Signals from the Frontline: Daemon Rumors, Pre-Order Special, BAO News

Signals from the Frontline

Signals from the Frontline

Signals from the Frontline: Daemon Rumors, Pre-Order Special, BAO News.

Press play to listen to the podcast.

11 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Daemon Rumors, Pre-Order Special, BAO News”

1. Eric February 19, 2013 10:27 am #

Since the demon codex release is that saturday of BAO…. will you allow the old demons codex to still be used or no demons at all?

2. Denied February 20, 2013 9:11 pm #

Minnesota is not that cold in November /shakes fist in mock rage/

3. Brendan February 21, 2013 4:17 am #

I just want to start by saying I love the cast and everything you guys do for the hobby. But a note on your rant. Ed from BFS(not your typically classy self calling him out on the cast) was not upset that he was left off the creation of the FAQ. His point was that no TO from the East coast (he specifically mentioned those from events with 100+ attendees Da boyz and NOVA) was involved/asked to be involved(so adding 1 or 2 more people not tons). While there may not have been discussion about leaving people out, not asking ammounts to the same thing. That said there is no reason that you need to ask anyone for input on FAQs for your own event, and I am currently using the FAQ you guys provided along with the NOVA faq while i work on creating the FAQ for my own events.

Reecius February 21, 2013 9:19 am #

Hey Brendan, thanks for writing. I wasn’t really calling him out, at least I didn’t intend to. I was more frustrated about the way some people were handling the whole thing and he was a vocal opponent, so he was at the forefront of my mind. I certainly wasn’t trying to start (another) fight. And yeah, use the document we provide how you choose. Our intent was never to force people to use it, and how could we? At any rate, thanks for your point of view, I may have come across not the way I had wanted to.

As for not having an East Coast rep, we honestly didn’t even think about it in those terms. It was just the idea of who was available and on the same page.

• Brendan February 21, 2013 10:46 am #

I kind of figured it was something like that, and from the sound of most people due to the rush to get it out for BAO, I’m sure not every Politically correct option was considered (infact it sounds like most of the others involved were thinking of it simply as a document for their event and not specifically for mass use.). In addition given the time commitment it might even be that they would have chosen not to participate, but to endorse the document none the less. Personally any group of people (you guys, NOVA, etc.) who want to put out a document with rules questions, and some common views on them is a great help to smaller TOs like myself (as a one man show there is only so much time I have to put into writing FAQs, tournament packets, scenarios etc.) and the ability to pick and choose the rulings I agree with is helpful (which is essentially 90% of the document, 5% I believe are incorrect, and another 5% I think are unnecessary/misplaced in the document.) is something that is of Great value to the community.

Reecius February 21, 2013 1:37 pm #

Yeah, exactly. That was the goal: to produce something anyone could use in whatever fashion they chose to. It bums me out that it got recieved poorly by some parties as it was meant to be a gift to the community and it always is a hard pill to swallow when a good deed gets thrown back in your face.

4. Brendan February 22, 2013 6:52 am #

I think sometimes it is the shock value of something like that (especially when you don’t agree with all the rulings), results in a reflex reaction of this is not good. I think sometimes if there was more transparency to these things, they would go down easier. But even with transparency some sects of our tiny hobby are likely to take their toys and go home throwing a tantrum.

Reecius February 22, 2013 9:06 am #

Yeah, some people like conflict and some just aren’t willing to compromise.

The issue with this thing being taken the wrong way by some folks was a multi-layered issue. For one, the original creators of it saw it as only an FAQ for their events. I was invited on mid project as I had stated my intent to create a universal tournament FAQ for anyone to use. Since we all had similar events, and they didn’t see a reason to have multiple, possibly contrdictory FAQs, they offered for me to come on with them and join forces. It wasn’t a situation where we were picking this guy or that, at least not to my knowledge. It was more of, hey, we’re all doing the same thing, if we team up to pool resources, it just makes sense.

Then, I was the first one to make this public and I presented it the way that felt natural: as a universal tournament FAQ which I had set out to make in the first place, and people took it the wrong way. There was never any malicious intent, it was done out of a sense of helping the community, that is why I got so mad when people made a stink of it as it felt like a slap in the face after all the hard work.

At the end of the day, we all just need to be grown-ups and get past it, though. It really isn’t that big of a deal when you look at it objectively.

5. Alex Yuen February 22, 2013 9:59 am #

i am not 100% on agreement with the drop pod rule

Reecius February 22, 2013 12:25 pm #

Me either, but I got voted down. It is RAW, but I do not like it at all.