What are you excited about with the new IG…or, er, AM?

IG Pics 001

What are you guys pumped about? And don’t forget, our pre-order special is still going strong through Saturday!

We don’t have the book in hand yet, but we’ve been reading the leaks and rumors as you all have. I have been playing IG since 2nd ed! Always Catachans, too. I actually had another Catachan army, but it was green and black camo. For some reason I decided to sell them and then get another Catachan army, but this time red and black camo…

No matter how silly that seems, I really like IG. I have always been drawn to playing the “normal” human characters in any game system. I usually play humans in RPGs, video games, etc. Especially in the Grim Dark, they seem so cool to face the insane power of all the crazy, OTT stuff in 40K and still succeed.

For me, as a lover of tanks, the rumors that the Leman Russ is going WAY down in price for many variants is awesome! I have 8 of them, but often didn’t use them as the fun variants were so overpriced. Now though, the pints are much more reasonable if rumors are true.

I had a list I used to play in 5th that was surprisingly good, and I think we will see it become popular this edition based on what I have seen so far. It consisted of 3 units of 2 Leman Russes and a boatload of infantry. It gave the other guy a choice between cheapo infantry or AV14. Not a great choice as it made a lot of weapons wasted points. That same concept with allies makes for some really potent combos. Dark Angels jumps out at my right away with Power Field Generators, Azrael and Black Knights for counter attack. But, you can get Divination in the IG book now, apparently, which is REALLY good.

Blobs with characters in them will also be popular, particularly Conscripts if rumors that they went down to 3pts a pop are true. Wow. Those are some cheap meat shields.

The Bulgryns look cool, too. Expensive, but they look like a lot of fun. I will definitely be tempted to try them out.

The Wyvern posted in the White Dwarf looks really good too, I will certainly be picking one up.

What units are you all excited about? I am pumped to get that book in my hands and dig into it so very soon! Hopefully we get some more IG armies on the tables as a result to mix things up a bit.

44 Responses to “What are you excited about with the new IG…or, er, AM?”

1. Noah April 11, 2014 12:38 am #

I’m excited for……Da Orkz!!!!!

• Prindlehaven April 11, 2014 1:32 am #

This. IG/AM coming out means we are one step closer to the Waaagh. Soooo tired of waiting!

On the other hand, I am looking forward to a beefed up, less expensive (points-wise) IG. Not because I play them, but because more armies being more powerful could lead to more variety at tournaments. Variety is good! Insane amounts of powerful, customizable options is one thing that makes 40k attractive as a game.

• CptHygelac April 11, 2014 6:18 am #

I was thinking the exact same thing. We are that much closer now.

Reecius April 11, 2014 7:28 am #

I can’t wait to bust out my speed freaks again, either!

2. anonymou5 April 11, 2014 1:20 am #

Can a clan Racoon Tech Marine repair allied vehicles? That could be pretty fun…

• bridges60 April 11, 2014 4:35 am #

i think they had a faq that said you cannot repair allied vehicles….but there is no faq anymore at the moment sooo……lol

• winterman April 11, 2014 8:56 am #

Yeah the FAQ stipulates any repair type rule doesn’t work on allied detatchments. Its why a lot of the IK combos people were worried about were bogus.

• Novastar April 11, 2014 10:04 am #

I can’t seem to find any FAQ on GW website so game on!!

3. RyanL April 11, 2014 2:09 am #

I want to see what Conscript and Penal Legion (though I’ve heard these might be gone) models they release… so I can use them as Chaos Cultists.

I already like the new Scions box, perfect to build an Inquisitor and henchmen from for my Inquisition “warband” – I assume the Scions will be a unit choice in the new codex.

4. cavalier April 11, 2014 3:42 am #

Ratlings! Battle focusing Ratlings! Just kidding my brother plays IG and the Ratlings are a super pain for my Wraithknight and it looks like they are going to be even more annoying. But seriously I’m just pumped for the IG to just be streamlined points-wise so IG players can get more units on the board. I want all the armies to be as close in power to the Eldar/Tau as possible.

Reecius April 11, 2014 7:32 am #

I know, right? I have 20 Ratlings, lol, I might actually use them, now.

5. Aidobmac April 11, 2014 3:58 am #

Imperial guard have always been an army that has just been known to bring a huge amount of firepower to the battlefield, I’m pretty excited to see any variants of the old leaf blower being applied to the new book to make an even more effective list.

6. Novastar April 11, 2014 5:35 am #

The tank commander HQ, now we really can drive closer to whack em with the sword lol

• elphilo April 11, 2014 7:22 am #

Yeah. I hope they’re good, because I’m really excited to see them!

Reecius April 11, 2014 7:30 am #

Rending punisher Cannon! Boo-yah!

• Novastar April 11, 2014 8:04 am #

Pop prescience on it and shoot flying MCs!!

• Adam
      Adam April 11, 2014 8:23 am #

It would have made me so happy if they let you swing with your sword when you tank shock…

7. Zeos April 11, 2014 5:55 am #

I can’t wait for Deathstrike Missile Spam to suck the fun out of my meta. Seriously, using the Apocalyptic Blast S 10 AP 1 barrage, ignores cover weapon to effectively end foot slogging and some types of bike armies. Sure they only fire on a 4+ starting turn 2 but what are you going to do? Deep strike remotely near them in a guard parking lot or conscript bubble wrap that is out of your main forces LoS? I know its not amazing but it is most definitely not-fun. In a mission like Emperor’s Will or the Relic they will be too useful.

• RyanL April 11, 2014 6:09 am #

How are Deathstrikes different to now, other than going to a 5″ blast rather than D3+3″?

It sounds scary but, if it still is forced to fire indirectly, the blast will scatter the full 2D6″ (does indirect also mean you can’t “Hit”?) and likely miss what they’re shooting at.

What it might stop is people building Tau-castles, which sounds like a good thing to me!

• Zeos April 11, 2014 6:10 am #

Dude, they are a 10″ blast now.

• RyanL April 11, 2014 6:32 am #

They’re rumoured to be a 5″ radius (10″ diameter, as you said) and they used to be D3+3″ radius (8 – 16″ diameter, average 12″!).

So it’s actually a nerf, I guess?

• Zeos April 11, 2014 7:33 am

Lol I goofed mixing up radius and diamiter for a minute there. I still think its too good because it means I may as well shelve my Orks indefinitely. I run Greentide and Bikes, not Rolla Wagon spam so unless KFF gets turned into a 5++ instead of cover I’m basically worse off than before.

• Adam
            Adam April 11, 2014 8:25 am

I think you mathed on yourself…

That’s a range of 4-6″ radius, so 8-12″ diameter with an average of 10″… All they did now is say that it’s 10″ so you can use your spiffy Apocalypse template.

The big thing is that it’s fired on a 4+ now, +1 for every consecutive turn you didn’t move, but still cannot fire on turn 1. Doing the math, that means if you deploy it and fire it on turn 2, you’re firing on a 2+. >:D

Personally, I can’t wait to use a couple of these… or 3.

• RyanL April 11, 2014 9:19 am

You’re right. Maths is hard!

Reecius April 11, 2014 7:34 am #

Yeah, they’re really no different than they were before. They’re honestly not very competitive, mostly just for fun.

• Adam
            Adam April 11, 2014 8:26 am

Except they fire on a 2+ by turn 2.

8. jadedknight April 11, 2014 7:22 am #

I’m excited for lots of cheap divination access.

What ruins a Death Stars day? Misfortune.

Seems like you can bring 9 rolls on the div table without allies.

9. Reecius
    Reecius April 11, 2014 7:34 am #

My thoughts exactly!

10. Infinite Freedom April 11, 2014 7:55 am #

Tank Commanders! Oh crap… I need more Fusion Blasters.

Reecius April 11, 2014 9:56 am #

I am pumped for the Tank Commander, too!

11. Adam
    Adam April 11, 2014 8:21 am #

Just posted it in your forums, but i’ll mention it here, how are you guys going to handle the discrepancies between the FW vehicles and the ones now printed in the new AM book? The hydra is totally different, the manticore and chimera have gone up points, etc.

Reecius April 11, 2014 9:56 am #

FW usually posts erratas pretty quickly. We’ll wait and see what they do.

12. Tomguycot April 11, 2014 8:38 am #

I’m actually borderline depressed by the new codex rumors. I’ve been playing Steel Legion since it was a thing back in 3rd ed. My original list was a bunch of Chimeras and dudes backed up by a few demolishers. When 5th ed came out I added Vendettas, 3 Griffons and 3 Medusas to my collection.

Now it looks like Chimeras are way worse both in points cost and function due to the way the vehicle hatch rules work. Demolishers which I already didn’t run are slightly more expensive, Vendettas went up in points by almost a third, and the Medusas and Griffons don’t even exist now!

This is seriously a pretty big downer to me. I was already on the fence about 40k after all the changes and of the past year so rather than pouring a bunch of money into my list to update it I’m pretty sure I’m just done with 40k.

• Adam
      Adam April 11, 2014 8:54 am #

Medusas and Griffons are still in the IA books, with the rest of the FW models.

Chimeras can now fire 1 less special weapon, at the cost of firing a bunch of lasguns at different targets. Their cost went up 10 points, while vets went down 10 points, it’s really not a huge difference.

Yes, Vendettas went up significantly… good! 170 points is pretty appropriate, and still a really damn good flyer for the cost.

You really won’t need to spend much, if anything to update your list, all the models you have are still usable, and quite good, and none of the new stuff is so good that you should drop everything to get them.

• Tomguycot April 11, 2014 9:21 am #

Yeah it’s hard to bring myself to totally sell out and be done with something I’ve enjoyed since the mid 90s but it’s also really hard to justify continuing to throw money at GW who, as far as I’m concerned, have been just dialing it in for at least a year.

I mean really, what does this book give us? A warlord chart, an option to take Leman Russes as HQs, and a totally redundant transport vehicle. With the trade off being of course being that a lot of things get worse and some things disappear (and I don’t buy the Imperial Armor argument, there are lots of places and play groups that won’t even let you take that stuff). Wow, yeah sign me up to pay $50 for that.

13. TrueKnight April 11, 2014 9:16 am #

1. Im excited for tapatalk lol it makes being on the forum so much easier at work! 2. Im excited o dust off the guard (I will not submit to calling them AM!) and just play with the new options combos. The new orders look great, so figuring out the new combos with lists is going to be fun

14. Slaede April 11, 2014 9:45 am #

Priests are going to be popular with their reroll saves power. Stick one in a bike squad with a couple White Scars chapter masters and they become even more unkillable than before.

Stick two in the bike squad and the chapter master rerolls to wound as well.

• Slaede April 11, 2014 9:51 am #

In fact, if you can take multiple priests in an allied detachment, you can have two death stars, one for each chapter master.

Between that, bikes and Wyverns being able to pick off Eldar jetbikes scooting around, Space Marines/IG will be on par with Eldar/DE.

• Slaede April 11, 2014 1:42 pm #

Well it don’t work with bikes because of focus fire, but jump packs works fine.

• Slaede April 11, 2014 1:59 pm #

Actually, anonymou5 just came up with the clincher.

4 Dev Centurions with grav
          1 Chapter Master with bike, shield eternal, etc…
          Tigurius with Gateway to Infinity
          Priest for reroll saves
          Cypher for hit and run and infiltrate

Can’t wait!

Can we ban joining units from other detachments now?

15. Slaede April 11, 2014 2:39 pm #

Forgot the Priest save only works in assault. My goof. Still useful though.

Reecius April 11, 2014 3:37 pm #

Yeah, and you have to pass a LD7 test to get it off, too.

• winterman April 11, 2014 4:46 pm #

One more reason to Yarrick then, use his LD.

• Aldaris April 12, 2014 12:18 am #

A Primaris would suffice, I think. Ld9 for the unit for 50 points with a divination power and a force axe.