Warhammer 40K Video Bat Rep New Space Marines vs Chaos

tactics

Reecius busts out the new Imperial Fists Space Marines against Frankie’s tournament Chaos and Daemon rush list.

30 Responses to “Warhammer 40K Video Bat Rep New Space Marines vs Chaos”

1. anonymou5 September 11, 2013 6:57 pm #

Great batrep, want to see more Space Marines in action. I picked up the codex and I’m enjoying it, but I haven’t been able to actually play 40k in weeks; so I appreciate the barep more than usually

The walk out of reserves directly into the Bastion is my trick, you can send the royalty check when you get a chance

I’m not sure on this because all my 40k minus the new Marines codex is packed up, but I think when first blood happens via assault, you determine which was “first” by initiative step. Thus Abaddon would have died before the Dread regardless, but it’s possible I totally made that up

Frankie, the situation where your PBs could not take the objective until turn 6 is one of the many reasons I switched to Horrors for my “objective campers” They can run, shoot, and are actually almost as durable (although, to be fair, they often have to go to ground to survive)

Reecius September 11, 2013 7:59 pm #

Glad you liked it and yes, all royalties will be coming soon, haha!

Yeah, we chose to do which combat in which order, so, we felt that was proper, controlling player gets the advantage.

It was rough due to the dice, but hey, that’s the game.

• Salamanders4lyfe September 12, 2013 5:21 am #

Got any planned batreps using a beefy chapter master with honor guard?

Reecius September 12, 2013 6:28 am #

We sure do! Just trying to approach it systematically, we figured we’d start with something simple and work our way up!

• Salamanders4lyfe September 12, 2013 7:24 am

Sweet! My current plan is to use a CM with burning blade/eternal shield, 5 honor guard w/ 3 Power Mauls and 2 Power axes, put em in a drop pod heavy list with 10 sternguard (double heavy flamer) and assault squads (no jetpacks) with double flamers, should be a hefty alpha strike using sally chapter tactics.

Reecius September 12, 2013 10:10 am

That is some beefy, in your face assault power, right there!

2. steven morrow September 11, 2013 7:41 pm #

Do a batrep with chaos space marines using chaos space marines! lol

Reecius September 11, 2013 7:58 pm #

You ask for too much! haha

• steven morrow September 12, 2013 4:06 am #

ahh but it would be a great way to show why they cant hang.

Reecius September 12, 2013 6:30 am #

I am actually using some in my Night Lords with a character, I think that works fairly well. hahah, but honestly, that is not a bad idea, we can show them run on their own and how they have a 42% chance of breaking after a failed challenge. I don’t think people understand how frequently they get run down/run away.

• steven morrow September 12, 2013 6:48 am

Lol just dont try to make a bull rush full assauly army. use them as a shooting army hiding behind heldrake threat with spawn and the like running interference in the middle. At least give them a chance at doing something lol

Reecius September 12, 2013 10:11 am

Haha, I agree. I plan on using mine with a cheap support character to be my dedicated objective taking unit. I will set the bar for what I expect them to do, and hopefully, not be disappointed, haha!

3. Charles September 11, 2013 10:00 pm #

Ok reecius if them centurions where grav cannon/ amp the games outcome might be a lot different. IMHO. Check them out replay the game you will see…maybe.

Reecius September 12, 2013 6:29 am #

Yeah, I kind of chose to use the assault version on a wild hair, and this was just a bad match-up, weird model positioning and honestly, I think I used them poorly. I am not writing them off yet, I think they have potential.

• Adam
        Adam September 12, 2013 10:36 am #

Boo! I’d still rather take Mutilators!

Reecius September 12, 2013 11:21 am #

You would!

• Adam
            Adam September 13, 2013 11:43 am

Dude, it’s like a Centurion, but cheaper, can deep strike, causes fear, has a 5++ and can be buffed by Grimoire. Cry more Assault Centurions!

Reecius September 13, 2013 12:52 pm

And it runs away like a sissy la la!

• D-ManA September 12, 2013 9:34 am #

The grav cannon is good against most armies but against Frankie’s list they will only be wounding on 6s and with Abaddon being in a cultists unit they will be wounded on a 6 also. Even with re-roll to wounds they would have caused less wounds than what the assault centerions flamers did. Now the hurricane bolters on the Dev. centurions will rip them to shreds unless luck is on Frankie’s side again and Abaddon tanks those wounds.

Reecius September 12, 2013 10:08 am #

Yeah, Grav weapons suck nuts against Daemons, that is the worst target for them, unfortunately.

4. Tangentical September 11, 2013 10:33 pm #

Did warp storm do anything at all?

Reecius September 12, 2013 6:29 am #

The best thing it did was give Frankie a +1 on the invul save, which helped him a lot that turn.

5. Moridan September 12, 2013 5:37 am #

I would really love to see some of the Grav weapons in action. I have a campaign match in a week against a guy running a bunch of Grav bikers. 9-(

Great report guys, best in the business!

Reecius September 12, 2013 6:31 am #

Thanks! Glad you like them, and yes, Grav Weapons and bikes are on the menu!

• Adam
      Adam September 12, 2013 10:38 am #

Grav in this game would have been pitiful actually. Really, Grav is totally match up dependent. In tournaments I could see someone winning hard with grav spam, then they get put against orks or daemons and suddenly their guns are worse than bolters!

Reecius September 12, 2013 11:21 am #

Exactly.

• umbo September 12, 2013 3:10 pm #

another reason you take them on bikes, as you have the twin linked bolter as backup

• Adam
            Adam September 13, 2013 11:42 am

If you take 2 units of bikes with gravs and combi-gravs, then you’re spending 80 points on weapons that are nearly useless in some match ups. Having twin-linked bolters doesn’t negate the fact that you paid for grav weapons.

• steven morrow September 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Yeah geav weapons are good but maxing them out will cost in game especially tournament settings. but please do so hopefully you play the quad riptide list or massed wraithknights early and knock them out for the rest of us lol. A mix of specials especially plasma is much better tac

Reecius September 13, 2013 3:37 pm

I agree, too heavy on the Grav train and you get schooled by massed light infantry.