The French Overlord on White Scars Lists

Jeremy V. aka The French Overlord, brings us some ideas on White Scars builds!

Jaghatai Khan

Jaghatai Khan

List 1
Bonjour World! I want to start this blog on the right track and begin this journey with the celebration of the new White Scar Codex (*cough* Space Marine Codex *cough*) .  I will be posting multiple version of this Concept list at different point values as I prepare for various tournaments this fall and winter of 2013. I have owned a White Scar army since 3rd edition when the White Dwarf Adeptus Astartes Rules came out and now I get to relive my Childhood fantasy (Again!)
Enough lollygagging…
1750 White Scars / Space Wolf Concept 1 – For Rose City Rumble
Captain Kor’Sarro Khan on Moondrakkan
Stormseer Kublai (Rune Priest) on a Bike, Chooser of the Slain (Living Lightning / JAWS)
Stormseer Hataghai (Rune Priest) Chooser of the Slain (Murderous Hurricane / JAWS)
Command Squad on Bikes with Company Banner, Apothcary
8 SM Bikes with 2 Grav Guns – 1 Atk Bike with Multimelta
8 SM Bikes with 2 Grav Guns – 1 Atk Bike with Multimelta
8 SM Bikes with 2 Grav Guns – 1 Atk Bike with Multimelta
9 Grey Hunter Marines with Flamer – Drop Pods
Stalker
Stalker
Thunderfire Cannon
The Mechanic of the List is to maximize on the current Meta through usage of the Concussive Effect and JAWS to remove the big Nasty monsters more effectively. The Chooser of the Slain are merely a counter defensive tool to prevent infiltrator to stop the scouting forward. The Rune priest also provide a large swath of Psychic Protection against Jetseer and Daemon armies.
Good morning my gentle folks of the internet! Have you heard the dark word of Light and Dark working together for our great EMPRAH!
List 2
I wanted to take this time to share another list concept for the KHAN! I call it the White & Black (Or the Black & Tan if you consider the Scars are Mongolians). The premise is to take the speed and firepower of the White Scar and give them some lawnchair scoring units as well provide the already beat stick Chapter Master even more tools at his disposal using the BT Chapter Tactic. (Re-Roll to Hit and Rending in Challenges, Crusader, Adamantium Will) in combination of the Biker Command Squad with Khan’s Warlord Power and White Scar Tactics.
HQ
Kor’Sarro Khan on Moodrakkan (Warlord)
Black Templar Chapter Master on Bike, Artificer Armor, Teeth of Terra, Eternal Shield, Auspex
Command Squad on Bike with Apothcary with Stormshield and Meltabomb, Company Standard with Grav Gun and 3 More Grav Guns
Troops
3x 5men Space Marine Bike Squad with 2 Grav Guns
2x 4men Space Marine Bike Squad with 2 Meltaguns and 1 MultiMelta Attack Bike
1x 5men Space Marine Bike Squad with 2 Flamers
2x 5men Crusader Squads with Lascannon and Grav Gun
Heavy
2x Stalkers
The Command Squad + Khan + Chapter Master form a tough Deathstar but the only change I am considering is dropping the Eternal Shield for just a Regular Stormshield as it only provides Eternal Warrior on a T5 2+/3++ model which I feel only very few models have Str 10 or ID attacks. That would open up 40 points towards giving the Crusader squads some ablative wounds in the form of Neophytes or get closer to the Upgraded Banner for Hatred. The Teeth of Terra could be exchanged for a Thunderhammer also which is a likely trade off but I like the Teeth in case I have to charge big units with my 7men Command Squad which would enable the Chapter Master to have 4 Base Attacks, 1 for Charge, 1 Str4 Hammer of Wrath, +1d3 for Rampage at Str 6 AP3 and finally if I should him in a Challenge he would gain Re-Roll to hit and Rending. Khan is delegated to being the guy who gets do some more wounds. To be honest, I dont really think the Burning Blade is worth it with Hit & Run units that pack a lot of Ap 2 shooting in case you are asking why no Burning Blade. Also the USR are exchanged between the Chapter Master and the White Scar Command Squad which basically gives the Chapter Master Scout and gives the Command Squad Adamantium Will and Crusader (+1d3 inches in sweeping advances).
There is about 22 Bikes Scouting forward not counting the 5 man Flamer unit which I would typically outflank and 10 Crusader in the backfield giving me some additional fire support and lawnchair objectives for cheap. I still prefer the Stalker over the Hunter purely because they can cause 2 Grounding Test per model which I feel is more valuable in the meta.
I would think this list would do very well which is why I am taking it to DMB Brawl in 2 weekends.
FOR THE KHAN AND THE SKY FATHER!

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
27 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Skari
8 years ago

I like the use of the Black Templars as an allied detachment. I am a huge fan of the chapter master on a bike.

fleshterror77
fleshterror77
8 years ago

How does it make 2 grounding tests against the same monstrous creature? Even if it can target 2 separate units u shooting at the same model means fire is at the same time from tht model. Now 2 different flying creatures I can see that.

Gordy
Gordy
8 years ago

Allies makes for one good use of Raven Guard, too. Ally in an IC to give one of your units Scout. Particularly if you, say, want to use a Bike Master and don’t have the points for Khan as well.

bugsculptor
8 years ago

I don’t think you can take two chapter relics on one model – p159 says a model may swap one weapon for one relic… by my reading that means you can’t take teeth of terra AND the magic shield of not getting your butt kicked. It does not say one or more weapons for one or more chapter relics…

Looks like the shield is going to be the popular choice, so most chapter masters should be sporting thunder hammers so they can bounce incoming attacks and then lay the smack down.

It might be good to swap the BT for Iron Hands – then the bike master is harder to kill w/ FNP 6+ and IWND regenerating wounds. Backfield scoring tac squads are also slightly more resilient than regular marines with their FNP.

bugsculptor
Reply to  Reecius

I think it’s pretty clear. No more than one of each relic in an army. A model may swap one weapon for one relic.

I think if they’d intended to say a model could swap more than one weapon, it would have been easy to say that instead.

But yeah… it’s probably another one where they need to clear it up. Dammit GW.

MikhailLenin
Reply to  bugsculptor

To be honest the Teeth of Terra is a marginal situational upgrade to the Thunderhammer which would prevent this Rules debate if it becomes a recurring issue.

bugsculptor
8 years ago

Oh yeah… Adam @ TDA found some amusing chaos choices to play against the Grav meta.

Nurgle chaos spawn have no armour save… so can’t be wounded by grav and will be all over you like a rash with their 12″ movement. A lot of Daemons also don’t have armour… and they’re not exactly weak in the meta right now. Apart from the clunky meganobs, ork infantry are also going to be laughing at it.

I think grav is a useful tool, but there are quite a few units that can laugh in the face of it, so going too heavy on grav could just mean you’ll paper, scissors, stone your way out of a tournament pretty quickly.

Isaac
Isaac
Reply to  bugsculptor

That’s the beauty of bikes my friend. If the target doesn’t have a good armor save blast away with your twin linked bolters.

Gordy
Gordy
Reply to  bugsculptor

Grav weapons always wound on at least a 6+.

bugsculptor
Reply to  Gordy

Obviously I should read the rules… but that’s still not exactly great against the nurgle spawn. Bolters and grav just wound on sixes, whereas plasma would be wounding on 3s.

Plasma is still better against some units, so you trade being better against heavy infantry for being worse against a fairly broad category of high toughness low armour save units, some of which are dangerously fast.

Don’t get me wrong… grav is great against an all MC or all terminator meta, but that’s not exactly all the armies you face at the moment.

bugsculptor
Reply to  Reecius

Yeah – I think a mix of both makes for a stronger TAC list.

I’m not saying grav is bad per se, but I do think it would be hilarious to see a spoiler list of max nurgle spawn and jugger lords run into a grav heavy white scars army…

MikhailLenin
Reply to  Reecius

I played that Command Squad versus a similar unit combination. Didnt end well for the Spawn or the Lord, they really didnt like being locked into a single place and then getting Hit & Run agian and agian while the Lord tries to beat down on the Chapter Master and losing almost an entire spawn to just Hammer of Wrath hits everytime.

MikhailLenin
Reply to  bugsculptor

Grav is actually quite useful against Serpent Spam.

Versus Low Sv values like Daemons or Orcs, TL Bolters + Hit&Run Str 5HoW seems to be highly effective thus far.

Plasma tends to kill bikers which is no bueno in a low model count list imo.

Nova star
Nova star
8 years ago

Well how I read the rule is you can swap 1 weapon for 1 relic, and my character comes with
2 weapons, so that means I get the magic shield and the teeth of terra, and grave will wound things with no armor save on a 6 so it’s better to shoot the bikes bolters

Gordy
Gordy
Reply to  Nova star

The bike also gives you a third weapon that you can swap out, if you want.

desert_hack
desert_hack
8 years ago

How do you manage to get two rune priests into the allied detachment in the first list?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x