signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

3-25-14

Intro

News

• Gaming Mat update and shipping times. And get those pre-orders in!
    • All orders will ship no later than the first week of May. We will have the inventory in our warehouse at the end of April.
    • When you place your order through the webcart, you are pre-ordering the mat you want.
  • Oh, and we forgot to mention, lol, Crimson Slaughter Culstists cause normal Chaos Space Marines to take Fear checks! hahaha
  • Forge World releases a new Adeptus Mechanicus tank!

ImageProxy (1) ImageProxy (2) ImageProxy (3)

• Micro Art Studios releases some awesome new terrain!

mas

• You all have to see this picture of Keno in his new outfit! Crazy Mongolian culture!

unnamed

• Rebel Minis releases a Mech Sniper, kind of a cool little dude!

ursa-mech-sniper-7

• Strange Aeons releases a funky mini called the watcher.

cult_2014

• Clan Raukaan is out! Shoot us orders for that very cool supplement.

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

•  Rules to be coming to WD such as mono Khorne, Slaneesh, Tzeentch or Nurgle? ABle to take units form Daemons and Chaos Space Marines books, apparently.

Rant Session

•  Franky tried the Helbrute formation.
  • A lot of folks wrote in when we talked about Night Haunter last episode and how they hope he comes out cool, not like a Murder-Pedo! lol

Tactics Corner

•  Tyranids really coming into their own with FMC spam.

Rules Lawyer

•  Can you roll on the crazed table the turn you deep strike?

List Review

I have gotten bored with eldar lately so i started thinking about combos between my white scars and the tiny little allied detachment of tau that i own.

The list is as follows

10 man tactical squad

meltagun

rhino

7 man tactical squad

meltagun rhino

Tau Allies

Buffmander stupidness (you know the upgrades)

10 Kroot

Riptide

Ion cannon

SMS

Sky fire, interceptor

3 Missile broadsides with interceptor

=1850pts

Turn one the chapter masters on join the riptide and buffmander to drop the orbital bombardments with the buffmander stupidness

then the chapter masters do there thing and the buffmander joins the command squad to erase units with the grav guns. any feed back would be nice, Thanks !

55 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Jokes”

1. RyanL March 25, 2014 5:17 am

I get that CSMs are meant to be disloyal and less disciplined but I can’t help but think there would be a better way to represent this than low leadership. They should be immune to Fear, no doubt, but perhaps they should still flee from a lost combat but still be able to shoot and charge?

Alternatively give any model with Champion of Chaos, Fearless. It makes the suicide of the unit champion an even bigger loss but goes some way to offsetting this horrible rule and fits the fluff better when your cowardly Cultist Champion Challenges a Wolf Lord!

I do wonder if the new CS supplement means CSMs are officially dead. There’s almost zero reason to play Codex CSMs now, unless you’re very attached to the Brand (but you can always take min CSM allies for it). There seems to be no real negative to using the CS rules and, in some ways, that’s a bit sad.

Great news that CSMs have received a desperately needed buff but it’s frustrating to have to compromise my Alpha Legion fluff (Cultists with Fear is just a bit weird). Can only hope for Chaos Legion dataslates in the future!

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah, you said it. They need some help quite badly right now in terms of making their basic troops playable. They suck, and it is sad that the best choice in the book for troops is the crummy cultists.

Champion of Chaos is such an incredibly bad rule in 6th ed 40K. Your units shouldn’t commit suicide in the course of doing what they are meant to do.

2. Doc_S March 25, 2014 5:29 am

Hey I found an error with the List for Review. In order to take a Command Squad you need to take a Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, or one of the listed named HQ’s. You can not take two chapter masters and the command squad unfortunately. Just bump the one that doesn’t have the Shield to a Captain or take Khan. Good luck!

• elphilo March 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah I rushed home to check my C:SM to see if I’ve been screwing myself all this time lol. Unfortunately you’re right, you have to take a Captain/Librarian/Chaplain or the few named characters to unlock the command squad.

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Ah, good catch! Yeah, only the honor guard for the Chapter Master.

3. Dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 7:06 am

That is incorrect the special exception in the rules disallows the unit coming in from reserved because blessings or malediction. There is no special except exemption that allows a unit on the table to cast a blessing on the unit that arrives from deserve it’s just the rules

4. Dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 7:24 am

I know we’ve discussed this on a different page but I’ll just repost this little bit here so we can discuss it’s a little further

Here is the way that I needed from the main rulebook as working

Deep striking occurs at the beginning of moving phase

Crazed roll occurs at the beginning of the movement phase

Psychic blessings and Maledictions occur at the beginning of moving phase

GW FAQ when multiple things occur at the beginning of the same phase The player whose turn it is decided the order in which they happen. I then decided to have my unit of Hellbrutes deep strike then roll crazed then if I feel like it cast a blessing on them.

The special exemption in the main rulebook states that you were coming in from reserve cannot be the one to cast blessings of malediction no other exemption is given.

These are the rules that are written in the book and FAQ you still haven’t given any actual rules to support your argument would you please supply any that support your argument. Thanks

• jy2
      jy2 March 25, 2014 9:15 am

The intent, or RAI, is obvious. Anything coming in from Reserves can no longer do “beginning of the Movement phase” actions. However, the paradox here is that the FAQ’s allow you to still do “beginning of the Movement phase” actions. I hate it when GW sends out these mixed signals. They’re such a damn tease.

• Robert March 25, 2014 9:22 am

Hi all,

a bit of clarity about what is and isn’t the beginning of the movement phase (regarding blessing, deepstriking, reserve rolls, tyranid instinctive behaviour tests etc).

My way of thinking:
      beginning of movement phase means “before this there anything which cannot be moved further in this movement phase”. Once there is something which can’t be move again this movement phase, then you are be definition in the middle of the movement phase, admittedly not very far into it.

Examples for when the beginning of the movement phase is over:
      Droppod is “moved” onto the table, Mawloc/ terminator deepstrike, flyer is moved onto the table, etc. (in each case they can be moved again, because they have already had their “move” for the turn).

Says it’s still sort of the beginning of the movement phase ‘cos I’ve only moved a few models, leads to lots of confusion.

cheers

• dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 12:56 pm

But the rules already say that you are wrong buy allowing us to cast a blessing on a unit that just came in from reserve or buy bringing on more then one unit from reserve both of witch couldn’t happen by your reasoning since once I deep strike one unit it is no longer the beganing of the movement phase

• Robert March 26, 2014 11:53 am

Thank you for your comment, its nice to know that someone has actually read what I have written 😉

I’ve just re-read the FAQ on Blessings, and it says they occur at the same time as the reserve Rolls, outflanking Rolls etc. The key here is the word “roll”, i.e. I roll to see if they are coming in this term, but they haven’t actually been “moved” onto the table.

Same for several units deepstriking, I “roll” for each and all of them before any are actually “moved” onto the table. For example with Scrier’s gaze, I first roll for the blessing, then the reserve rolls, then “move” any units onto the table; we are now in the “middle” of the movement phase so NO more blessings.

Thanks.

5. N.I.B. March 25, 2014 7:49 am

Personally I don’t like podcasts, usually I’m only interested in small parts and I have no idea when they show up. Since you guys already post the topics, can’t you write down the timings, like ‘Tyranid discussion starts around 34 minutes’? Would be great.

• RyanL March 25, 2014 7:55 am

Signals from the Frontline is (always?) under 30 minutes so you never have to listen to stuff that doesn’t interest you for long. It’s not like a lot of the other wargaming podcasts that last 3 hours!

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Yeah, we keep it short and sweet!

6. Hotsauceman1 March 25, 2014 8:41 am

I want a hunched back Night Haunter!!!!!!!!!!

• TinBane March 25, 2014 9:01 am

Noooooooooooo!

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Lol, damn you Hot Sizzle! hahaha

• Hotsauceman1 March 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Some people just want to watch the world burn 🙂 They just better Get Khan Right.

Also, when you start DZ commander give me a holla, I need people to play and to incetivize me to play.

Reecius March 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Fo sho. After Adepticon Frankie and I are getting into it. What faction do you play?

• Hotsauceman1 March 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Im bounching between UCM and Shaltari

7. iNcontroL March 25, 2014 8:49 am

nicely done gents <3

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks, sir!

8. jy2
    jy2 March 25, 2014 9:16 am

The Watcher needs a gun sticking it from the base (at the top) and then he’d really look like Mr Armstrong.

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Lol! Yes, like the Exocrine’s gun!

9. Mark March 25, 2014 10:47 am

CSM Champion of Chaos Pro-Tip (which I learned from keeping my Power Klaw Nob safe while playing Orks).

If you’re not within 2″ of an engaged friendly, you are not eligible to accept or issue challenges.

Keep that Sorcerer in the “back” then pile him in and ID that Hive Tyrant with his Force Sword/Axe/*Maul*

(*Maul*, because that’s what all sorcerers should have…. )

• iNcontroL March 25, 2014 10:54 am

he was in the back. I jumped down and b2b initiated the sorcerer.. no dodging a flyrant 🙂

• Mark March 25, 2014 11:22 am

You have to agree though, that Oblit unit is totally boss.

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:58 pm

The unit rocks, apart from that idiot Champion of Chaos rule.

10. Adam
    Adam March 25, 2014 1:00 pm

I still disagree with you Reece about Helbrutes, when things happen simultaneously, you can pick the order, arriving from deepstrike and rolling for crazed both happen at the beginning of the movement phase. There is so much prescient to allow them to do it, just like any other rule that happens simultaneously, I’m not sure why you seem to be stuck on this one?

PS – What’s on the Chaos hating lately? Did you lose a game to them so they must be nerfed? 😛

• Dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 2:20 pm

I think it would go a long way to helping chaos out if the hellbrute formations didn’t take up there ally slot like in frontline events. I can’t see anyone picking them over a ally

• Adam
        Adam March 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Haha, that too… I think the 2 sources thing might not really work, it makes it even worse to take soft choices.

Reecius March 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Holy crap, are you guys so in love with silly deepstriking Helbrutes that you would be willing to accept an ocean of Coteaz in every event? You are looking at this from too focused of a perspective. You open it up and all of a sudden all the lists look the same with the best units, cherry picked.

• Adam
            Adam March 25, 2014 3:02 pm

I totally understand where you’re coming from regarding Coteaz, but it does kinda suck that it’s more punishing on the weaker choices than the good choices. The good choices might actually still be worth taking, while it makes the “fun” choices even less viable.

• Adam
            Adam March 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Actually, I wonder how it would play out if you just said that “special allied formations” are just plain allies? So if you wanted coteaz, knights, etc., it would take up your allies slot, but it wouldn’t count as your second-source to take the Tyranid Hunters along side Ultramarines. I think that solves the problem you want to address, while simultaneously not making the weak formations weaker.

Reecius March 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Because then everyone gets pissed at perceived special treatment. And, you are asking to bend rules to benefit one formation which, truly, isn’t that great and probably won’t see much play time. The formations that will get played are all the good ones, which rightfully should take up an allies slot as they are crazy powerful.

• dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 4:10 pm

I would really love to take my hell brutes in my chaos army with out giving up my allies. But no not at that cost

Reecius March 25, 2014 4:35 pm

I totally get it. But then you get the Tau Formation with Coteaz as a trade-off. Totally not worth it from a TO perspective.

• dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 4:46 pm

I don’t think you would really see the Tau formation that much. No Coteaz on the other hand I think you’d see all the time. But I would really be worried about facing them. the last video I sent you guys was me playing against Tau with Eldar allies with the Tau formation and I beat it with chaos and feel I could on a regular basis

• Adam
            Adam March 25, 2014 4:47 pm

I’m not thinking about it benefitting one formation (which I still probably wouldn’t use), I’m thinking about it benefitting every sub-par formation while addressing the problematic formations, or as the case may be, the non-allies allies. Basically another way to solve the same problem you present, but without inadvertently pushing sub-par choices even lower.

• Adam
            Adam March 25, 2014 5:02 pm

I think the 2 army sources is logical, but keep in mind that the problem is blending 3 codexes into some uber force. What if same-faction dataslates didn’t count as a second source? Really it’s just an alternative way to take units that they have access to already, but by doing this, you’d still make it so that an Eldar army with Coteaz and a Cadre Firebase wouldn’t exist. All you need to do is clearly define your term “source” as “units from different codexes”. No picking favorites, solves the problem while not making the less competitive options even worse.

I agree with the principal of the rule, I just don’t agree with your execution is all. It’s a delicate act to accomplish the goal without unintended consequences, just accept that iteration is part of the process!

• Adam
            Adam March 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Sorry, that came out wrong, you don’t need to “accept” it, just keep it in mind. The more we iterate and refine, the better off we will be. There is no need to be married to the “2-sources” rule, but instead we can look at it as a starting point and find where to improve. Similar to the allies thread, there are plenty of totally fine things that would be impacted to make such a broad blanket rule. So let’s figure out how we can stop the Coteaz Cameo while not screwing over everyone else.

Reecius March 25, 2014 5:42 pm

I get your argument for sure. But all this fuss in this thread is about altering rules to allow in shiity formation that in all honesty, 99% of players wouldn’t take to a tournament, anyway =)

• Adam
            Adam March 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Haha, well fuss aside, really I think it would be a good modification to the rule, it does ever so slightly make the bad formations more usable while still addressing the concerns of the “2-sources” rule. 🙂

11. Slaede March 25, 2014 4:44 pm

A few friendly remarks:

You’ve already made a house rule allowing Imperial Knights to double their difficult terrain moves. If you’ve already crossed that rubicon, why not strike Champion of Chaos from your events?

The book clearly states that things arrive from reserve at the beginning of the movement phase in the ongoing reserves section. I would argue you are not only allowed, but required to roll crazed when you arrive because the beginning of the movement phase doesn’t end until all blessing/maledictions/reserve rolls and arrivals, etc… are finished.

What is the big deal about letting everything in at this point (not talking escalation, which is dumb)? What exactly makes Coteaz so great that we should fear every army having him? Why should every army take him? I’ve rolled every army I’ve ever faced that included him, so I don’t understand. I’m honesty wondering what the big deal is because I don’t get it. Is it the reroll to seize?

How is whatever he does worse than 2+ rerollable deathstars?

• dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Its not that big of a deal. and the reason people stopped play the Tau missilesicde army is because it gets rolled buy the 2++ reroll death star army. The tau formation doesn’t do anything to change that ether. So Im fine with them all

• Slaede March 25, 2014 5:01 pm

True. Tau formation is no big deal as it’s still Tau just standing around waiting for you to come to play into their hands just like every other Tau build under the sun.

Now the Endless Swarm I faced last week with 25 regenerating Hormagaunts with toxin sacs popping out of a Trygon hole that netted my opponent 500 free points? That might be a bit much.

• Slaede March 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Well it was three units of Hormagaunts. Nevermind the 50 termagants.

Reecius March 25, 2014 5:47 pm

It’s not that big of a deal if the other player has a 2+ reroll Deathstar? Hahaha, that is hardly a compelling argument, Ben! The logical next step there is, 2+ reroll is fine so long as the other guy has D Weapons, etc. etc. etc.

• dr.insanotron March 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Thats not what im saying. Im saying its not really that bad and beat it regularly with Chaos Marines.

Why are you limiting people to two sources? Because you think its to Powerful?

I dont think it is and think people should be able to select freely from the sources that are approved.

About the only thing I think is to OP for tourneys is D ranged weapons and some of the Fort stuff. Other then that its fine.

And before you comment yes I have played against some of the crazy combos and there really not that bad. I think most people just don’t like how unfluffy they are witch is understandable

Reecius March 25, 2014 5:46 pm

That is the exact argument that folks fear will occur when you cross the rules changing threshold. You can’t just say, well fuck it, we already changed one rule, let’s change em all!

I’m not implying that is what you were saying, but that is the slippery slope argument.

We only change rules when we feel that they were an obvious oversight (as with Iyanden Eldar, Knights through terrain, etc.) or when they are ultra OP rules, like the 2+ reroll. Outside of that, largely, we leave well enough alone.

The Champion of Chaos rule though is pure fail, lol, and I would love to see that go the way of the Doe Doe.

• Slaede March 25, 2014 6:00 pm

As would I. It is the worst rule in the game by a mile.

• Adam
        Adam March 25, 2014 8:24 pm

If it means losing my turret mounted Baleflamer, I say no thanks! Haha. Besides, I’m looking forward to losing my Aspiring champion to a cultist champ that causes fear and having the marines run down for it!

Reecius March 26, 2014 10:29 am

You are a masochist, sir! hahaha

And the Baleflamer may have been more my hatred of it speaking and not an actual need. That is why I ask you guys though, to gauge if I am going down the right path or seeing things only the way I see it.

12. Slaede March 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Glad to hear you guys coming around on Nids by the way.

Reecius March 26, 2014 10:30 am

It took a long time, honestly, But yeah, we’re starting to see the light!