BAO Warhammer 40K Competitive Event Missions

bay area open logo

Please give these a read and play test them if you like! These will be the missions for the BAO 2014 40K competitive event!

If you catch any misspellings, typos, or have any feedback on the objectives, etc. please feel free to let us know!

Also, GET YOUR TICKETS! This event is already dang near 2/3 sold out and tickets have only been for sale for a little over a week! Don’t miss out.

Mission 1

Mission 2

Mission 3

Mission 4

Mission 5

Mission 6

42 Responses to “BAO Warhammer 40K Competitive Event Missions”

1. Novastar June 18, 2014 7:08 pm #

What about mission #7 I’m going to be needing that one 😉

Reecius June 18, 2014 7:17 pm #

You’ll find out when you get there =P

2. DCannon4Life June 18, 2014 7:58 pm #

I like them overall, simple implementation that encourages (some) movement and (some )risk-taking.

I’m not so impressed with the ‘partial’ modifiers on the deployment zone/no man’s land objectives. If you put your toe in a lake, are you swimming? No. If you want the point, you should have to have your entire unit across the line (same way Linebreaker works, right?). You don’t get a point for ‘destroying one model from an enemy unit’, you get the point for destroying an enemy unit….

Reecius June 18, 2014 8:46 pm #

I see your point, but saying fully within discourages large unit like Ork Boyz, Gants etc. Which can’t move far enough to cover their own footprint in some cases, and with casualties removed from the front, it can be very punishing. Saying partially within treats all units equally.

And linebreaker only says you have to have one MODEL from one unit completely within the deployment zone. So it only really matters for single model units.

• DCannon4Life June 18, 2014 9:14 pm #

Sure–but since you wrote it so that the objective requires a ‘scoring unit’ (not necessarily an ‘Objective Secured’ unit), it seems reasonable to expect that a horde army would be able to fulfill that objective even under stricter conditions (because it has more than just blob units). Speaking only for myself, I’d rather it be more difficult to fulfill this type of objective.

Reecius June 18, 2014 10:01 pm #

Fair play. But when your opponent is actively trying to stop you from achieving your ends, it really won’t be easy to do. However! Try them out and see. In our test games so far it’s worked well.

• DCannon4Life June 19, 2014 9:45 am

I’m organizing a Quad (4-man Round Robin) in just over a week. We’ll use the missions and see how it goes.

Reecius June 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Nice! Let us know if you have any constructive criticism.

3. Novastar June 18, 2014 8:10 pm #

Was mission 5 supposed to be primary: Big Guns ? Because right now 4&5 are scouring

Reecius June 18, 2014 8:40 pm #

Good catch.

• Novastar June 18, 2014 9:28 pm #

I do my best

4. Loopy June 18, 2014 9:29 pm #

This is looking really fun. It encourages movement and forces people to make choices. While I like progressive objective scoring as a concept, I think this system will be more fun.

5. DexKivuli June 18, 2014 9:31 pm #

Sorry for being a free-riding foreigner, but do you guys plan on putting up another BAO 40k FAQ? Your last one was awesome! 🙂

6. dr.insanotron June 18, 2014 10:01 pm #

So if you roll (kill a enemy unit) twice does that mean you need to kill two units of would just one give you both?

• Eldarain June 19, 2014 7:31 am #

If I understand it correctly, they are both scored independently of each other.

Kill 1: 1 Point
      Kill 2: 2 Points

7. John June 18, 2014 10:26 pm #

First I want to say excellent job with the missions! They look very refreshing and dynamic. A couple errors I noticed:

Mission 1: Maelstrom objective 6 is missing the phrase “at least partially”, not sure if this was intentional or not.

Mission 3: How does “Objective Secured” interact with the Relic?

Mission 5: Primary Mission is listed as The Scouring. I assume it was supposed to be Big Guns Never Tire. For the Maelstrom objectives, are “Your Objectives” the ones that you placed, or the ones in your deployment zone?

All Missions: Who rolls for Psychic Powers first? It could make a difference, tactically. Is Night Fighting a Mandatory roll? With the new rules, if neither player wants it, you don’t roll. First Blood is listed twice under “Bonus Points”. I assume one of them is supposed to be Slay the Warlord.

My Personal Thoughts: I am not sure how I feel about scoring the Maelstrom missions at the end of each GAME TURN. It feels like there is really no reason to ever go first, even in the Purge the Alien Primary. Five out of six missions are already scoring the larger point value at the end of the last GAME TURN. I would like to see the Maelstrom objectives score at the end of each PLAYER TURN for a bit of balance. I could be wrong here, this is just my first thought on the matter. I plan to do a fair amount of play testing, so my opinion might change.

Reecius June 19, 2014 1:16 pm #

Thanks for catching some of those typos!

For the Relic, you pick it up per normal, ObSec does nothing special.

Mission 5 is fixed, thanks.

Bonus points fixed, thanks.

8. Leth June 18, 2014 11:47 pm #

Mission one has first blood twice(assuming one is supposed to be warlord) – It looks like this is a copy and paste error on all of them

Maybe instead of partially say “at least one model from X units” just to clear up any potential confusion.

Other than that looks solid, wish I could be there to try them as well as play test them

Reecius June 19, 2014 8:03 am #

Good catch on the bonus points, thanks!

9. Umbo June 19, 2014 8:08 am #

If only GW did this with their rules…

10. WisdomLS June 19, 2014 8:32 am #

Overall I really like them, not too complicated but a nice variety and mix of gameplay.

As someone mention above I feel that the scoring of the Maelstrom objectives at the end of gameturns very heavily rewards going second as they can move onto unoccupied objectives for an easy score where as the player going first is forever going to have his points contested.
    Also the player going second has an extra turn of planning how to score their points where as the first player has to move shortly after seeing that turns goals.
    This maybe a balancing factor if you feel going first is too powerful but with the primary missions being standard ‘score at end of game’ they already favour going second.

I think it would be more balanced (and similar to the rulebook – if you care about that sort of thing) for each player to roll at the start of their player turn and complete the objectives during that turn. Probably simpler for rules purposes as well.

Reecius June 19, 2014 1:02 pm #

Thanks for the feedback!

A lot of folks said off the cuff that it looks like going second is the way to go, but in practice it hasn’t been the case. We do it this way as if you score on player turn, the player going first can score points before the player going second has a chance to do anything.

As the player going first sees what the player second is going to be doing, it gives them the chance to counter preemptively. Plus, going first still gives you the alhpa strike, too.

• Sledge MgGee July 6, 2014 12:57 pm #

I also do not agree with the maelstrom points being scored at the end of the game turn. Does it really matter if the first player gets to go before the second gets a chance to do anything? Perhaps only on objective 6, just change that objective. The point of maelstrom, and what makes them fun is that it is a back and forth that one can score within his/her own turn. The objectives are achieveble as long as you perform the action required. Sometimes you may have to sacrifice to perform said action. That is what makes them appealing. When they are scored at the end of the game turn, it just turns it into advantage for the second player. Scoring maelstrom objectives at the end of the player turn is what make them different and engaging, these missions just turn it into more of the same.

As for going first and having he alpha strike and advantage on first blood, the second player still has the advantage on the primary objectives and line breaker. Slay the warlord is still on equal ground.

Please consider. If you have tried this, what was your experience?

11. winterman June 19, 2014 8:32 am #

I am curious why fortifications are placed 6ed style. In 7ed you usually place fortifications when you deploy your army. The only fortifications that are placed before hand are non-player ones (eg terrain not ones taken in your army).

Otherwise its an interesting set of missions. I like them but they definitely feel more influenced by 6ed and the old BAO missions rather then the changes made in 7ed. Not necessarily a bad thing this early on, just wonder if this will remain throughout 7ed.

Reecius June 19, 2014 1:03 pm #

It is easier to deploy Forts while choosing your deployment zone as it lets you adjust terrain and such before people are deploying their armies. Plus, you want them down before yo place objectives.

• winterman June 19, 2014 1:56 pm #

Ah interesting. I can see the wisdom in that too. Although its also nice to be able to deploy with your army so you aren’t overly projecting your plan to your opponent early on. I guess though there’s only so many places you put these things in a standard BAO table.

12. Japatoes June 19, 2014 4:36 pm #

Any chance FA or HS will get objective secured in Scouring and Big guns?

• Japatoes June 19, 2014 4:38 pm #

BTW Mission 5 still says the scouring.

Reecius June 19, 2014 4:57 pm #

We considered it. But, I think we’ll stick with the book this first go around and then adjust from there.

13. dr.insanotron June 19, 2014 4:46 pm #

So do you reroll objectives that are impossiable to get

Reecius June 19, 2014 4:55 pm #

None of them are impossible to get in the sense of, destroy an enemy flyer if they have no flyer. If you roll one up that is not possible to get such as an objective that is too far away or something, no, you do not reroll it.

• dr.insanotron June 19, 2014 5:51 pm #

what about (kill a enemy unit) when you are going first against a drop army. that is impossiable to get no matter what army you are playing

Reecius June 19, 2014 5:54 pm #

Then you better hope you have and interceptor weapon that gets lucky as you score at the end of the Game Turn! =P

• RoockieBoy June 23, 2014 4:25 am

Happened to me… A quad gun exploded my drop pod in a tournament last year. Totally caught me off guard. What are the chances anyway? The shooter was BS4 btw

14. 5th Horseman June 25, 2014 7:26 am #

I’m running a tournament series over the next couple weeks and will be using these I will gather up as much feed back as I can and let you guys know how it went.

15. Hapes June 28, 2014 9:41 pm #

Why do all the missions say first blood twice?