Video Battle Report: Dark Angels vs. Chaos and Daemons

Video Battle Report

Video Battle Report

Reece tries out a new mechanized Dark Angels list he has been working on that uses Black Knights and a Librarian as key elements. Frankie tries out a new Chaos/Daemon list that emphasizes speed and overwhelming threats.

26 Responses to “Video Battle Report: Dark Angels vs. Chaos and Daemons”

1. Gary Percival June 23, 2013 6:19 am #

Nice bat rep. Its a shame though that the only way to get Dark Angels up to speed is with forge world rules however.

Reecius June 23, 2013 10:02 am #

I think you can do it without Forge World, I just really like the FW units.

2. Grizzly Adams June 23, 2013 6:32 am #

Great batrep guys, as always. On a somewhat related note, can y’all post up some good pics of the hell turkeys Frankie uses in y’all’s battle reports? They look awesome, and would love to see some pics of em. Keep up the good work!

Reecius June 23, 2013 10:02 am #

Yeah we can do that, he and Keno and Kelso all painted them together and they came out really well.

3. jy2
    jy2 June 23, 2013 7:01 am #

It’s coming, Reece…..

My BBB (Burn Baby Burn!) BBQ Chaos list.

Coming to a store near you. 😉

4. steven morrow June 23, 2013 7:14 am #

Nice to see dark angels getting play beyond deathwing/ravenwing only armies. Not impressed with the wing builds but add in all the other stuff they can take and i feel they are much stronger.

Reecius June 23, 2013 10:03 am #

I think they are actually quite good, personally. And I agree, Deathwing or Ravenwing only is not going to get it done. If you mix in a lot of the elements, they are quite strong, IMO.

5. steven morrow June 23, 2013 7:26 am #

That and i love the chaos speed combos. i would definitely add the spawn with fast Lord for the punch. the Lord can clean up tarpit walkers on the dogs.

6. Jadedknight June 23, 2013 3:05 pm #

Been having great luck with two RCS each with a biker Libby or a biker techmarine. The displaced field is a great buy, it makes every divination power great (except gaze). Precognition with a 3++ makes that squad really tough.

Reecius June 23, 2013 6:54 pm #

Yeah, I was thinking that or the power field generator to give the entire unit a 4++! The auspex too, would really go a long way.

• jadedknight June 23, 2013 10:37 pm #

The reason I decided against the powerfield is the squad already has 4+ versus most shooting, and anything you need a 4++ in close combat against you really don’t want to assault. Plus it confers to your enemy too. Besides usually close combat is about mopup after all that plasma. Still I think this is a choice reasonable people can easily disagree on.

The auspex is such a great idea in principle and yet I usually find myself purchasing melta bombs when I have a spare 5 points.

Reecius June 24, 2013 9:25 am #

How does the squad usually have a 4+? Are you referring to turbo boost? And for me, it helps counter the flocks of Turkies I always play against.

• winterman June 24, 2013 2:53 pm

5+ jink plus skilled rider? I know black knights get skilled rider, assume the command squad does as well.

Reecius June 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Ah yes, Skilled Rider, that must be what he was referring to. I still like the 4++ though due to all the Turkeys we have around here! haha.

7. fleetofclaw June 24, 2013 12:33 pm #

I’m a big fan of the Ravenwing command squad as well! A buddy of mine has been using it to very solid effect with the librarian running around with them.

Reecius June 24, 2013 1:39 pm #

Yeah I am really stoked on those bad boys! Such a fun unit, you just have to be careful with it.

8. Adam
    Adam June 24, 2013 2:44 pm #

Great battlereport, though one small thing… Siege dreads don’t get Drop Pods!!! It’s horrible, they’d be so much better with them, but them’s the breaks. You can however put them in a Lucius for a few more points.

I love my Maulerfiends, and have been changing my army to be a lot faster (orks in trukks, go!), but I’ve found that the Lasher Tendrils tend to help more than the Magma Cutters, especially once you face enemy monstrous creatures who will probably only have 1 attacks when they smash.

Reecius June 24, 2013 4:40 pm #

Yeah, I saw that now. Also, Contemptors are heavy not Elites, doh! The Lucius is the better choice, anyway though, honestly.

We go back an forth on the lasher vs. magma. They both have their uses but I lean towards the cutters as they help you to destroy what you go after: vehicles and infantry that can’t fight back so well.

• Adam
        Adam June 25, 2013 10:43 am #

Geez Reece, just cheating left and right! 😛

Reecius June 25, 2013 12:28 pm #

If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying! hahaha

9. winterman June 24, 2013 2:50 pm #

Really enjoyed this batrep, neither list is an ‘expected’ build and there was a lot of back and forth that I am sure made for a fun game. The ‘new’ RW command squad makes me consider taking DA for the base of a TAC list, they seem so good. Sans forgeworld though I guess you’d need IG allies.

Also a thought about the match, couldn’t the khorne dogs and herald voluntarily left combat with the dread since they aren’t fearless? Not real sure (heralds aren’t fearless, correct? and daemonic instability should still allow our weapons or useless to trigger?) — just a thought. I know it hadn’t occured to me until after watching the batrep since I am so used to ye olde dread vs khorne tie-up.

Reecius June 24, 2013 4:45 pm #

We asked that question, too. However, Daemons can never voluntarily fail a morale check. They are essentially fearless in combat except they can lose (or gain) models if they lose due to instability.

But yeah, those Black Knights are so good. Really a great unit for their incredible flexibility. They shoot well, assault well, are ultra mobile, have deployment options, etc. They have a laundry list of special rules. SO long as you play them conservatively, I think they will be an all-star unit.

10. Felix June 27, 2013 1:00 am #

What is that gaming mat you are using? Looks really nice

Reecius June 27, 2013 11:45 am #

They are super nice, but they aren’t made anymore, unfortunately. They were made by Sabol.

• Felix June 27, 2013 2:06 pm #