responses to “Da Orks is Comin!”

1. greggles June 27, 2014 9:19 am #

I’m with you Reecius. I love orks. They were my first army, and have always been the most fun to play, win or lose.

I’ve heard a lot of pooh pooh on the new codex, and hoping it’s just the general internet overreaction, which will be sorted once we all figure out what to do with a three edition newer codex!

Reecius June 27, 2014 10:24 am #

I am excited for it and will reserve judgment until I have played it.

2. T2-Keks June 27, 2014 9:44 am #

I have heard many things i like but also two i really dislike: The KFF not working out of vehicles any more is a sad joke compared to the DA’s force field generator and characters loosing the option to have invul saves also sucks. Hard to have a tough close combat guy without an invul.

• greggles June 27, 2014 9:58 am #

But you can take a KFF on a Bike (with a shokk gun even!). And upgrade that to a 4++ KFF from the supplement.

From the vehicles sucks…but they had to give you some reason to take the new walker (it’s KFF is measured from the base).

• Jony June 27, 2014 10:20 am #

What is worse is that the KFF only gives the 5+ invu to Models within 6″ and not units..

But i like the book and just bought all the new goodies to play with =)

• novaStar June 27, 2014 11:40 am #

DA went a whole edition where that didn’t work, plus the DA gives the benefit to enemy models as well

• Bigpig June 27, 2014 4:23 pm #

Nids have no CC invul saves either. Swarm lord doesn’t count as he is nerfed to hell and is overpriced now. At least orks can get a 2+ save on their cc characters 😉

3. Charles Tracy June 27, 2014 12:03 pm #

Ya the KFF IS to any model within 6 inches. Two morkanaughts have a large footprint though so that’s cool.

Actually the codex is pretty good. I can see builds already that might work.

The traktor cannon is sweet vs fmc. -3 to the grounding check when wounded by the gun. Yikes. Need a six up to keep flying.

Orc allies anyone?

4. cycluv June 27, 2014 2:19 pm #

Reecius says, “I am excited for it and will reserve judgment until I have played it.” I guess you learned that lesson from your overblown reaction to the Nid dex.

Reecius June 27, 2014 4:15 pm #

Hahaha, no, the Nid dex is really, really bad. My reaction to that was totally justified and still is. As I said with the Nid codex, good lists will (and did) surface, but the book is not a good codex at all. We’ve just learned to look past the crap and focus on the good, and make it work.

• DexKivuli June 27, 2014 4:59 pm #

I love ‘nids, and will continue to use them, but they are bad. I think one of the easiest ways to communicate that is to look at the number of things that ‘nids have that are STRICTLY worse than things in other codexes. (e.g. Compare the FNP warlord trait ‘nids get to the BRB/Ork one, or the Nightvision one).

• Bigpig June 27, 2014 4:25 pm #

Nope. Nid dex is still very weak and poorly written. His reaction remains accurate. The supplements that came after gave two viable formations and that helped some, as did some 7th edition changes, but the book is still a half effort

5. z3n1st June 27, 2014 3:59 pm #

‘Mob Rule’ is pretty whack, steep hit from being fearless if over 10 guys

Reecius June 27, 2014 4:13 pm #

Yeah, it is rough. With a bosspole though, you have a better chance to avoid the negative consequences.

6. Cycluv June 27, 2014 4:34 pm #

Reecius, don’t mind me…I’m just trolling…

Reecius June 27, 2014 5:04 pm #

Ah, no worries, lol, I probably got a bit overly defensive, haha.

7. Oldschoolnate June 27, 2014 4:40 pm #

Grots w/ hammer of wrath wtf.
    Kammandos w/ snikrot seem like they might need a look
    Buggie or deffkopta rush could be a thing.
    Time will tell, some missing things make me sad. Ramshackle, cybork body, mob rule, old Zogwort is just a blurb on the bottom of the page.

Reecius June 27, 2014 5:06 pm #

Yeah, the Hammer of Wrath thing is OK, but having to have over 10 models and roll over 10 on the charge means it won’t happen that frequently, and only models that make the assault and then only having a strength 3 hit in most cases means it is pretty weak.

Biggie/Biker and Deffkopta rush may be solid.

8. DexKivuli June 27, 2014 4:47 pm #

I’m a numbers person, and I’m really interested to see how the randomness pans out. I’m looking forward to reading the specifics of the Smash Gun and anything else that has the random element, and running some numbers.

Randomness is crazy and whacky… both fun and annoying. But it’s important to remember that most stuff in 40k is inherently random already, to hit, to wound/pen etc. Prior to calling a target, a weapon has a probability of killing that target.

If a guardsman manning a lascannon and a gretchin on a smasha gun both have the same odds of killing AV13-14 before pulling the trigger, but the smasha has better odds against AV10-12, then I like a Smasha!

9. Oldschoolnate June 27, 2014 5:25 pm #

Run a kff on a bike is nifty with bike/buggie/deffkopta rush

Reecius June 27, 2014 6:27 pm #

Yeah, I was thinking Biker KFF, too. Plus, that could be an awesome conversion!

10. Gregorius42 June 27, 2014 6:34 pm #

Finished looking over my Ork Codex and the Ghazzie Codex. Ghazzie has a lot of fun formations. I like snikrot with up to 4 commando units coming in at the same time with shrouded and any board edge. Fun stuff.

11. Shaydozer June 27, 2014 7:55 pm #

What do you think of the Gorkanaut/Morkanaut now that you have the codex in hand? I am sitting here trying to decide which one I want to build.

Reecius June 27, 2014 11:19 pm #

They look OK. Slow, can be killed in one shot, mediocre shooting but good assault power if they can make it there. I am not ultra impressed at the high price point, personally.

12. Bod June 28, 2014 12:09 am #

Some of this is really hard to choke down. After reading Cybork Body, I got really depressed and had to take a break for a couple hours. I still can’t even think about the new Mob Rule without wanting to punch something. I really hope there is a silver lining to this codex, but so far I haven’t seen very many positives.