The Curious Case of the Legion of the Damned

Spooky_Space_Kook

Hey everyone, Reecius here from Frontline Gaming to discuss the new Legion of the Damned Codex and how it will win every single game that it is used in. We should seriously consider banning this thing, people!

You heard it here first, folks! Strap on your seatbelts because I am about to take you on a wild ride that would make Mr. Toad squirt in his little frog britches.

That ride is called: Codex: Legion of the Damned.

Emperor save us.

How this over-powered, game breaking Codex could ever have been allowed to be printed, is beyond my powers of comprehension. Forget Taudar, Eldau, TauTau, E to the double D-Dar, Deldars, Fling Daemons, Flying Monkeys, Flaming Space Turkeys, Seer Councils, Revenant Dirty D Slappers, or Ambiguously Tau Riptide couples…this time, GW has gone too far.

They all ignore cover…all of them! My god, it’s madness! And we thought Tau were bad! They may all be slow, but they’re also purposeful. So much purpose in those burning eyes….

burning_eyes_by_chuuchilla111-d4lta5a

But that’s not the worst of it my friends, oh no, here is the most broken, OP rule of them all: the entire army deep strikes. ALL OF THEM! What insanity is this?! You heard that right, they don’t have a choice, they HAVE to Deep Strike! None of them are on the table for the first turn! Not one! Not a single model! So they have like, no units on the table at the end of the first turn….none….

It’s like they just appear form nowhere! An army of spooky space ghosts!

Spooky

Well GW, you may give us copy and paste books with the wrong title, spelling and grammar errors everywhere and appear to consider play-testing rules asking the intern in the cubicle next to your if “this rule sounds cool?” but an army this game breaking is just going too far. Well, I am not going to take it, I tell you!

I say we Ban Hammer this travesty of a codex and if anyone plays these OP Spooky Space Warriors, we all shame them as a community as no good Net Listers of the lowest order!

I may have to run a poll on this, or send out a newsletter. I am quite perturbed! Pshh, guess we know who is going to be auto-winning Adepticon this year.

53 Responses to “The Curious Case of the Legion of the Damned”

1. bigpig March 12, 2014 12:11 am

” asking the intern in the cubicle next to your if “this rule sounds cool?” Yep… seems to be about the extent of it :). This really made me laugh

I was soooo disappointed with this codex. Seriously….? Cut and paste and add a couple of relics for my 1 wound General? Sure!!! You can almost see it on Facebook by the way GW Digital Editions answers peoples questions the week before release when you can “preorder” the digital product (?!?)..

“Will I be able to field an HQ?” Gets and answer!

“Will there be any new units?” Is mysteriously ignored…..

Too bad. This would have been cool. GW would have gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids!

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Yeah, that about sums it up, Bigpig! lol

2. Fulcrum March 12, 2014 1:37 am

I’m strongly considering bringing LoD to BAO just so I can chill out, sit around, & heckle rules judges while tossing back shots of patron.

• Captn Dees March 12, 2014 6:26 am

If there is a ‘best of legion of the damned’ award I say do it!

3. Rogue Trader Voril March 12, 2014 3:22 am

They are not on the table first turn, so end of turn one they loose. No minis at the end of a turn = loose.

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Right, that was the joke =)

And it’s lose, not loose, that is a really common misspelling. Loose is like, Hang Loose.

• Crispy March 12, 2014 4:38 pm

In the glossary at the back of the book it says under “Aid from beyond” that they arrive turn 1.

It’s strange that its not mentioned anywhere else though..

Reecius March 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Yeah, exactly. It is a total oversight that makes the army auto-lose on turn 1.

• Crispy March 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Don’t you mean auto-loose 😉

• Gordon March 12, 2014 8:42 pm

I was going to make a comment about “cry havoc, and lose the dogs of war”, but then realized it actually says ‘let slip the dogs of war’, not ‘let loose the dogs of war’,

• Rogue Trader Voril March 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Hard to type sometimes on mobile. 🙂

4. Fagerlund March 12, 2014 3:34 am

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic here, calling an entire army Deep Striking turn 2 OP or not… but you know, it says clearly on p 122 that “if at the end of any game turn, one player has no models on the battlefield, his opponent automatically wins.”. So you think it’s OP because it’s a free win for the opponent, or what?
    And they have been ignoring cover since the SM-book hit… nothing new there. And yes, they can take Plasma guns that ignores cover… did you notice that the winner of ToF Invitational did this? Perfect counter to the Deercouncil.

• salamanders4lyfe March 12, 2014 4:39 am

I believe this article to be satirical in nature and on the same level as Jonathan Swift’s: A Modest Proposal. This is a biting social commentary of the highest caliber.

5. DCannon4Life March 12, 2014 3:42 am

This ‘codex’ makes the ‘Nid one smell like Shinola.

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Indeed! Lol

6. scousematt March 12, 2014 4:24 am

I play Space Wolves, and I saw the LoD codex and thought it might be cool for adding in some 13th Company Wolves as ‘counts as’ LoD.

I made the tragic mistake of buying the LoD codex. I’m a massive GW fanboy, who gives them an epic amount of slack. But this is the worst £10 I’ve ever spent in my life. Its so lazy. A pathetic mishmash of copied and pasted rules.

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Yeah, that is what made me mad, too. It just felt so amateur.

7. HohneD March 12, 2014 4:33 am

Little thought has been giving on making this codex/supplement that’s for sure. If I buy this book I am buying it with the intention of maybe making a complete LOD army, but like it is stated in the comment above, the game rules make this impossible. (no models on the table, instant loss)

GW received plenty of questions about this and gave the answer: “This army wasn’t intended to be played by itself, but rather as a allied force”.

Well, this should have been clearly stated in the codex somewhere to prevent confusion.

But, as with so many “terror-builds” like the TauTar, Eldau etc. Ways “can” be found to counter these and win against these. Much of what’s happening in 40k, momentarily, just seems so over the top unfair and unbalanced at first glance. We see the stats, we see the rules..omg this sucks! A similar thing happened with the Nyd codex, we saw the rules and stats and took it with a lot of criticism, but now I am seeing plenty of players at my local meta that play that book extremely well. (That might just be a local thing though, so take what I am saying not too seriously)

For me as a IG (Astra Militarum) player, those ignore cover rules are a damn pain, but I deal with it, learn how to play my army correctly and than learn how to deal with the “unbalancenessnessness”. Sure, winning is cool, but I think we all need to remember that this game, while competitive, is still a game and we should have fun playing it. Overall, I am taking these bad-ass builds as a challenge, and I like to be challenged.

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I love the Legion of the Damned, but this codex was just so lame in that it actually does not function! That was pretty bad design.

8. Snotling Swarm March 12, 2014 5:09 am

I’m okay with it being intended for use with allies. However, I really wish they had just included a sentence at the beginning of the codex stating that it was intended to be used with allies. Leaving it as a disappointing surprise generates a little bit of angst. I’ve always thought that explaining design decisions can cover a lot of mistakes.

• Captn Dees March 12, 2014 6:28 am

I think that’s the really disappointing bit. When I think Codex I think a full army I can play.

If it was intended to be used with another army make it a dataslate or a formation. Now we know we need to add things to make it work.

Just such a squandered opportunity by GW yet again.

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Exactly. All it needed was one sentence to CYA.

9. Adam "Loopy" Fasoldt March 12, 2014 5:50 am

TrollLOLLOL, Reece. Hehehe.

10. McBaf March 12, 2014 5:53 am

Check the Faiet Reece there is a letter from GW concerning that first round deep strike……(actualy you cannot ply pure legion of dammed list)…..

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah, I saw that, this article was purely satire.

11. Adam
    Adam March 12, 2014 6:36 am

Am I missing something? Are primary detachments of LotD not allowed to take allies?

12. Deekers March 12, 2014 6:53 am

Take them as allies and it will be a powerful combo but yea the rules do say that no models on the field at the end of any given turn lose the game, so unless these guys completely ignore this rule then its a slightly more powerful 5th edition Daemon codex. Havent looked over the book so Im merely stating what I think, not declaring anything

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:29 pm

They do lose on turn 1, this article was humor =) They are the opposite of broken =P

13. Adam
    Adam March 12, 2014 8:17 am

PS – They updated the codex, no longer an issue. 🙂

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Hooray!

14. Benn Grimm March 12, 2014 9:21 am

Loving the confusion and rage this has caused over on BOLS, great article Reece, bet it was a lot more fun to write than a review in earnest would have been. 😉

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:30 pm

I love to see them dance on my strings, lol! Muahaha!

• fleetofclaw March 12, 2014 6:38 pm

I was about to write a post saying that I bet this article would literally set BoLS off into nuclear holocaust from the simultaneous failure to understand sarcasm… but it looks like it actually happened LOL. Great article Reece.

Reecius March 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Hahaha, I haven’t lost my touch! The BoLS Trolls still go nuts on cue! hahaha

15. michael March 12, 2014 10:16 am

Im confused…aren’t they an entire army of spooky space ghosts…because you know they are!!!!…..and didn’t they update the codex? So what’s the issue? Sounds fucking rad to me 🙂

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:30 pm

It is rad…but by RAW, the army loses the game turn 1 automatically, every time.

• michael March 12, 2014 4:31 pm

OHHHH nOOOO space ghosts are auto-lose!!!!

16. Novastar87 March 12, 2014 10:42 am

What did the update do/say?

• michael March 12, 2014 10:55 am

They can only be taken as allies and not as a stand alone army so there won’t be a ‘auto-win’ legion of the damned army rolling around.

Reecius March 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Really? Cool. Ours says they can be there own force.

• Adam
          Adam March 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Yeah, gotta wait for the digital versions to update. Look at the bright side, one less trophy to make!

Reecius March 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Haha, too true!

• michael March 12, 2014 4:34 pm

I think they clarified on there FB…which is just stupid. I totally want to do a legion of the damned army. It would be a fun way to paint and convert some neat looking Space Ghost Dragon Zombi Skeletor Marines…..this article is totally in jest right? It feels like it…

Reecius March 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Yes, haha, totally satire all the way.

And yeah, an undead themed Legion of the Damned army would be awesome!

• Zarryiosiad March 12, 2014 9:29 pm

And it’s their, not there, that is a really common misspelling. There is like, Hang in there.

Good for the goose…

• Arclight March 13, 2014 12:28 pm

So they released a codex and then, after waiting for people to buy it under the impression that the army could be used on its own (which at least some people must have done), changed the rules in it to state that they could only be used with/as allies?

That’s low.

17. scousematt March 12, 2014 12:08 pm

The only thing about the codex i like is that it still has the standard GW codex format. So it has a summary page. When your codex has one unit in, it makes for a pretty sorry looking summary page.

18. narceron March 13, 2014 6:15 am

Can they ally with eldar? I see that as being a hindrance, 🙂

19. Anonymous March 13, 2014 8:45 pm

‘avin’ a giggle there, Reece?

I’ll deep strike me fist right in yer gob, I will!

Reecius March 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Haha, not if you’re a LotD army, you won’t! hah

20. /tg/ January 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Legion of the Damned.

Broken?

Are you fucking kidding me?

21. Seam of Asguard March 5, 2015 11:37 am

There was an august 20h update to the ebook, does anyone now what they changed? Could they have given squads “Aid From Beyond”? I dont really want to buy it if I cant really field the army by itself … and if there is a new one potentially in the works.