Warhammer 40K Video Battle Report Raven Guard vs Tau & Eldar

taima.01

Ironfront Alex brings his nasty Taudar list out for some practice for the Guardian Cup, in Portland Oregon, against Reecius’ experimental Rhino Rush Raven guard and Space Wolf list in this Warhammer 40K video battle report! Check out the Tactics Corner for more video bat reps, articles and analysis!

29 Responses to “Warhammer 40K Video Battle Report Raven Guard vs Tau & Eldar”

1. Jason Brown November 8, 2013 12:22 pm #

My kid plays a Tau list, and what I have noticed is a tendency to a) Clump up with Tau and b) if you can survive the fusillade of Ignores Cover S5+ dice wall, you can push them off the table. The fulcrum of that is that survival piece. Hot rolls can leave your Pickets charge doing the Harlem Shake as they are perforated by fish man bullets.

Nice game and I look forward to seeing Iron up here in the Sunshine of PDX.

Reecius November 8, 2013 12:36 pm #

The Harlem Shake while being perforated by Fish Man Bullets! hahahaha, classic!

• Bigpig November 8, 2013 1:17 pm #

Stuck out to me too lol

2. Clover362 November 8, 2013 1:12 pm #

Reece, what ap2 weapons do you have in your list as constructed? I was wondering how your army would do against some of the armies out there that double down on the 2+ save like quad riptide or draigowing. obviously you’d have a huge advantage in mobility and number of scoring bodies in those match ups but it seems like actually causing damage to your opponent would be tough.

Reecius November 8, 2013 1:19 pm #

I have a number of Meltas and Multi Meltas and the Melta Bombs for things like Riptides. Mostly, I Bolter them to death, though.

And, as you said, I win by having more objectives at the end of the game in most missions =)

3. anonymou5 November 8, 2013 1:45 pm #

Grey Hunters are always the men of the match, bosses.

Reecius November 8, 2013 3:26 pm #

Indeed they are. Still arguably the best troop in the game.

4. krisbot4000 November 8, 2013 2:39 pm #

awesome game guys, shame you didnt get to play it out.

Reecius November 8, 2013 3:26 pm #

Yeah, I wish we could have finished as I think I had it. I still had 10 scoring units left!

5. steven morrow November 8, 2013 6:08 pm #

I like the amount of pressure this army can pile on.

Reecius November 8, 2013 6:40 pm #

Yeah, you should see it when the other player doesn’t deploy correctly! It’s insane pressure turn 1.

6. jy2
    jy2 November 8, 2013 6:16 pm #

This is what I call MTO marines!

Now let’s see them rush daemons. Haha! 😉

Reecius November 8, 2013 6:40 pm #

I think I’d do fine against infantry heavy Daemons, FMC heavy might be tough.

• anonymou5 November 8, 2013 8:51 pm #

Yeah it’s not like you would have to rush forward into a mass of Hounds and Daemonettes, you could just drive backwards and keep shooting. Still be a fun match to see.

I think my Circus would have issues actually, best case scenario I’m killing a combat squad per turn per Prince, that’s not going to be enough. I’d probably just go sit Princes vicinity every objective and try to win via secondaries.

Reecius November 8, 2013 9:11 pm #

Yeah, that is an interesting match. Little Daemons I can tank shock into formation and Flamer and Bolter them to death. Big Nasties, the Stalker needs to pull his wait and blast them, stay in Rhinos and play to objectives. If I can get them on the ground, Bolter them down. That’s a tough match.

7. anonymou5 November 9, 2013 10:08 am #

Oh, I forgot to mention this before. You can make an awesome Chooser of the Slain out of a Razorwing Flock.

Reecius November 9, 2013 10:21 am #

Nice! I was actually going to make a Thunder Squirrel!

8. The Voice November 9, 2013 12:25 pm #

Why raven rather that scar out of interest?

Reecius November 9, 2013 12:32 pm #

I don’t like Khan, and in order to always get your Scout moves you need an infiltrating unit of your own and the Chooser. So, I thought I’d try Shrike and an Assault Squad to fill that role and so far I am liking it a lot.

9. The Voice November 9, 2013 5:31 pm #

servo skulls still happen though, im learning that one playing the tac scars alot 🙂

Reecius November 9, 2013 6:30 pm #

Don’t forget, Servo Skulls stop friendly infiltrators and Scouts, too as allies of convenience count as enemy models. That’s why I don’t use them.

• dr.insanotron November 9, 2013 10:44 pm #

Yes but they shut down armies that need scout to work

10. The Voice November 10, 2013 1:23 am #

yea thats what i mean, i seem to be bumping into alot more servo skulls atm and theres no getting round that. Personally, while the scout is awsome, its the hit and run that im finding is frustrating more people

Reecius November 10, 2013 8:56 am #

Hit and Run is certainly better, no doubt. That is an incredibly useful USR.

11. Marius Xerxes March 18, 2014 10:04 am #

New to the site, and really enjoying it so far. Tons of tactics and lists helping me get back into 40k. So sorry if this is a bit of a Necro.

I was looking into the Raven Guard army and based on what the video said the army contained, it seems to be 5 points over (1855). That is, of course, unless army builder is off somewhere in the list.

I did my best to double check on my own as well and can’t seem to find an AB mistake in point calculation. My guess is that one of the units listed with Melta Bombs actually shouldn’t be?

Reecius March 18, 2014 1:01 pm #

I may have made an error on my list. If so, oh well, it happens sometimes. I may have had a melta bomb where one should not have been or maybe I wrote the list down wrong in the notes.

But glad you like the site!

• Marius Xerxes March 18, 2014 3:11 pm #

Oh for sure. Totally happens sometimes. I have a mech Raven Guard army I used in 5th (when chapter paint scheme didn’t mean much) and was glad to see a really fun way to continue to play it even with the changes to vehicle survivability in 6th.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something when I was working out the points was all. Thanks for the reply!

Reecius March 18, 2014 5:02 pm #

Anytime! And yeah, raven guard are still viable, they just have limited options, unfortunately. I was thinking about running rhino rush with 20 to 30 jumpers, too. I think that list is totally viable.

• Marius Xerxes March 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Staying as RG or trying it with BA maybe?

Im guessing the Scout move is too good to give up. But you can get blanket FnP to help some with Hellturkey spam/massed small arms fire on those Assault Squads. And they Score.

Take 2-3 BA Jump Squads then the rest in Tacs. Fill out the rest of your rhino rush with almost naked Devestators in rhino’s. Can use the Devs to throw at the opponent with the Assault squads to at least contest whatever is left after the Assault squads (likely) get whittled down. Then use the tac’s to grab up outside objectives.

Might sound cooler then how most games would play out though.