signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

1-28-14

News

• Las Vegas Open is almost upon us! A few reminders.
    • We will not have the Playstation kids corner, we ran out of room as we sold out the event!
    • Get your Con Badges! We don’t want folks showing up and getting an unpleasant surprise.
    • The Dinner Social Event will be announced today via email. Everyone will be responsible for making their own reservation. See you there! Steak!
    • Crystal Brush voting and competition will be on Sunday.
    • All of the best of Trophies have been made, and they look great!
  • It looks like the first run of Mega Mats will be here Tuesday!
  • Big thanks to Drittunger for the shout out! Check out their blog is you are looking for a cool new source of info! http://www.drittunger.no/?p=1942#more-1942
  • Games Workshop Antioch near us is closing. Too bad, we wish Josh, the manager, success is his next venture.
  • Micro Art Studios releases some more, cool Tau Ceti terrain. And yes, we do carry these!

• Terragnosis releases a really cool new mini!

• Forge World releases a new WIP that looks pretty awesome! Looks like Alpha Legion or Salamanders.

• Kromlech releases a new artillery piece that is pretty awesome!

• Tale of War Miniatures, a Spanish company, releases some awesome new sculpts that are pretty blatant rip-offs of Metal Gear, but hey. We do sell these for anyone interested.

product_96695 product_100298 product_100299

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

• Epic to return? Supposedly the starter set will come with Space Marines, IG and Orks. Expansions planned.
  • Rumors of new editions of 40K and Fantasy this year….wow. The rules will be extremely similar to one another to make transitions between games easier.
    • BoLS is reporting that the update to 6th ed, or “Not 7th ed” as it is being called, will come with a new starter set.
    • Supposedly Launch Window – @September

Rules Summary: Updated Mini-rulebook contains FAQs, minor tweaks and clarifications, and much of Stronghold Assault rolled into a new shiny package.

Miniatures included: @70
      Armies:
       Blood Angels (plastic quick assembly)
      – Assault Marine Squad
      – Tactical Marine Squad
      – Death Company Squad
      – Captain (kitted out for assault)
      – Chaplain
      – Sanguinary Priest (limited edition, similar to the Dark Vengeance mini was)
      Orks (plastic quick assembly)
      – ‘Ardboys (full mob)

– Nobs (small squad)

– Warboss
      – Big Mek
      – Ork themed fortification
      This was described as simply an updated Warhammer 40,000 Starter Set and specifically “NOT 7th Edition.”
  • Rumors of Specialist Games to return! That would be awesome. Although, it will not be called Specialist Games any longer, the games will be stand alone products that will be supported with expansions. All of them will be plastic with Cardstock. Sounds cool!
    • Blood Bowl
    • Epic
    • BFG
    • White Dwarf pics are popping up of Dawrves! We don’t know yet when they will get released, but, when you see them on GW’s website though, game on! We can hook you up.
    • Ork Playtest rules up on Faeit, maybe. He says take it with salt, but they look interesting.
      • Str 4 Orks again?
      • Super Cheap Dreads and Kans, that would be awesome!
      • Stormboyz as troops?! We will soon see, please just don’t Nids them!

Rant Session

• Tyranid Data Slates

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

List Review

In my battelgroup, chaos seems to getting beaten up alot, and deamons seems to be the go to detachment.

I dont know if its the same over there? but where is TAU?! in all this…

I have been play testing this list lately, and I love it. (its 1850 points)

Commender gives riptide, twin-linked, monster hunter, tank hunter, ignore cover.

Broadsides sits in the bastion With a 2+ save, and the get fearless inside there.

Typhus drops With oblits if oblits aint necassary popping tanks.

The flaw seems to be firstblood With zombies, cus I need to deploy two units. And one need to man the comms.

atm I dont have the oppertunity to meet every sort of list, so what do you guys think?

HQ

Typhus (230)

Troops

10x – Plague Zombies (50)

10x – Plague Zombies (50)

10x – Plague Zombies (50)

10x – Plague Zombies (50)

10x – Plague Zombies (50)

Fast attack

Heldrake (170)

Heldrake (170)

Heldrake (170)

Heavy support

2x – Obliterators (140)

Fortification

Imperial Bastion (95)

Emplaced heavy bolters(x4); Comms relay;

Secondary Detachment:

Tau Empire (625)

HQ

Commander (140)

Crisis battlesuit; Multi-tracker; Blacksun filter; Vectored retro-thrusters; Command and control node; Puretide Engram Neurochip; Multi-spectrum Sensor Suit;

Elites

XV104 Riptide (210)

Riptide battlesuit; Multi-tracker; Blacksun filter; Riptide shield generator; Ion accelerator; Twin-linked smart missile system; Early warning override; Velocity tracker;

Troops

Kroot Carnivore Squad (65)

1x Kroot Hound (5pt.);

Heavy support

3x – Broadside Battlesuit Team (210)

Twin-linked high-yield missile system; Twin-linked smart missile system; Early warning override;

Q: Can I use Nova and hit enemys while embarked in a transport without an fire Points?

If you look at pg 12 Choose a target:

“Choose a target for them to shoot at.”

if you then look at pg 69 Witchfire:

The psycher must be able to see the target unit (or target point), … if he wishes to manifest the withcfire”

Note that, as witchfire is a shooting attack, a psyker embarked on a vehicle can target an enemy outside that vehilce using a fire point.

There are several different sub-types of witchfire, each applying a slightly different targeting restriction.

if it has one of the following subtypes, use the rules for that subtype.

Nova:

a nova auto target and auto hit…. and dont need LOS.

if targeting is done by choosing a target to shoot at, and I need the fire point to target – would you say that a nova actually never targets anything?

Thx, even if u dont adress it!

35 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Jokes!”

1. Avatar
    nimrod451 January 28, 2014 1:38 am #

The wip from forge wolds looks like a pyroclast talked about in vulkan lives… Looking forward to some forge hotness for the salamanders

2. Avatar
    anonymou5 January 28, 2014 4:34 am #

Reposting this from my email, hehe

So it’s like the coldest its ever been in Columbus GA, and I did wind sprints this morning. On my way home I had your podcast on, and low and behold, I was getting mocked for bringing a Hades Autocannon. hahaha. I have to defend myself real quick, I only bring a Hades in lists that have their anti infantry needs met.

If I’m running a Flying Circus, and I have 5d3+5 AP3, ignores cover, vector strikes available, I hardly need a baleflamer. The Hades Drake is actually really, REALLY good anti air (assuming prescience, which the Daemons bring). In that specific list, it’s the better weapon. I also bring it in my zombie horde list, but that list already has a Baleflamer in it, and has no anti air whatsoever.

I would never advocate bringing a hades over a baleflamer in a normal list. Nor in a list that has a Riptide/Broadsides for AA, lol. (that list was great, although really weak to Serpents, who eat through Zombies and Kroot super duper fast)

Reecius January 28, 2014 8:51 am #

I’ll trust your judgement only because you beat Christian….for now!

anonymou5 January 28, 2014 9:56 am #

Haha

Well my hades drake did kill three Wolf Guard and his Manticore. Then it got Vultured.

• Adam
      Adam January 28, 2014 10:13 am #

I’ve been using the Hades drake off and on since the book came out, lately though, I’ve been using one every game and have even considered running double hades! This is because Eldar flyers get taken down quickly by them, then I can spend the rest of my time wrecking transports. 4 Skyfire S8 shots is pretty decent and has proven quite helpful now that people are learning how to mitigate baledrakes.

Reecius January 28, 2014 10:23 am #

The madness is spreading!

anonymou5 January 28, 2014 12:53 pm #

Haha, seriously though. A Flying Circus has no issue killing Infantry. What it seriously lacks is long range anti tank, especially anti flier (Fateweaver’s two high strength shots are a beam and a blast and can’t hit air, Flickering Fire is S5, the Lash is S6 barring Iron Arm). A Hades Drake can fly over an enemy flier and shoot it in the rear armor. With Prescience and Daemonforge it does 3> HP on average to AV10 plus pen results. To AV 12 it does about 2.5 (with 33% of results being pens). It’s a much needed tool in the list. Plus it’s still an extra Vector Strike for doing the AP3/Ignores cover thing.

3. Avatar
    THE General Oadius January 28, 2014 8:26 am #

Now that any scoring unit is also a denial unit, are you going to allow flyers to deny an objective with the proximity of their base or the actual model?

4. Avatar
    THE General Oadius January 28, 2014 8:28 am #

Don’t say both.

5. Avatar
    THE General Oadius January 28, 2014 8:30 am #

Both would be absolutely retarded…. period.

6. Avatar
    THE General Oadius January 28, 2014 8:33 am #

Did I say period? Because I mean retarded in the most politically incorrect way. Retarded in the same sense as someone who donated a chromosome willingly or enjoys blunt head trauma or retarded like the voluntary contraction of a life threatening disease.

7. Avatar
    THE General Oadius January 28, 2014 8:36 am #

For “speed” or “ease of tournament play we should just forget all the other carefully laid out rules that GW wrote and published for us. Perhaps we should all just play tic tac toe for 3 days, I definitely got into Warhammer 40k for the ease and speed of play. Respectfully.

Reecius January 28, 2014 8:52 am #

What are you talking about, Oade? Are you asking a rules question or asking about the FAQ or something? I am having trouble telling if you are being serious or joking.

8. Avatar
    Hotsauceman1 January 28, 2014 9:15 am #

Please dont send me that email, Im riding with geoff, I dont want to know what that looks like.

9. Avatar
    Hotsauceman1 January 28, 2014 9:17 am #

And the mini is tastful if you ask me. She looks like she is meant to be in the esert fighting, so she is cool with a tank top

Reecius January 28, 2014 1:41 pm #

We were just screwing around, that is a great miniature.

10. Avatar
    THE General Oadius January 28, 2014 9:17 am #

For ease of tournament play, at this event, Flyers may never score or contest an objective marker. Note that a Flyer made into a scoring unit may still achieve the Linebreaker mission.

I woke up at 6am and read the LVOIGTC I panicked when I read that a scoring unit could also deny. I don’t have a problem with this except for with flyers. Apparently I skipped over the part where you clarified this exactly. My bad. I’ll just stfu now.

11. Avatar
    Mark January 28, 2014 9:35 am #

You shouldn’t attempt to win arguments with the line, “It fits when I LARP.” *laughs*

Reecius January 28, 2014 9:54 am #

Damn, that’s my best line!

fleetofclaw January 28, 2014 10:59 am #

That line *ends* arguments with authority.

12. Avatar
    fleetofclaw January 28, 2014 11:05 am #

wooohooo hooo ho HO HO HOoooo *maniacal gibberish*
    The Tyranid Dataslates. Yup, don’t give a flying F at this point until they give the slate that lets me cram more Biovores, Exocrines, and TFexes in my list.

By the way, here is my submission for a Tyranid House Rule:
    Army wide special rule: “They’re Coming out of the Walls!!!!” weapons with the Ignores Fire special rule (with the exception of Templates) do not remove cover saves from units from Codex: Tyranids.

At the very least give this to our medium to small sized bugs and I’d be happy.

fleetofclaw January 28, 2014 11:06 am #

Supposed to say “…weapons with the Ignores Cover special rule…”

Reecius January 28, 2014 1:41 pm #

If Ignores Cover goes to -2, that fixes SO much.

And they need to be able to ally with themselves.

Jayson January 28, 2014 6:52 pm #

i am for that 100%, and the D is -1 or -2 for invals, and -2 cover.

Reecius January 28, 2014 7:40 pm

I like that, that is fair enough, IMO.

fleetofclaw January 28, 2014 9:16 pm #

Word! Allying with ourselves helps us get around the lame brotherhood of psykers crap they dropped on Zthropes and also let us squeeze some more Heavy Dupport slot lovin’.

Reecius January 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Yeah, one more heavy slot is crucial.

13. Avatar
    Jayson January 28, 2014 6:49 pm #

No one bats an eye(to include myself) when we talk about buffing Tyranids, but they lose the minds when you try and nerf 2++. I think we should let Tyranids allie with themselves, push out synapses to 12” or even 18”, and only on a roll of 1 do you eat you buddy. (Book powers???? Let talk about this) But if we do that, then a IC should not be able to join a riptide. Balance should go both ways.

Reecius January 28, 2014 7:41 pm #

I agree with what you said, for sure. Riptides should not be joined by ICs, and Nids need help. Bad.

anonymou5 January 28, 2014 9:21 pm #

Counter offer. All MCs are now ICs. Squads of Daemon Princes, oh yeah!

fleetofclaw January 28, 2014 11:19 pm #

if I could stuff a Flyrant in a flock of gargoyles… done and DONE!

Reecius January 28, 2014 11:27 pm #