signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

10-22-13

News

•  Las Vegas Open! Get those tickets! Also, head over to the forums and let your voice be heard on any changes we make to the 2014 BAO Tournament format. At the end of each season we look at making any changes to our format so if it matters to you, jump in there and speak up!
  • Sisters of Battle have come out and look great!
  • Tablewar’s Kickstarter is going well and looks like it till for sure fund. They’re close to 20K of their 15K goal, so check it out!
  • Reader Bjorn O sent us some pics of the new Raging Heroes “Toughest Girls in the Galaxy” miniatures and they look awesome! Seriously beautiful miniatures. They’re generic SciFi female models but they would be awesome for other games, too.

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

• Sentinels of Terra, Imperial Fists supplement:
    • The guys over at 40k radio have released some info on the relics for Imperial Fists.
  • Space Wolves Relic Battletank plastic kit
  • Rumors or an Ultramarines 1st company supplement that ties into a possible Tyranid release. That would be very cool if true and possibly give Terminator lovers a way to play Veterans as troops? We’ll see.

Rant Session

•  Robotech may have potential for more longevity than Reece gave it credit for.
  • MarkDwg on the Frontline Gaming forums set us straight on Bolt Action! He describes some of the game mechanics such as randomly generating missions for units based off of mission dice or a pinning mechanic where everytime you hit a unit it takes a -1 to leadership and to hit. Passing a leadership test removes one pin marker.

Tactics Corner

•  Frankie’s 2014 Dark Eldar tournament list.

Rules Lawyer

•  This comes to us via BilljoeRay on the forums: Does a character with Scouts that attaches to a unit with a dedicated transport, confer scouts on to that transport?
  • Condemnor Boltgun for Sisters of battle. When it hits a unit with a psyker, it does normal damage and causes Perils. Now in a unit with more than one psyker, does it cause Perils to every psyker or unit with brotherhood of psykers? Or just one? If just one, how do you determine which one?
    • We read it as one Perils allocated to the closest psyker.
  • Can Sisters of Battle ally with anyone as the BRB lists them as Sisters of Battle but they are now codex Adeptus Sororitas?
    • They ally as Sisters. By RAW, no, but this seems unreasonable to us.

List Review

Hi there fellas

Below is my Minotaur-themed SM list for 1750. I’ve tried to make it all-comes, but what do I know? Would you mind giving it a looks-see on the podcast?

HQ 1: Asterion Moloc

Fast 1: 5 Assault Marines

Upgrade: Flamer

Heavy 1: 5 Devastator Marines

Upgrades: 4 Lascannons

Heavy 2: Hunter

Heavy 3: Achilles Landraider

Moloc confers the Chapter Tactic of Preferred Enemy: Space Marine (all SM, not CSM). He’s in terminator armour, and has an AP 2 initiative 5 beat stick, and gives his squad grenades. He will accompany the Honor Guard and Techmarine in the Achilles Landraider. I haven’t quite decided on the weapons-loadout for the HG.

I figure that the Hunter will solve most if not all my Helldrake worries, but the 2 TL Multi-Meltas & the Lascannons from the Dev Squad will lend a hand.

29 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Humor.”

1. Pascal Roggen October 22, 2013 3:02 am #

I’m thinking the finecast BA’s and SW’s will be new sculpts :). fingers crossed, Those mini’s are mainly, if not all, from 2nd edition.
    The new BA special characters look soo good, it’s a shame that mephi isn’t as imposing as he could be, but then again his being tiny does have battle field perks:P

Reecius October 22, 2013 12:47 pm #

I would love to see new sculpts for those models. I doubt it, but hey!

2. dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 7:27 am #

Would you guys mind giving the page number that has the rule that says only sorcerers can take a perils for the warp

Reecius October 22, 2013 12:49 pm #

Pg. 67

You can only Perils as a psyker.

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 2:14 pm #

Incorrect

It says psykers suffer a perils from rolling double 1’s or double 6″ on a psychic test. It never says no one but a psyker can suffer a perils

Reecius October 22, 2013 2:22 pm #

Fair enough, but the implication is extremely strong. As only Psykers can take a Psychic check it stands to reason only they can Perils. Reading it overly literally creates absurd rules situations. I agree that by RAW you have a case but I feel that is is extremely weak as while not, it does not explicitly state only psykers can suffer perils, nothing says that any other type of model can, but does explicitly state that they can. Therefore the MUCH stronger argument is that only psykers take perils.

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 2:34 pm

If when the Tyranid book comes out they have a psychic power that causes target model to suffer a perils of the warp and never says anything about targeting a psyker then that model would take the wound as there is no rule that stops a nonpsyker from taking a perils

3. Hotsauceman1 October 22, 2013 9:05 am #

If the sisters boltgun does peril all psykers if it gets FAQed, promise you will use it on the seer council and make a Batrep.

4. 6thstreetAlan October 22, 2013 9:44 am #

First off how can I get the Raging Hero’s models they are awesome and I have wanted them since August. I missed out on the kick starter but it seems like the figs are not even for sale. Artwork is cool but the longer Raging heros takes to actually produce a models the more pissed I get and eventually I won’t even want them.

Second I think you are interrupting the Condemnor Boltgun incorrectly.

It states: “Any unit with the Psyker, BH Pskyer or Psychic Pilot special rule hit by this weapon suffers a perils of the warp.”

A unit of screamers is not a “Unit with the Psyker Special Rule” neither is a “Tactical Squad”. The Heralds and the Libby are units with that special rule but while they are attached to their units they become a part of that unit and cease to be a unit of their own.

It is fairly clear to me that you would need to shoot at a unit with one of those special rules to cause the perils which is a ton of things but you will not be able to snipe out psykers in units. nothing suggests that’s as a possibility.

If it said “Any unit containing at least one model with the Psyker special rule” or if it states that “any model in a unit with the Psyker Special rule”, then you would have a legitimate argument to conclude that the hidden IC Psyker would in fact be hit by the perils.

Could you help point me in the right direction where you guys concluded that these perils would in fact carry over to a psyker within a unit of non-psykers.

• 6thstreetAlan October 22, 2013 9:46 am #

Sorry for the poor grammar I know Reece hates that but at work in between meetings needed to quick type that.

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 10:16 am #

This is the same point I have been bringing up to people. Bbut they just seem to want to make up rules to allow them to snipe out a IC from a unit. There are other examples of weapons that do the same thing and all of them require you to actually hit a psyker.

I think it just a lot of wishful thinking and no one has provided actual rules that make it work that way.

Also it say the unit takes a perils of the warp ” a ” being singular nso it will not cause the seer Council to all perils sorry bit no.

Reecius October 22, 2013 12:55 pm #

Brotherhood of Psykers/Sorcerers describes how to handle a perils, only one of them takes it. However, as each Warlock is his own psyker, if it were FAQd to effect eachpsyker (and I do not think that is the right way to do it, personally) then yes, they would all get smoked.

Reecius October 22, 2013 12:49 pm #

I’ll let is slide…this time!

• Hotsauceman1 October 22, 2013 11:34 am #

Im still waiting on the hippo I can get him. He s adorblee

Reecius October 22, 2013 12:53 pm #

In your interpretation of the rule, the gun basically does nothing unless it hits a psyker on his/her own. By your argument, if a psyker joins a unit of non-psykers he cannot both still be a psyker and not a psyker. Meaning, you can’t say for the purpose of this gun that he gets to count not as a psyker when the unit is hit, but then count as a psyker when he uses his powers. He is a psyker within the unit and you could just as easily use the argument that he becomes a part of that unit for all rules purposes to now say that the unit now counts as a viable target.

The way I read it (and why the shit can’t they write less terrible rules?!?! haha) is that if a unit contains a psyker then it triggers the special effect, which can only apply to the psyker(s) in the unit.

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 2:24 pm #

Ever other weapon that works similar to this weapon does nothing unless it actually hits the psyker, not the squad he is with. So yes for 10pts I believe it has to hit the psyker him self or a unit of psykers just like all the other weapons that cause a perils of the warp.

Reecius October 22, 2013 2:40 pm #

See, I thought about that, too, and I think that the difference is intentional. For example, the GK version says psyker hit, this one says unit with a psyker. I blieve the difference is intentional, but that is just speculation. I could be wrong on that one.

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Incorrect

It does not say unit with a psyker.

Its says unit with the psyker special rule.

These are very very different things

Reecius October 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I would counter that a unit with a psyker does have the psyker special rule. I would think that was a given, what would your argument be against that?

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 3:19 pm

I believe they meant when you hit a MC psyker, BH of pysker unit or a model with the pysker USR it causes the effect. not when you hit some random joe blow that it causes a perils on the sorcerer standing 10 guys behind him

Reecius October 22, 2013 5:46 pm

I think that reading of the rule is definitely bringing more ancillary information into it than is actually on the page.

I think the only argument you have in your favor is if a psyker joins a unit of non-psykers, does that unit count as having the psyker special rule? If you say no, then I would say the psyker can’t cast any powers any longer as joining the unit makes him not have that rule.

If you say yes, then the question becomes: which unit can perils? To me, this can only be the psyker.

So, therefore, it becomes clear how it works although I grant the rule is written poorly.

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Let me ask you this then Reece

If im palying Chaos marine and I bring a unit of 10 Marine. then I decide to join Typhus to them.

Your saying that now because he joined them the unit has the psyker USR?

Then by that logic the unit now will also have the Feel No Pain USR as well because he joined them

You cant have one with out the other

And no one thinks he would transfer Feel No Pain to the unit so its funny that everyone thinks the Psyker USR would be

Reecius October 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Your argument is illogical. I wasn’t saying he makes them psykers, but that he doesn’t stop being a psyker because he joins them. That unit now contains a model with the psyker USR. That is a true statement. Therefore it triggers the condemnor effect.

Train of logic assuming you accept that only a psyker can perils (which to me is a given):

1.) Condemnor Boltgun hits a unit per usual, but if that unit has the Psyker rule….
            2.) Unit shoots Condemnor Boltgun at and hits a unit which contains a model with the Psyker rule.
            2.) Therefore, unit is his by gun and suffers Perils. As only the Psyker is able to suffer Perils, he does so.

For me it is quite clear, although I grant the rule is not clear.

The only part I have trouble with is is how to determine which psyker is hit with perils in a unit with more than one.

• Bigpig October 22, 2013 4:50 pm #

Thats how the condemn or bolt gun works in the grey knights codex isn’t it?

• dr.insanotron October 22, 2013 5:24 pm #

Yes it has to hit a psyker in the Grey Knight Codex

Reecius October 22, 2013 5:42 pm #

Yes, but this one is worded differently.

5. Paul Cornelius October 22, 2013 12:18 pm #

Thanks, fellas, for reviewing my Minotaurs list. You were one hundred percent right: I assumed that the Achilles Landraider was an assault vehicle. I still want to bring an Achilles though, and just stock it with scoring scouts & the techmarine, and drop Moloc in a pod with some assault marines maybe.

Would you say that Moloc is imperative to a Minotaurs list?

Reecius October 22, 2013 12:55 pm #

Moloc is a beast, and he grants the CTs, so I would say he is pretty important. Otherwise just use him as a CM and take generic CTs.