The Greatest DzC Player in the World?

hawk wargames

Hello everyone, Frankie here to talk to you guys about Dropzone Commander. I started playing DzC because I was tired of being the greatest 40k player in the world. That kind of title and lack of challenge tends to get a little boring, you know?

One day Reece cracked open a dropZone starter box and started saying he was going to show me how to play a game and kick my butt. Of course I had to take that challenge and let Reece try to regain his pride since he wasn’t having much luck at that with 40k. We played the game and it was actually a challenge, which came as a shock to the greatest 40K player of all time. The game was extremely balanced and brought a lot of new mechanics to war gaming that I had never seen. I ended up winning of course (it’s prolly just because of my raw, natural talent) but at least Reece had a glimmer of hope on turn one. That was nice to see, he was starting to get depressed losing all the time.

DropZone commander is a great game and is a lot of fun. I mean, who doesn’t like to blow up buildings and squishing your opponents at the same time? The game is very balanced as all the armies have a lot of similar units but the weird thing is that all the armies play so differently as a whole, as do all the units. It’s like the creator of the game actually play tested his rules and knew what he was doing when he was writing the rules.

If you guys are looking for a game to jump into or are sick and tired of being mistreated and abused by your favorite games, I recommend giving Dropzone Commander a try, and maybe one day one of you can beat me at it. Not likely, but a man can dream! Haha.

Thanks for reading everyone I will write another article about building a Shaltari list and the challenges that arise while making that type of list.

16 Responses to “The Greatest DzC Player in the World?”

1. bridges60 May 19, 2014 4:08 am #

Heavy is the head that wears the crown 😉

Reecius May 19, 2014 8:17 am #

Heavy is the head with Frankie’s ego! lol

• Bridges60 May 19, 2014 12:25 pm #

hahah classic

2. Zeos May 19, 2014 5:28 am #

Frankie what do you think about the Shaltari in Focal Point scenarios? I’ve had success in Intel and Objective based scenarios simply by covering my braves with gating walkers and warspears. In focal point missions however where my opponent can predict where I will need to gate / camp it is a lot more difficult to make use of standard rapid redeployment. Any advice?

• Crisp Mini May 19, 2014 6:13 am #

I know you didn’t ask me, but I picking the focal points you actually want to win with, and play as though you are going for the others. As the game begins to wind down start to shift your forces to the other focal points, hopefully your opponent has less there. Also, try to gate your commander on an opponent’s point that is poorly guarded. Your commander is point heavy and can probably win the point if your opponent has left a smaller point unit to camp it.

• Cameron May 19, 2014 11:02 am #

Shaltari can also easily contest focal points at the end of the game by dropping a single unit near them. That’s pretty annoying.

3. michael May 19, 2014 9:27 am #

Frankie has his head so far up his own ass he dines on red meat from three years hence.

4. Hotsauceman1 May 19, 2014 11:22 am #

*Bows before frankie* OH GREAT MASTER!!!!! SHOW ME YOUR WISDOM!!!!!!!!!

Reecius May 19, 2014 12:02 pm #

Don’t feed the ego! lol

5. Rich with GSI May 19, 2014 2:17 pm #

What night is the official DzC night? I played Alex a small army starter box game last weekend: his PHR vs my PHR and it was very refreshing having a balanced game. I failed to drop some mechs off first thing in the turn and Alex blew the Neptune and it’s cargo out of the sky. You really need to get that hardware on the ground fast! I have no one else to blame for my loss other than me.

It’s tricky getting used to the alternating activation. I kept trying to move/shoot things I already activated earlier in the turn. Amazing game though! I need to get more time on the table with DzC. Will there be a tournament soon?

Reecius May 19, 2014 2:35 pm #

Yeah, it takes a minute to get used to alternate unit activation but it is a MUCH better system, IMO. Pascal gets confused with it too, sometimes. You have to color code or number battlegroups so that it doesn’t get confusing.

I think we’re going to have Thursday night by DzC nights.

• TinBane May 19, 2014 3:35 pm #

One of the biggest threads on the Hawk forums, is about whether you run a turn 2 drop. It’s pretty risky, can be very rewarding with a flanking battlegroup.
      Bad idea if they have fliers!!

Reecius May 19, 2014 3:38 pm #

I often do a mix of turn 1 and 2 drops.

• TinBane May 19, 2014 4:48 pm #

How much space do you give yourself (between your dropships and their AA)?

Or do you gamble on winning initiative? 🙂

Reecius May 19, 2014 5:27 pm

I try to stay out of the danger zone or go to the deck or even just land to hide.

• Rich with GSI May 19, 2014 4:56 pm #

I won initiative and just plain blew it. I failed to consider the next battlegroup to activate would be Alex’s. Otherwise I would have been golden. Rookie mistake.