Warhammer 40K Escalation Video Bat Rep Revenant vs C’Tan 1750pts

reece.1

JY2 brings his Cron Air list with a Transcendent C’Tan against Reecius’ Revenant Titan in a battle of the D’s! We also try out some Void Shields with proxy models to see what their impact on the game would be. Be sure to check the Tactics Corner for more video bat reps and articles!

63 Responses to “Warhammer 40K Escalation Video Bat Rep Revenant vs C’Tan 1750pts”

1. Adam
    Adam December 16, 2013 11:40 am #

I gotta say, that game was closer than you made it sound like it would be! 😛

JY2’s list was pretty decent for it, I’m still not sure if I’d have taken the Annihilation barges, Doomscythes might actually make a come back, since against the revenant (or other super heavies) if it pens, AP1 has a good chance to cause a bunch of HP. Also I’m not sure what he was trying to accomplish by deploying his warriors next to the revenant in a spot where he couldn’t really spread out. Anyhow, thanks for the Escalation battle report!

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:06 pm #

He was trying to kill it with Gauss weapons and Haywire! Holo Fields just shut it down.

• Adam
        Adam December 16, 2013 12:52 pm #

Yeah, that’s what I figured, I just didn’t think the math was worth the risk in my head… Maybe if it was low. 20 gauss shots is only going to cause ~1.111 HP of damage, plus only about 0.833 from the haywire, so that adds up to a whopping less than 2, haha. Maybe if it was more severely crippled… I guess I generally don’t hope for a lucky shooting phase, because they don’t seem to happen for me, haha.

Reecius December 16, 2013 4:01 pm #

Yeah, but he was desperate at that point, he didn’t have many other options left.

• Adam
            Adam December 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah it’s a lot easier to watch a battle report and suggest different things. I certainly won’t ever claim to be great at 40k, but I am good at running odds, and well, I wouldn’t have taken those odds! Haha.

• Xaereth December 17, 2013 9:00 am #

Maybe I’m missing something, but don’t the Crypteks shoot 4 haywire shots each? If that’s the case, 8 shots with a haywire gun should net somewhere around 4-5 HPs on their own, not including the possibility of a pen on a 6.

Also, 20 Gauss shots should hit around 12 times (BS4, correct?) and roll an average of 2 glances, netting Jy2 ~ 6-7 HP on average.

Maybe I just don’t understand how glances affect HP on Superheavies or Void Shields?

• Adam
            Adam December 17, 2013 9:48 am

Haywire: 4 shots, 2.666 hits, 2.222 roll 2+ to glance/pen, half of those make it past the Titan Holofields, for 1.111.

Gauss: 20 shots, 13.333 hits, 2.222 glances, 1.111 make it past the Titan Holofields.

So yeah, I was wrong about the Haywire (I thought it only had 3 shots for some reason). Still though, that only adds up to 2.222 HP of damage and risking a scoring unit (doubly so because they had to bunch up to fit on the building).

• jy2
            jy2 December 17, 2013 6:17 pm

On average, I should have gotten 3 HP’s off of the titan (and that’s not counting the possible pens). With a little bit of luck, I could have killed him since he already lost 4-5 HP’s. However, I rolled poorly and Reece rolled well with his Holo-field saves.

• jy2
            jy2 December 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Adam, you are forgetting that I have 2 storm-teks firing, so its 1.11+1.11+1.11 HP’s of damage.

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:52 pm #

Hey dude, why don’t you come by and try your luck against the Rev? Let’s do a competitive video bat rep and we can see if you can actually stop the thing while playing a normal list and having fun, too.

• Adam
        Adam December 16, 2013 5:49 pm #

Lol, because I know up front I don’t have what it takes to kill it!

• Adam
          Adam December 16, 2013 5:58 pm #

But actually, what the hell. I’ll bring a couple armies this weekend. My normal one for BeerHammer then one to mess around with mister fancy pants.

Reecius December 16, 2013 6:00 pm

That’s the spirit! Who cares if you lose, I don’t! The Rev is so lame to use in a normal game. I hope you do prove me wrong and blow it sky high, I just doubt that it will happen =P

• Adam
            Adam December 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Then we can play BeerHammer after and forget all our woes.

Reecius December 16, 2013 6:00 pm #

Oh my goodness! Hahahaha, after all the BS you were saying about tactics and such taking it down and you wimp out?! hahaha, oh, Adam!

• Adam
            Adam December 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Haha well dude, I’ll do my best. I have a list I wrote before I found out that Be’Lakor was banned. I have no expectations of winning, but I’m sure it will be fun either way. If I wanted to win games, I wouldn’t be playing CSM! 😛

Reecius December 17, 2013 7:11 am

Good point! haha

2. hambilton December 16, 2013 11:53 am #

If you had fortifications with void shields would it offer any kind of additional defense. Just curious about your experience with escalation combined with strongholds?

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:05 pm #

We did have void shields! =P

3. Painnen December 16, 2013 11:55 am #

Exactly what I predicted from a max protect rev list. The ctan having to walk up to it was unfortunate as was its roll for damage but again, as predicted from a list trying to keep a rev alive as long as possible

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:05 pm #

Yup. Max defense, have it fly around and just hose everything.

4. Justin December 16, 2013 11:57 am #

Wow, that Titan is brutal. Still weak against flyers, but as strong as it is against ground units, you could set the rest of your army to be anti flyer and be “balanced.” Great job though, I really am enjoying all of these match ups, keep them coming.

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:07 pm #

It is fun to play them, honestly, but not in a “serious” game, IMO. For laughs? Most definitely!

5. Rawrgyle December 16, 2013 12:01 pm #

Thanks for the reveal at the end ;p “You might as well just roll a die to see who goes first”. I really wish people would realize exactly what you said at the end of the video. This is a game of D vs anti D, and it basicly comes down to who goes first.

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:07 pm #

Yup. A single D shot is actually somewhat mangable, but when a unit can defend against it, or has multiple D shots, it just dominates.

6. hambilton December 16, 2013 12:31 pm #

I really like the idea of playing with EVERYTHING and having those huge amazing models on more tables. I was hoping the the strongholds would balance out the D weapons. I can just envision a fortification of guardsmen holding out against a titan or some huge monster. Epic. Anyway, it still sounds fun.

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:43 pm #

I think there is room for everything in certain formats. I love the big models, too!

But the amount of absolutely insane combos that comes out of that boggles the mind. I think we just need to look at multiple format events.

7. Thomas Reidy
    Goatboy December 16, 2013 12:48 pm #

Remember what I said – it isn’t fair to have 1 D versus 4 D’s in the face. We only got one D for ourselves it isn’t fair when you have to fight 4.

Reecius December 16, 2013 12:51 pm #

How about 4 D’s and the only defense against the D! hahaha, it is so lopsided!

• anonymou5 December 16, 2013 3:40 pm #

My counter to the metaphorical D is to pull my literal D out on the table. It’s an alpha strike that few can withstand.

Reecius December 16, 2013 4:01 pm #

Hahaha, well played, sir!

8. hambilton December 16, 2013 1:04 pm #

We played a pretty sizeable game of apoc recently with multiple titans and all the good stuff. It was like we had two sub games going on with a silent agreement that the D weapons were for taking down the big boys. then in the end, whichever one was standing finished the game. Luckily, apoc is built to allow multiple sessions worth of objectives, with breaks in between. I think we all shot at the titans and such with D weapons first because we instinctively knew that if we didnt destroy theirs first, they would win and vice versa. Either way, it was pretty well balanced, pretty competitive and we had an amazing time. Also formations like the 5 man librarian D weapon of doom was big help. People could field D weapons and other really neat stuff and not have to own a 500 dollar titan.

9. Noah December 16, 2013 1:58 pm #

So Reece I picked up Escalation and Stronghold Assault and read through both. The only thing it made me do was laugh and smile at all of the ridiculous kind of stuff thats in there. Coming away from it I have the same exact reaction as you that this can only be seen as something fun but it should not be competetive. If you try to be competetive then the game wont be fun. Good batrep though I did enjoy it!

10. Pascal Roggen December 16, 2013 4:16 pm #

it’s not D vs D, you can make a really sweet army that doesn’t have anything that expensive and just go after an opponents titan.
    1750 vs a vulcan drop list. it’ll be a darn quick game:)
    It;s not the only list , but it’s the easiest old list you could do:)

• anonymou5 December 16, 2013 4:26 pm #

It’s not that hard to bubble wrap against melta. I don’t think drop melta is the answer, and I say that as someone who owns 9 Drop Pods.

Reecius December 16, 2013 6:01 pm #

I’m with Anonymou5, I think a good Rev list with multiple Voids can easily deploy in such a way as to counter Pods.

And, you can always just reserve it.

• Pascal Roggen December 16, 2013 7:40 pm #

yay, reserve it! 🙂 the longer it stays off the board the better:), then you can have a race to see who can have there reserves stay off the board longer to counter each other, either way it’s off the darn board!

• Pascal Roggen December 16, 2013 7:47 pm #

also, if you are bubble wrapping the thing, it can’t jump around the board and then you can actually hide from it. I’m not saying it’s a perfect list by any means but It’s well worth having a go with it.

one half of the drop list can be armed with anti troop stuff and the other half with melta, first lot deals with any bubble wrap[+1 melta to kill some void shields if necessary] then after that it’s hide from the scary pods 🙂

• anonymou5 December 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Why isn’t it bubble wrapped with Wave Serpents? haha. That should be easy enough to do in a board corner. Plus it’s obviously standing on a Skyshield.

It only has to sit in the corner for two turns, and wait out the melta. Then whatever is on the ground dies.

I thought through the drop pod solution, I don’t think it works on an enemy with a pulse.

Reecius December 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Good suggestion, hahaha, and they can keep up with him, too. Plus they provide AA.

Reecius December 17, 2013 7:12 am #

True, but then it comes on and Alhpa strikes the first wave of pods quite easy destroying two units of them from max range and they spend the game never doing anything to it.

11. jy2
    jy2 December 16, 2013 5:25 pm #

To be fair, it isn’t the combo of the Revenant and 9 Void Shields that beat me. Rather, it was the long Hammer & Anvil deployment that killed me. There was no way I could get the alpha-strike on Reece’s Revdar due to the extreme length of the table. Then when my flyers came in, all Reece had to to do with his Revenant’s ridiculously fast 36″ move is to jump into my flight path and force me to overshoot him.

I really don’t know why the hell they made him so good in this edition. In the previous Apoc, if he wanted to move 36″, then he couldn’t shoot. Now, he gets his cake and gets to eat it also. Well, to that, I say….eat D! 😀 😀 😀

Reecius December 16, 2013 6:03 pm #

The Rev does force you to eat a D! The jerk! hahaha

12. Jason Brown December 16, 2013 6:55 pm #

So after playing around with stuff, I am finding escalation to be “balanced” at 2k plus. It allows you to absorb some of the crazy gunslinging madness, and have enough pow to down the SH. Also lots of hiding holes need to be in the terrain.

Reecius December 17, 2013 7:12 am #

Yeah, I could see bigger games with double FoC to work better with such powerful units running around.

13. matthew December 16, 2013 7:09 pm #

With forge world throwing its lords of war into the ring the reaver can throw down 8 d templates with inbuilt void protection. Could be a contender…

Reecius December 16, 2013 10:02 pm #

Yeah, hahaha, that would work! How many points though, isn’t it 2.5k?

14. Chosen of Khorne December 16, 2013 10:29 pm #

It almost seems like the lords of war and the fortifications should be the same slot in the force org. That way you could either take the D or the D-fence (voids), but not both. I know you can get the D with some of the fortifications, but an immobile D is not nearly so problematic.

Reecius December 17, 2013 7:10 am #

Yeah, that’s a good point. Otherwise you will always take both.

15. Matthew December 16, 2013 11:14 pm #

A soul destroying 1450:) leaves me plenty of room for coteaz and some imperial guard on void shield patrol.

Reecius December 17, 2013 7:13 am #

Haha, you mean squad bubble warp? =P

16. Callofdoobie December 16, 2013 11:18 pm #

Cool Batrep, I love watching these things in fun games more and more (just keep them out of tournaments lol). If the C’tan had that 6D6 krak missile power (Seismic Assault?) he’d of put some hurting on that Revenant!

Reecius December 17, 2013 7:13 am #

Yeah, that could have been punishing! So many shots!

17. jy2
    jy2 December 17, 2013 8:46 am #

That weapon is 200-pts! IMO, it’s not very viable at 1750 for a TAC Escalation army. Yes, this is an Take-All-Comer’s list that wasn’t written specifically to handle the Revenant.

At 2K, I might consider it but…naw! I’d go for another troop in flyers and for some Double D fun! Yes, that’s 2 Wave of Withering!

Reecius December 17, 2013 11:33 am #

You have to take 2 powers though, right?

• Callofdoobie December 17, 2013 5:49 pm #

You have to buy two from the second category and I don’t think you can take Wave of Withering twice, so Jy2 might of had a gimped C’Tan. I feel on on wanting troops but what good are scoring units if you can’t get rid of the Reventant (or whatever D wielding SH they bring) until they’re all almost dead? If you had hit the Revenant with the Hellstorm template and 6d6 krak missiles (average of 21 hits) he’d of dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Not trying to tell you how to build your army, I love all the “regular” lists I’ve ever seen you play! Just offering my 2 cents XD.

• jy2
          jy2 December 17, 2013 6:27 pm #

Actually, you can. Check out the entry between the C’tan and the other Necron SH and you’ll see what I mean. The other Necron SH explicitly says you have to choose 2 DIFFERENT powers. For the C’tan, it leaves out the “DIFFERENT” in its wording.

I’m sure if I were to take the 6D6 power, Reece would have played it differently. Who knows, maybe he couldn’t have taken the gamble to kill my C’tan and just hide in the comfy of his Void Shield kingdom. 😉

• jy2
        jy2 December 17, 2013 6:21 pm #

Yeah, I messed up there.

• jy2
        jy2 December 17, 2013 6:22 pm #

I would have taken Cosmic Fire, drop both Storm-teks and the 2+ save on my Overlord to make it all work.

18. Jochen December 17, 2013 1:35 pm #

Remember, if you get caught in an alley, always “look out sir” that D.

• Jochen December 17, 2013 1:39 pm #

Never have minions so willingly thrown themselves upon the sword that is the D.

Reecius December 17, 2013 3:19 pm #

Haha, the only defense! You force your buddy to take the D for you!

• Jason Brown December 18, 2013 12:59 am #

You look around for your buddy with the kilt…sorry bro you are attire ready for the D slap.