Chaos Double Header 1750

Video Battle Report

In this bat rep, we bust out the new Chaos against Tau and against another Chaos army! Frankie is trying out his Epidemus list and you can see the huge difference in effectiveness vs. shooty Mech list (Tau) and an infantry based melee army (Khorne Chaos). Enjoy!

24 Responses to “Chaos Double Header 1750”

1. Kingpin October 9, 2012 3:17 pm

That is a good question about the Prince. I want to say he can take it because I think he should be able to. But by RAW I think you are right that he can’t. I don’t even play Chaos but I hope they let him because that would be one mean Prince.

Reecius October 9, 2012 3:53 pm

That’s my exact thought process. I don’t think you can, but you should be able to for pure awesomeness! Haha

• Vidar October 9, 2012 7:34 pm

In the Daemon Prince army list entry it says you can take items from the Chaos Artefacts list 4 of 6 of which are weapons. RAW says you can take Artefacts, the weapons are artefacts.

Reecius October 9, 2012 8:15 pm

The argument is that since he doesn’t have the mark of the given god, he can’t take the weapons. It is purely semantics, but that is the game. People are also arguing that Abby can’t join marked units because he has every mark and violates the rule that says you can only join like marked units! Haha

2. steven morrow October 9, 2012 3:47 pm

daemon princes dont have to challenge. They dont have the champions of chaos rule.

Reecius October 9, 2012 3:52 pm

They do actually, as they are single model unit and must accept the challenge.

• steven morrow October 9, 2012 4:02 pm

then dont get into base to base with a character when you charge in. You can only accept or declare a challenge if at the beginning of the fight sub phase you are engaged. Engaged meaning in base contact with enemy or within two inches of friendly who is. If you come in right you are free to wail away on the unit on the charge. Harder to pull it off when you are in a unit but a daemon prince being one fast moving model can do it easy

• Son Of Dorn October 9, 2012 5:07 pm

The range on challenges is 6″ so I don’t think that would fly.

• steven morrow October 9, 2012 5:22 pm

I cant find any reference to distance in the challenge rules.

Reecius October 9, 2012 7:55 pm

Steven morrow is right, actually. You must be engaged in the combat in order to make or accept a challenge. It isn’t easy to avoid, but it is possible.

• Son Of Dorn October 9, 2012 9:41 pm

My bad. Thought I recalled something about a distance for swapping friendly models to make it into range for a challenge. Methinks I need a 2nd read through of the rules!

But from what I’m reading, it doesn’t appear to say anywhere that the challengee has to be engaged. Just says within the unit. pg. 64 I think.

Reecius October 9, 2012 7:27 pm

That is a good point! You definitely could use mobility to avoid those pesky challenges.

• steven morrow October 10, 2012 4:02 am

Not fool proof but might give you an edge on a charge. You could also hang back just out of 2 inches of front ranks while in a unit then engage in your initiative step. Most armies wont really care but chaos characters will have to get more deliberate in placement to get the most out of unit leaders.

3. steven morrow October 9, 2012 4:03 pm

I really want my prince to have that axe. Please FAQ please

4. Murphus October 9, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey guys, with regards to the warlord question, the warlord has to have the highest ld. The Prince is ld 9 unfortunately, so kharn’s gotta be the man.

The not being able to take the axe cause of not being marked is stupid. That and the limited plague zombie unit bothers me bigtime. I like the black mace though. AP2 wounds on 2’s AoE benefit.

Reecius October 9, 2012 8:14 pm

Ah, shit, the Prince is LD9, haha, good catch! I just assumed he was a 10. Odd that he isn’t…

But yeah, I agree. Phil writes the best books, but he always has little issues like this with rules. Hopefully they FAQ it.

5. Murphus October 9, 2012 10:15 pm

I also dont know if the one lord was toughness 6 before your DP hit him, but smashing with daemon weapons can really make instagibbing other characters pretty easy.

Reecius October 11, 2012 3:08 pm

He is Tough 6, yes, or I would have certainly smashed.

6. jim October 10, 2012 2:41 am

looking at the 2nd battle report

the deamon prince has mark of khorne so taking the axe that is khorne only isnt an issue. secondly on the wargear page the little numbers tell you wat can have wat for example number 5 means KHORNE only so their shouldnt be an issue its pretty clear.

• Murphus October 10, 2012 7:24 am

They dont have the mark of khorne though, which is beyond stupid. I wish Phil would’ve just allowed DP’s to be marked as per normal.

As a side note. I think frankie should try running a DP of nurgle, as Epidemius’ rule does state that daemons of nurgle add to the tally. Nurgle, Black Mace, Wings, and armour. Does clock in at 265 but can rack up that tally quickly. Swooping it has a 3+ cover save and should he be shot down, maintains it as long as hes behind cover of some kind. Hits on 3’s wounds on 2’s ap2 plus a cool bonus. Smash for lots of str 10 attacks.

7. Rantimus October 10, 2012 8:27 am

Bring a plague hulk and your laughing, can kill mechs and has a flaming wound on a +2 gets the tally up very quickly, plus the errata states that plague marines all wound on a +2 with noxious touch! That list is brutal.

Reecius October 11, 2012 3:09 pm

They wound on a 2+ against anything, anyway =) Strength 10!

8. GiantKiller October 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Great batreps! I’d love to hear more about what you guys are thinking each turn in terms of general strategy, target priority, etc. You may be tipping your hand to your opponent but these are playtest games anyway, and viewers may find it valuable!

Count me in the camp that believes a Khorne DP can’t take the Blind Axe ’cause he isn’t given the mark when he becomes a “daemon of Khorne”.

That said, I like the Black Mace better for a DP anyway. Slightly more expensive but it has no mark requirement, and with Smash for AP2 this weapon is beastly.

Reecius October 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Glad you liked them!

And yes, we will take more time to include thoughts on tactics and such, that is a good idea.