Warhammer 40K Video Battle Report: Eldar vs. Dark Angels 1750pts

Video Battle Report

Video Battle Report

Raw Dogger calls Reecius’ Eldar out as the challenges continue to try and end the Eldar winning streak! As always, for more tactics articles, check out the Tactics Corner!

26 Responses to “Warhammer 40K Video Battle Report: Eldar vs. Dark Angels 1750pts”

1. olddog July 17, 2013 8:06 pm #

Nice batrep. What kind of list would you field for a competitive Dark Angels army? I haven’t seen much on the internet about them.

• jadedknight July 17, 2013 11:08 pm #

As the challenger here states, Deathwing is overcosted and won’t compete well against armies like Tau and Eldar.

I think there are two routes for competitive DA:

1) Banner of Devastation Ravenwing
      2) Ravenwing Command Squad spam with dual ML2 Biker Libbies backed up with some ally who brings cost effective troops.

Both of these are somewhat alpha strike armies unfortunately. At the moment generic green marines with 3 heavy support choices due to across the board cost reductions aren’t bad but expect those to loose their luster after codex space marines.

I forget which pundit posted this, but there was the suggestion that every new codex army has effective troops and I was thinking except DA. Scouts are ok but you can’t build an army out of them.

Reecius July 18, 2013 10:29 am #

Dark Angels are actually really good, IMO. I love all of the cheap, effective units they have! Their only real shortcoming, IMO, is AA. Their fighter is a putz and they have no dedicated AA options. However, they can get around this with volume of fire and Prescience.

I agree though that the command squad Black Knights are the bomb.com, I have been using them in my DA list and absolutely love them. I think 2 units is a bit much due to their cost, but I can see it working.

And yeah, Deathwing, and most terminators in general, just don’t get it done. They have to be very cheap (Chaos) or ultra durable (Paladins) to be a reliable choice, IMO.

Reecius July 18, 2013 10:25 am #

Yeah I know, it’s weird, right? The internet says they suck but they’re actually very competitive, IMO. The only real weakness is their lack of AA but that can be overcome with brute force.

2. G-Man July 17, 2013 9:25 pm #

Great report – love that epic battle with the Farseer, should that one go into an Eldar or Dark Angels novel? Being just a beginner at all this I can’t say too much, but would Frankie say you went with fluff since you used the Spiritseer just because he was fun! 🙂 GV

Reecius July 18, 2013 10:24 am #

Haha, yeah, that was an epic battle for the ages!

But sometimes I stick a model in the list just because I enjoy it. The Spirit Seer is so much fun, i really love the buffing and debuffing powers he brings. He just isn’t good enough for a straight up competitive list though, IMO.

3. krisbot4000 July 17, 2013 9:34 pm #

whats that groovy tune at the beginning of the batrep(prior to filmed content)?
    also.. have you tried running wraithblades or wraithguard yet? havnt seen you say much about them.

• Jeremy Veysseire
      MikhailLenin July 18, 2013 7:35 am #

Thats the Tron Soundtrack.

Reecius July 18, 2013 10:27 am #

Haha, that intro music is for making babies! So funny, I just like the fact that it totally doesn’t fit with the grim dark setting.

And yes, but not in videos. I think they are too expensive to run in a truly competitive list. A full blown deathstar is pretty good with them, but I prefer to have loads of units to a few beefy units.

4. jadedknight July 17, 2013 11:01 pm #

Not a competitive DA list but fun to watch

5. Clover362 July 18, 2013 7:02 am #

Land raider spam with the banner with Dakka banner is a competative list. It has some hard counters but it hard counters a lot of the meta.

Reecius July 18, 2013 10:30 am #

Yeah, I agree with you there. A lot of armies can’t deal with AV14 spam.

6. TableTopJosh July 18, 2013 9:16 am #

I really like how much fun you guys have during your bat reports, it makes it enjoyable to watch. One question, what did you mean by the barons 2+ invulnerable save?

Reecius July 18, 2013 10:31 am #

We always screw around when we play which is what makes it more fun! We are playing with toy soldiers after all =)

The Baron has a 2++ from his Shadow Field. He is an awesome value for the points.

7. Tarrant July 18, 2013 9:36 am #

Great Batrep!

8. steven morrow July 18, 2013 3:10 pm #

what about the new firestorm redoubt fo dark angels pricey but alot of interceptor/skyfire lascannon shots plus a bunker to boot. Drop belial deathwing squad and aegis line. Put in another libby biker, Leaves you points for maybe another pair of typhoons or tac squad razorback combo and redoubt. Might miss the 4+ cover for your vehicles and 3+ for scouts though. I personally would take more boots on the ground and hope your weight of fire can take care of fliers

Reecius July 18, 2013 6:38 pm #

Isn’t that thing BS2, though?

• steven morrow July 18, 2013 6:50 pm #

Yes. 4 twinlinked shots

Reecius July 18, 2013 6:53 pm #

Twin linked BS2 gives a 5/9 chance of hitting, so, with 4 shots yo should average 2.22 hits. Not bad, actually. Against most flyers that is a pretty reasonable chance of success.

yeah, you may be on to something that that one for sure. It is definitely worth trying at the very least.

• steven morrow July 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Most of the newer armies aren’t really caring about aegis lines. And since the quad Icarus guns are built in emplaced weapon they cant be picked off apart from destroying the av14 bunker I believe. I’m pretty certain he can add a tac squad in razorback and double typhoons for the cost of belial and termies and upgrade to redoubt.

Reecius July 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Very good points. Yeah, so many things ignore cover now that the Aegis has certainly begun to pail a bit.

I will let Raw Dogger know your suggestions.

9. steven morrow July 18, 2013 3:14 pm #

I personally dont do well with marines at all as I suck rolling armor saves. Better for me to just take cheaper units with crap saves.

10. Cruzcontrol39 July 18, 2013 7:37 pm #

I take a green wing with loads of 5 man tacs w/ plasma cannons, Azreal with a huge IG blob squad, 2 vendettas, and power fields, and of course standard of dev… I usually do pretty good with them… I lost to GK and beaten or tied most of my games…

Reecius July 18, 2013 7:53 pm #

Sounds like a solid list! I have been wanting to try Azrael with a 50man blob or 10 Ogryn!

11. Myangel February 18, 2016 12:36 pm #

Since ye olden day, long before ye yoiugnns came onto my lawn, Games Workshp’s plastic crack addicts have always wanted to play everything they own. Apocalypse started out as a way to do that. Formations grew up out of that original idea, as a way of speeding up play (you can have 5 tanks, but they run as a unit now).Unfortunately you can count on GW to use EVERY opportunity to reach into the player base’s pockets.As for the MMO, hope this one MMO goes better than the Fantasy one, or the 40k one that THQ had