Why I take Hellions in my Eldar List

Hey everyone, Reecius here from Frontline Gaming to answer a question I have been getting a LOT lately.

You may have seen some of our video battle reports on our YouTube channel and noticed that a lot of us at Frontline have been running my Eldar with Dark Eldar allies, with a unit of 14 Hellions and the Baron in just about every list.

Or you haven’t noticed that because you don’t watch the videos, but the title piqued your interest.

Either way, I have been getting a lot of emails, calls, texts, etc. asking why we run the unit. So, I figured I would write a article about it as it seems like a topic people are curious about.

It’s hard to discuss a single unit in a vacuum as the context of the list it is in can alter a unit’s utility dramatically. For example, a unit of Dires on foot in a Mech list is very out of place but in a Footdar army functions extremely well. So, why do I run Eldar/Dark Eldar in general? Taudar is the hotness everyone is talking about these days and for good reason, it is a damn good combination. Maybe the most powerful in the game right now. However, I like to keep it Elfy, and I think the Deldar alliance is just a fantastic combination. The compliment one another very, very well.

My Eldar army is my favorite to play, hands down. It has been since I first painted it up way back when. I love the way Eldar units work in concert with one another. Over the years, I have fine tuned it to a very precise tool. A lot of folks think the list looks weak at first glance, but that is just another advantage, IMO. Every unit in it is chosen for a very specific reason and each unit performs a crucial role. Here’s the list I have been having a ton of fun playing:

Eldar 1750pts
War Walkers S.Laser x 6 3 210
Ravager Disintegrators, Night Shields, Flicker Fields 1 125
Wraithknight 1 240
Night Spinner 1 115
Fortifications
Totals 56 1725
You will notice I still have 25 points to spare as I swap things around in my list and try out different wargear choices.
So, a hybrid foot/mech list. So far I am 14-1-1 with the list against a wide variety of armies all played by tournament players. I don’t say that to brag at all, I know how stupid it sounds when people try to toot their horns that way, I only state it to show that this is a list that has been run through the paces and is not just pure theory. The one tie was to Triple Heldrake Chaos, which I got lucky and two didn’t come on until turn 4. The loss was to a gun line Tau army that seized on me. I got shellacked fairly thoroughly in that game and only had 4 models left by game’s end! Ouch!
At any rate, no you all can see what is in the list to help illustrate why I take Hellions. Hellions fill in several gaps in my list.
  1. They are a fast scoring unit. You can never have too many scoring units in a 6th ed list.
  2. Provides a great unit for my Farseer to ride around with.
  3. They are fairly resilient. Stealth and rerolling dangerous terrain tests from the Baron means the unit should almost always be in cover. Plus, with the Jetseer and the Baron (2++ save) you can tank wounds well, particularly in combat. If you are lucky enough to get Fortune and/or Forewarning, this unit can become extremely durable. Plus, the large squad size means they can soak some damage and keep on going.
  4. Poison weapons. These are such a utility in 6th ed. There are so many high toughness units in the game now due to great stats (Wraithknight) or buffs (Iron Arm) that you really need a tool to handle these units. Massed poison shots with 18″ range on a unit as mobile as Hellions means you shoot a toughness based model and it will mostly likely die. Prescience/Doom/Guide makes this unit even more incredibly potent in shooting.
  5. Assault. The unit assaults really well. With Combat Drugs, Power from Pain, Prescience (which works in assault) Imitative 6 and a boat load of attacks, this unit really holds it own in a fight. It is great for hunting non-dedicated assault units, too. Marines, Cultists, Firewarriors, etc. get mulched by this unit with ease. The Baron is great in a challenge too, to take a key enemy character out of play with his 2++. The unit also smashes vehicles quite well too, through volume of attacks and the Baron’s high strength on the charge. Plus, they have fleet! Very reliable on the charge. With Hit and Run, and the Baron letting you reroll that if you fail, and reroll the distance, these guys are slippery as hell.
  6. +1 to go first. Yeah, the Baron is stud.
  7. Free Safety. I love units that serve this function, and it is one of the reasons I love the Wraithknight. With their speed and multi-threat status, this unit can get where you need it when you need it and either press an attack or shore up your defenses.
  8. Sweet ass models. I love the models, not going to lie, and was happy to add them to my list.
So there you have it. The unit brings a lot to my list and so far has performed extremely well for me. Tau is the only army that ever kills them all (stupid Marker Lights!) but they are still super useful in that match-up as a high threat unit and troop/suit killer.
Lastly, if you worry about losing them to morale, stick the Shard of Anaris on the Jetseer and profit.
Hellions: they’re what’s for dinner!

25 Responses to “Why I take Hellions in my Eldar List”

1. fluger July 11, 2013 7:44 am

Yup, all very valid reasons to run them. I really love that Eldar/DE list you have. You should also talk about the disintegrator-ravager. I see lots of people not get why that thing is so nasty. It is SO nasty.

Reecius July 11, 2013 8:29 am

Good point, I will write a follow up article. Yeah, every single game that Ravager just brings the pain. I love it and seriously will not switch it out for anything.

• fluger July 11, 2013 12:26 pm

It is stupid good with guide/prescience. Does 5 AP2 wounds to T4 units in one round. Very few things do that kind of damage and at that range for that price with that mobility. Should do 3 wounds to T6 MCs as well. That’s just solid.

Reecius July 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Exactly, and if you get Doom, too? Good night.

2. Gangrel767 July 11, 2013 8:41 am

I’ve been thinking about hellions for a long time. I think that I’d convert a farseer to ride on the green goblin wings too. Counts as Jetbike. I just think it’d look awesome.

Reecius July 11, 2013 8:55 am

That would be sweet!

3. olddog July 11, 2013 9:01 am

So why the night spinner over some of the more common grav tanks like wave serpents/fire prisms?

Reecius July 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Barrage and a torrent template. Ignoring or getting around cover (Aegis) is really important in 6th. Plus, barrage sniping is one of the best ways to take key models out of a unit. Also, it is dirt cheap and can bust out some good old tank shocks if needs be.

4. Tarrant July 11, 2013 12:19 pm

My wallet called…said I have to quit reading your articles due to spending increases…

Yeah, right….like when do I listen to my wallet…. 😀

Nice article. Tempted to get a few boxes of them to try out (and try out customize one for the Baron).

T.

Reecius July 11, 2013 12:48 pm

That is why I use 14! haha, 3 boxes gives you everything and the points add up to balance out the 51pt jetbikes.

5. Vidar July 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Cause I wrote the Standard in unit evaluations on them, thats why.

Reecius July 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Haha, indeed you did, sir! You had uncommon vision.

6. Aycee71 July 11, 2013 4:46 pm

As a long time Eldar player and someone who has followed the fluff for a long time I refuse to take any of the Dark Brethren. They should be Allies of Desperation at best. Making Eldar and Dark Eldar Battle Brothers is like making Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines Battle Brothers. Hey…they are both Space Marines, right?

Reecius July 11, 2013 8:46 pm

I run mine as Corsairs. But I understand where you are coming from, though.

• Tangentical July 11, 2013 10:37 pm

The way I see it the Craftworld Eldar wouldn’t go looking for the help but the Dark Eldar like to swoop in and save the Craftworlders so they can continue laughing at their moping around.

The fluff does actually have DE helping out against Tyranids and allying with Iyanden out of curiosity about their toying with ‘necromancy’.

7. Joseph July 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Have you faced Tau with them? My big fear is that a Pathfinder squad will light them up with markerlights and then the rest of the army will finish them off using Scour. Although I would revel in any time I pulled a Fireblade or Ethereal out of it’s unit to hack to pieces inches away from his comrades.

Reecius July 11, 2013 8:48 pm

I have run them against Tau a few times, now. They seized on me and I got smoked, they didn’t seize on me and I tabled them. So, need a few more games to test it out fully, but I feel confident against Tau.

8. Tangentical July 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Yup Hellions are sweet and awesome models and the Baron is a stealthy badass, I pimped my Hellions out even more with some cloak action…

• Tarrant July 12, 2013 6:58 am

Nice conversion work, Tangentical!

T.

Reecius July 12, 2013 8:50 am

Nice one! Where’d you get the cloaks?

• Tangentical July 12, 2013 2:44 pm

They’re wood elf glade guard cloaks, the cavalry ones mainly. If you ever want to see my other DE stuff just google Kabal of the Burnished Sapphire. I’m currently working on an (unconverted) FW Avatar, man this is one sexy mini!

Cheers

Reecius July 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes, the FW Avatar is boss! I have the one with the spear and I love that model.

Your army looks great! Very nicely done.

9. CKO July 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Why did you stop using the harlequins?

Reecius July 15, 2013 8:51 am

Having to roll for their psychic power really hurt them. If you fail that critical roll on a turn where they are exposed, they’re dead. First time I used them, I got a perils result, killing the shadowseer and not getting veil off. Too many points to risk for the squad the way I was using them.

10. Trokair February 17, 2014 12:42 am

I was wondering what your plan is psychic power wise, I guess you want guide and prescience. But are you rolling 2 times on divination hoping for foreboding, forewarning, misfortune and perfect timing. Or do you roll 2 times on the runes table hoping for fortune or doom?