40K Singles Army Representation at the BAO

Check out the numbers! Chaos was out in force, followed by IG.

40K Top 15

Chaos Space Marines
Tyranids
Imperial Guard
Dark Angels
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels/ Blood Angels

Interesting break down! I am quite pleased with that distribution of armies! What do you all think this says about the meta?

Here is a graph and breakdown of the top 15. That should read Tyranids x 2. Way more diversity here than we were seeing in 5th, as with Adepticon Finals last year we had 8 of the top 16 as Grey Knights!

39 Responses to “40K Singles Army Representation at the BAO”

1. Noah March 7, 2013 6:34 pm

That Orks are dead lol.

Reecius March 7, 2013 6:38 pm

Haha, i hope not! I think Hellturkies really kick the crap out of Orks, and Chaos was out in force this event.

2. Dok March 7, 2013 6:38 pm

I can’t see the docs for some reason. tells me I need permission when I click on them.

Reecius March 7, 2013 6:40 pm

Hmm, OK, I will make them public, that might be the problem.

3. Jason.Hickle March 7, 2013 6:46 pm

Go IG! BAO was a blast and next year will be even better.

Reecius March 7, 2013 6:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Mr. Best IG!

4. edwin March 7, 2013 6:46 pm

I am suprised by the large amount of sisters of battle (greater than 0)

Reecius March 7, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah, they were really popular this year!

5. Noah March 7, 2013 6:53 pm

Funny enough though I didn’t go against any in the singles. IG is always good so there was really no surprise there. I think the FAQ to the heldrakes is what made them so hot to take thats why there were a bunch of Chaos armies. Daemons were still a powerhouse though I thought there were going to be more.

Reecius March 8, 2013 11:15 am

You’re luck you didn’t have to face the dread Hell Turkey! Stupid thing is insanely powerful.

6. Shinkaze March 7, 2013 7:37 pm

What if allies were counted as .5 and the ally combinations aren’t in the chart. They are hard to process. Could be a separate chart for just things that were a primary or secondary detachment.

• Shinkaze March 7, 2013 7:38 pm

The top 15 is very encouraging.

Reecius March 8, 2013 11:16 am

I agree, that is a relatively awesome, even spread of armies. A lot of diversity, which is awesome.

Reecius March 8, 2013 10:59 am

That’s a good idea, that will help to make the data more manageable. I can whip up a graph that does that no problem.

7. Sid March 8, 2013 8:18 am

Dark Eldar/Eldar in the Top 15? Did he run Harliestar? I wouldnt expect that… Had to have some favorable matchups to get that far because I cant see them getting past Daemons, Chaos, or IG.

Reecius March 8, 2013 10:58 am

He had 2 Flyers and a lot of Venoms. Very good player! He did indeed get stopped by the Daemon player that won the event.

8. SCP Yeeman March 8, 2013 11:32 am

I brought this:

Baron
    Wyches, Haywires, Venom
    Warriors, Shrdder, Venom
    Warriors, Blaster, Venom
    Warriors, Cannon, Raider, Racks
    Beasts, x5 Khymera, x1 Fiend, x6 Flock
    Voidraven
    Voidraven
    Ravager
    Farseer, Bike, Doom, Eldritch Storm
    Guardians, Laser Platform
    Night Spinner

I played Lyzz- Won the event (Daemons)
    Andrew Davis- Finished 5th (Daemons)
    Matt Bess- Finished 8th (Space Wolves)
    Mike Bass- Finished 15th (Chaos)
    Douglas Johnson- Finished 24th (IG/SW)
    Mike Entropo- Finished 48th (Eldar- Best Eldar last year)
    Levi Joos- Finish 91st (Nids- was 3-0 when I played him)

Sorry to disappoint but I actually got passed all three of the armies you named but got beaten my the overall winner. I think I’ll the results and my one loss. Although to some my “gimmicky” Beast Squad might be the reason for finishing so high, which is laughable.

• sid March 8, 2013 6:08 pm

I’m not very impressed with that list. Luck must have been on your side, because i cannot see someone losing really if they have a decent Daemon or SW list. I saw the list on your blog, that Space Wolf player must have rolled or played pretty badly. Reading the first battle report, I see the luck I talked about must have shown on you as those Helldrakes could have decimated the Beasts and your army with little response from anything you have.

The Beast Squad is really a gimmick. It hits hard, no doubt. But it can easily be stopped or tied up with a multitude of units. I think it catches people off guard because not a lot of people run it or have seen it in action. The Space Wolf player you played showed how easily it is to destroy it. One Wolf Lord and thats about it.

Its kind of hard to argue with results, but there are better lists out there that could produce better results.

• SCP Yeeman March 9, 2013 9:34 am

Well i guess i am glad that I didn’t ceck with you about my list before I brought it. there is alot more to 40k than lists. List building is important, but the general behind the list is what makes it work. I’m sorry if your in the Harliestar or Venom Spam camp. I personally do not think those lists are good nor fun to play for me or my opponent. Each of thosel ists has very hard counters. My this is a very Take All Comers list.

I did have some good luck the first game bewtween me shooting and my opponent not rolling well. My second opponent is actually a very good player and played very well, he just lost. I played 1 very good SW list, and 2 very good Daemon lists. Going 2-1 in those matchups and only losing to the overall winner.

I would like to hear the “multitude of units” that can successfully tie the Beasts up. And, how are you going to stop Hit and Run from the Baron from occuring? Fail on a 6 and I can reroll it? Good luck. Gimmick? Hardly. I have played many games where I have lost them first turn or had them swept in combat. It happens, but I have enough pieces in place to pick up where the Beasts left off. The Wolf Lord got lucky in killing what he did in our game, but Matt always tends to butcher anythign and everythign with that one model, hes a frickin beast.

As far as better lists, again, lists dont make players good. Too many times I have seen a Net list and a player who assumes they will win because of their list. Too many times people believe that because they have X they can beat Y. That simply is not the case and I am sure many people on here or anywhere will attest to that.

I will stop clogging up this blog and website with this conversation. If you have questions, email me. Your sideways remarks and underhanded ways of trying to say i won because of luck or playign bad players is not only just plain wrong but idiotic and does a disservice to me and the opponents I played. Armchair General somewhere else and think Net lists are the shiz elsewhere. believe I play bad, players and think I am no good and DE is a joke codex. My results speak for themselves, and my opponents ‘ records and standings do as well.

I apologize to Reece and Frontline Gaming for having to respond to this drivel. I dont appreciate people trying to underhand my accomplishments or those of other players or the BAO itself.

Email me though: jiru1037@ravens.benedictine.edu Especially if you want some insight on how to play DE without using DE or Harliestar.

9. Defeatmyarmy March 8, 2013 11:36 am

I knew there was a lot of chaos but damn! Hopefully the rest of the armies receive updated rule books for 6th. They have already released 3 since 6th (4 including necrons but i consider it the final book of 5th.)I’m keeping my fingers crossed that gw releases a new book for all the armies for the BAO. Probably won’t happen, but if they release even 1/2 of the new codexes I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

10. Brian March 8, 2013 11:38 am

Little dissapointed to see no Codex SM in the top 15, Hope that means we aint got what it takes no more

• Brian March 8, 2013 11:51 am

I hate typing .. I hope that dont mean we aint got what it takes in 6th

Reecius March 8, 2013 12:57 pm

Not at all, Marines are rock solid, there just weren’t any in the top 10%, that in and of itself isn’t damning, there are so many other factors to consider.

• Defeatmyarmy March 8, 2013 2:58 pm

I agree with reece, many things can cost someone the game, especially with luck on charging. My main issue this tournament was nothing but failure with dice rolling. I failed more than half of my charges, every individual save I had to make basically whiffed, I missed over 75% of my to hit rolls…..my luck was horrible. I felt I outmaneuvered at least 2 of the games I lost but I just laughed it off and drank more lol.

11. Douglas March 8, 2013 3:37 pm

I ran a Beast squad also and was the next highest DE at 21st. lolz

12. Douglas March 8, 2013 3:55 pm

Im not even sure there was a Harliestar there. Maybe 1 hiding.

13. Jason
    Raw Dogger March 8, 2013 4:02 pm

I think, like everyone else, that the ridiculous power of hell turkeys helped keep CSM as the majority army. The IG players with sabre platforms were a good deterrent to these lists, as you can see they were the second most played army. Overall, a pretty nice spread of armies and a great group of people playing them. I’m glad I was able to help out for the team tournament and the Saturday meltdown. I only wish there were rage awards. Punch a hole in the wall? 10 points. Throw your models? 15 points. And so on.

14. Jason
    Raw Dogger March 8, 2013 4:03 pm

Also, I would be interested to see how many of the CSM lists had actual Chaos Space Marines in them and not the standard 2/3 Hell Turkeys with maxed cultists.

Reecius March 9, 2013 9:22 am

I would be curious to see this, too. Compiling all of that data would be a headache, though.

15. Noah March 8, 2013 4:50 pm

I know of one for sure who ran a Noise Marine army with no hell turkeys.

16. jy2
    jy2 March 8, 2013 5:57 pm

Why are all the necron players so afraid in this tourney? I can’t believe not a single necron player made it to the top 15!

As for grey knights, I’m not surprised they didn’t make it up there. After all, 3 of them had to go through my bugs. Hahahaha. 😉

Reecius March 9, 2013 9:21 am

hahaha! Yeah, i was shocked about the Cron numbers, too. A lot of armies with flyers were in the top 15, so I don’t buy the FW scared them off argument, either.

• Jason.Hickle March 9, 2013 12:12 pm

I brought an Avenger and a Vulture with my IG. The terrain (and hover mode on Vulture) allowed me to avoid/mitigate return fire on matchups that had a lot of interceptor fire. I faced a DA army with two Kheres AC Contemptors and an IG army with Icarus and 3 Hyperious Platforms. I am pretty sure the others using flyers in the top 15 used the same thing to keep their flyers effective. I think a large number of IG players brought the Vulture including Paul who was #3 (Vulture, Vend, and ‘Drake).

17. Chaos666 March 8, 2013 8:59 pm

I ran two squads of plague marines, two squads of zombies, two squads of autocannon havocs, oblits, typhus with terminators. Oh ya and two hell turkeys as they have been so lovingly named. I finished fifteenth! BAO was tons of fun and probably the most fun I’ve had playing seven games EVER, thanks to all my opponents as they were super cool. Will definitely be attending next year for more MURDER!!!!! Muahahaha

Reecius March 9, 2013 9:20 am

Glad you had fun! That is why we do it, we’re looking forward to next year, too.

18. Buzzoff March 9, 2013 5:06 am

Can someone tell what the SOB List from the 16th Place looked like?

19. General Oadius March 9, 2013 4:55 pm

Doomscythes and Heldrakes are VERY powerful. I am holding my testes from retreating into my body cavity at the mere mention of them.

20. Travis March 10, 2013 10:39 am