Form Blazing Sword! Bay Area Open 2013 is a Go!

Ready to form Voltron! Activate interlocks! Dyna-therms connected. Infra-cells up; mega-thrusters are go! Form feet and legs; form arms and body; and I’ll form the head!

Voltron plays in the team tournament!

Yeah, that’s right everyone, Reecius here to announce the launch of the Bay Area Open 2013, March 1-3!

Like the mighty Voltron, this event is loved by good, feared by evil and ready to chop some nasty old Robeasts into little bits, Ki-Yi!

So, what is the BAO? It is the largest miniatures gaming tournament on the West Coast of the USA, what started Team Zero Comp and Frontline Gaming. Way back in yonder years a group of buddies that loved playing in 40K tournaments decided to throw their hat in the ring and run one for themselves. It turned out to be a good idea as the event was a big success and was what gave them the idea to open a Game Store and live the gamer life, full time!

So, the BAO is a very special event for us. We’ve really worked hard to make this the best year yet, and the feedback we’ve been getting so far has been just awesome. So many people are excited to come and it really means a lot to us to see the excitement building! We’ve got folks coming in from all over the USA and a few teams saying they’re coming in from out of the country! One of the awesome things about the BAO is the low price. Our tickets are very affordable and the Hotel (The Day’s Inn and Suites of Antioch) is super cheap ($69.99 per night for a double! Just tell them you’re there for the Bay Area Open) which makes the BAO the most affordable, major GT in the country. You can grab tickets here!

Prize support at our events is AWESOME! We give out entire armies, awards for best painted, best costumes, Renaissance Man, our very popular “Best Of” awards that go out to the player that does the best with each army, and our very awesome new Tournament Champion award, The Belt of Russ!

The Ultimate Warrior wants the Belt of Russ!

Yeah, you read that right! We’re making a super awesome belt of awesomness that will have the winner’s name on it, straight up WWF style! We will keep the belt on display at Frontline Gaming and every event’s winner will have their name added to the Belt of Russ! What’s not to love about that?!

So mark your calendars, the BAO 2013 is coming up, March 1-3 and is gong to be a super fun, can’t miss event!

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
46 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Douglas

HOWL!!! Wolfbrothers Inbound!!!

General Oadius
General Oadius
9 years ago

The Wolfbrothers will be there in force. As Reclusiarch of the chapter I vow that the Wolfbrothers will be the most victorious club in the entire nation.

SCP Yeeman
9 years ago

I take offense to that Oadius! Punishers inbound and ready to make some wolf pelts!

Rich with GSI
9 years ago

I’m in for the table contest! Can you enter multiple tables?

Douglas

Can you explain how the Scouring and Big Guns Never Tire missions work exactly,

tks

Axientar
Axientar
9 years ago

How quickly do you think that the Team Tournament tickets will sell out? I need to decide whether or not it’s worth missing school for this (and I don’t have enough $ on hand to get right now XD)

Also, is the $50 entry fee for the Team Tournament a fee for each player, or for the team?

Dave
Dave
9 years ago

Is that $69.99 a night you mentioned at the Ramada on Mahogany?

lbgsatx
lbgsatx
9 years ago

San Antonio contingent officially on board. We will be giving away a singles tournament ticket and a team spot at either our January or February Alamo City Wargamers event. Thanks for helping us grow the SA community, and we look forward to indoctrinating another Texan into the Team Zero Comp world…looking forward to it!

Mikey/Ethan
Mikey/Ethan
9 years ago

Where is it held? We’re hoping to go this year

Dave
Dave
9 years ago

Ahh, another member of the Wyndham rewards program. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who hasn’t stayed at a lot of hotels in the area that we do require a security hold and I believe they do to. Theirs is smaller than ours but hopefully they don’t get overbooked for the weekend.

Mercutioh
Mercutioh
9 years ago

SO sad, I traded away my BAO weekend to buy new Chaos toys instead. Jake and I will have to aim for 2014. He’s looking to be the youngest tourney player there. (also hopefully the youngest to ever win a match 🙂 ) Though if the narrative campaign is any indicator I am a HORRIBLE teacher of 40k LOL

9 years ago

You say you want to stick with 6th ed, follow the book, etc. Why the change to warlord traits? I see no reason for it whatsoever. Yes, most of the time they are useless. That’s how it should be.

D0A
D0A
Reply to  Hippesthippo

I dont know what their opinion is on why they change it but we have been using this in our games and it closes the gap between someone getting something beneficial and some one getting something completly useless.

Reply to  D0A

My point is that Frontline’s change to Warlord traits no longer affects all armies equally. I shouldn’t have to spell this out…

D0A
D0A
Reply to  Hippesthippo

how so? If your talking about CSM they still have the option to take warlord traits out of the rulebook just like everyone else.

Reply to  D0A

But why would they? The csm ones are better. And they have an inherent cost (the Champions of Chaos rule), in being able to access better warlord traits.

This rule gives every codex access to a better chance at good warlord traits.. For free.

May I ask, Reecius, what’s the magic number? How many codexes have to come out with their own warlord table before you change this rule? 2? 3? 4?

Reply to  Reecius

Not every warlord has “options,” though, now do they?
Silly comp… :p

SCP Yeeman
SCP Yeeman
Reply to  Hippesthippo

If you’re taking a Warlord with a specific trait, you shouldn’t really complain since you are knowingly taking them and you know ahead of time what they will be doing.

You are at a bigger advantage than most with that. Be grateful.

I personally like the ruling.

Slightly off topic, but will you guys be doing an FAQ for the tourny or is it going to be a “if it comes up we will rules on it,” type of thing?

Reply to  Hippesthippo

Scp: You’re missing the point. Chaos special characters have to PAY for that advantage.

Reply to  Reecius

Choosing which table you want to roll on is just as, if not more tactical than simply rolling a dice and taking the best option. You know this.

Reply to  Reecius

Shrugs.. Just generating discussion. I noticed you got rid of the psychic power roll change and wondered why you didn’t bring warlord traits back to “book normal,” as well.

Mostly, I hate Typhus’ warlord trait and it irks me when somebody else rolls up something gamechanging. Hahaha.

Reply to  Reecius

(In prior tournaments you allowed psychic powers to be rerolled if they couldn’t use them aka the genestealer buff.. Which I thought was stupid as it essentially buffed a single unit)

Gregorius42
9 years ago

Mercutioh: Nice post. Our Jake won one at Comikaze and he was 11 now 12. He has a great grasp of the rules and is learning some tactics now. Scary thought.

I have to say, he is ranked ahead of me on Rankings HQ, but there are A LOT of folks that can at that!

As Lori mentioned above we have tickets, hotel reservations and we are looking for to the BAO.

Douglas
9 years ago

Are there any banned units like the Achilles Land Raider (as in the past) or is everything defined in the allowed armies section:

Thanks!

Douglas
9 years ago

Not sure about FA etc, but how about the Lucius Pattern Drop-pod: does it allow dreadnoughts to assault the turn they arrive (from reserve…) ??

The Lucius has been banned at events I have attended that allow FW units.

Thanks again Reece!

Aegis
Aegis
9 years ago

I have a question on Objective markers. I know it states that 3 25mm and 2 40mm are required. But my question is based on “The Scouring” mission. Which require Objective Markers marked with 1, 2 and 3 Victory Points which are hidden and revealed prior to thestart of turn 1. Should these me made seperately and Identical, so as not to be able to model with an ability to cipher what marker is worth what amount of VP. Or is there a alternate method to be used such as a die roll or some such?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x