signals from the Frontline

We discuss the BAO 2014 warhammer 40k championships. Check them out

Purchase your BAO 40K Championships Ticket Here!

23 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy.”

1. Hotsauceman1 June 10, 2014 11:27 am #

Quick question…..where is the actual podcast?

2. Pascal Roggen June 10, 2014 12:43 pm #

so marines could have imperialfist devastator centurions, tigurius as an hq, a clan raucan CM on a bike, raven guard VV’s white scar troops and bikes….. in your primary faction.

then you can ally something else as long as it’s not any of those chapters

Reecius June 10, 2014 12:46 pm #

The CAD all have to have the same Chapter Tactics.

3. Rich with GSI June 10, 2014 12:44 pm #

So is the BAO a Warhammer 40k/FB only event, or will there be other games represented?

Reecius June 10, 2014 1:33 pm #

We will also have Warmahordes and DzC.

• Rich with GSI June 10, 2014 11:20 pm #

Yee-ha!

4. AbusePuppy June 10, 2014 3:14 pm #

The “combine multiple codices into one CAD” thing seems like it could get really confusing really easily, since in many cases they have different required upgrades and options. Also, don’t Sentinels of Terra have a different Chapter Tactic than normal SM do, so wouldn’t your example in the podcast be illegal?

Glad you’re allowing the VSG, because seriously it’s not that strong and I have no idea why people freak out over it. AV12, oh noes! I loathe the huge, stupid model that GW made for it though, since it’s unbelievably awkward and is drastically different than what they had talked about for modeling it before the model was released.

I still don’t buy not being ally with yourself as a rules thing, but as a TO allowance I can live with it. It feels really weird to arbitrarily give it to SM, though.

Will you have the game mats available for sale again? I’d definitely like to pick up one of the space ones (room in the car willing) this time around for playing Firestorm on.

2:45 is plenty of time for most things, I would thing, but I’m curious how you handle that. Is it “dice down everything is over” at the call for time, finish the action, finish the turn, or what? I suspect it will be more of an issue at BAO than it has for some other events, what with the larger game size, added phase of the game, etc.

As per 7E there are actually three separate roll-offs before the game, not just one: roll to place objectives, roll to pick sides, and roll for first deployment/turn. It’s a little annoying, but it does prevent the “I won the roll now all of everything is mine bwahahahaha” syndrome.

Reecius June 10, 2014 3:28 pm #

Yeah, I have no doubts that the multiple sources in a single CAD could get a bit confusing, but, hey, that is what the rules say so we’re running with it. And no, Sentinels of Terra have the Imperial Fists CTs, but with a modification. They are Imperial Fists.

Yeah, the VSG is no biggie, really. The relay is annoying as hell, though.

I know it is contentious, but for us it is very clear that GW intended for the Detachments to consist of a single faction. The language is very clear. Giving it to Space Marines makes sense form a fluff perspective (they are different Chapters) but is confusing from a game play perspective.

We try to be laid back about the time but for the most part it is a “finish your action and get your results in ASAP” type deal.

We just set our own order of operations to make it simple. It should be fairly straightforward for players to just go down the list….we hope! haha

5. Hugz4Genestealers June 10, 2014 7:07 pm #

Clever of you to implement painting requirements *after* putting up tickets for sale. That may have finally goaded me into painting some of my things.

Reecius June 10, 2014 7:18 pm #

Lol, we are pretty laid back about painting. Its the same policy we have had for years in regards to our paint requirement.

6. Joshhodg June 10, 2014 11:01 pm #

Ok I do had a couple specific questions on supplements. Farsight Enclaves require a unit of 3 Crisis suits. If I take say a Riptide with the Earth Caste upgrade would I then have to include them. Another is that it says I cannot take Aunva or Shadowsun. Can I take them and just say it’s from the Codex or does taking things from the Enclave prevent that.
    In the case of Iyanden can I take a Wraithknight and say it’s from Iyanden and so make it my warlord with an Iyanden Warlord trait but then take Spiritseers from the regular codex so they don’t have to replace Conceal/Reveal with Voice of Twilight. Or do I have to take the Spiritseers as the Iyanden version. It’s confusing and I would love a ruling.

Reecius June 11, 2014 11:01 am #

It is confusing, yup. We agree! There will have to be an adjustment period as we work through it but, we will work it out.

Specifically, if you take any unit from the Farsight Enclave, you must abide by those detachment rules. So, 3 Crisis Suits, and no Shadowsun or Aunva.

If you go Iyanden + Eldar, you can take an Iyanden Wraithknight and count it as your Warlord, but then Spiritseers from the Eldar book, yes. Just notate on your list what is what.

• CNitram June 11, 2014 12:02 pm #

Just remember that if you use them as Codex Spiritseers, you wouldn’t be able to take them in a “1-5 Council” though since that is Iyanden specific and as a result would take up an HQ slot.

• AbusePuppy June 11, 2014 3:05 pm #

So let’s double down on confusing: say I decide to take a unit with an Artefact from the Crimson’s Laughter supplement and also one from the Black Legion supplement. As per your rules, I have to now abide by both of those books’ restrictions. So now I MUST take VotLW on all of my units, but CAN’T take it on them.

Not to argue a moot point, but that really seems like an indication that isn’t how things are supposed to work.

Reecius June 11, 2014 3:30 pm #

I agree it is confusing, but we will stipulate that you have to say from what source you are drawing a unit. So, if you take BL and CS, you say our troops or units are from CS to avoid the VotLW tax, so to speak.

7. Dragonzeye June 11, 2014 8:53 am #

Ticket bought and room booked!

8. BeeCee June 11, 2014 10:54 am #

Hey guys,

I am going to play the role of the dumb and naive here on the factions thing… The way you guys are seeing it really only benefits the factions that have supplements as those are the only times an army will have two source books to pull material in within the same faction. (I am leaving SM out of this because of the FAQ ruling).

It seems that is not intended to me as the FAQ’s for both Iyanden and Farsight go out of their way to put the words “Farsight or Iyanden Detachment”. There however is not a SoT, Black legion, or Crimson Slaughter FAQ.

How will you rule on things like Devergent Destiny in the Farsight book? or the Mandatory 3 Crisis troops choice for a Farsight army?

Reecius June 11, 2014 10:58 am #

As this is all different and new, there will be an adjustment period for sure. And is it fair to all armies? Nope. Sure isn’t but that is the not something we have control over, you know? We can only assume more supplements will come out. In the meantime, everyone is limited by the FoC, so no one gets more toys than anyone else, they just get more options to fill the same number of slots.

• BeeCee June 11, 2014 11:03 am #

it’s all good, not coming down on you at all. Just trying to understand because the things that major tourneys decide will affect other tourneys down the road etc…

What are your thoughts on the Farsight questions? will you be forced to take the 3 crisis suits troops? also if i take a Tau army does that mean I can then take crisis suits as troops and/or elites? what about mix and match farsight with shadowsun in the same CAD?

Reecius June 11, 2014 11:17 am #

Oh yeah, no worries, totally fair questions. I was thinking about the same thing, myself.

We are going to say you have to stick to Deatchment limitations like if you take a Farsight unit, you have to take 3 Crisis Suits and cannot take Aunva or Shadowsun, etc.

I think that is the easiest and more fair way to do it.