Signals from the Frontline: Chaos Release Date, HH Update, Comikaze Recap

Signals from the Frontline

Signals from the Frontline: Chaos Release Date, HH Update, Comikaze Recap

Press play to listen to the podcast!

12 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Chaos Release Date, HH Update, Comikaze Recap”

1. Chris September 18, 2012 5:07 am #

Enjoyed listening to this one,

Very interested in hearing about FW models in the tournament. My group are heading to a FW allowed tournament and we have spammed the sabres…

They are well underpriced

You say they are easy to kill as a quad gun but this isnt true

For example

2 autocannon platfroms with 2 extra men costs 64pts. Same as a quad and the guy required to shoot it.

So using the wall..

Having the 2 extra men stand in front. Thats 6 wounds required to remove both autocannon platforms (same fire power as quad gun).

Compared to the 2 wounds of the gun. Ok first 2 wounds are 4+ cover compared to 3+ armour and 4+ cover. But generally most things shooting at them will discount the armour.

4 more wounds is a lot. And with the ability to go to ground on the front two men to give you 2+ cover on the first 2 wounds is amazing. With the order to get back into the fight too.

Leadership is the big issue so you use lord commi as a ld 10 bubble and use the ld flag reroll on CCS.

They generally wont fail 10ld rerolls.

Tactics you have to use is to kill the commi and ccs. There is just no point shooting at the guns until you have as they are too hard to kill for their points.

But doing this allows them all to shoot at you.

We have played a lot of FW for a while and as soon as we saw the new artillery rules we knew these wound be the boss.

FW havent accounted for the change in rules even after they released the latest book after 6th ed. You can tell as to buy an extra man is just 2pts! Thats a t7 wound.

AND they are allowed to fire their lasgun if they still have enough men to fire the guns.

I am 100% sure they will have to repoint them as soon as possible. Or change the rules somehow for artillery. 5th ed rules were fine I thought!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Reecius September 18, 2012 1:02 pm #

Sabres are quite good, no doubt. But they aren’t game breaking (IMO) and I see no reason to disallow FW because of the perceived imbalance of one unit. They are certainly good, no doubt, but when you add in the cost of the Commissar, CCS, Aegis and the guns, it is quite expensive. And, they are quite easily killed in HtH.

I think it is good that there is effective AA on the table. I see that as a benefit! Time will tell how much it impacts the game though, of course.

• Chris September 18, 2012 1:27 pm #

CCS are always in as they do so much so thats not adding to your army. True about the commissar tho. But when you run 15 platforms his cost soon becomes deflated to very little. I am not at all saying FW should be banned. I am v much a fan of FW.

I am just not a fan of 6th ed artillery rules tbh.

Keep up the good pod casts 🙂

Reecius September 18, 2012 1:47 pm #

Ah, thanks for the clarification, and yes, when you are taking 15 platforms, you most certainly are mitigating the cost of the Commissar Lord! haha.

Thanks, we most certainly will keep it going with the podcasts!

2. mercutioh September 18, 2012 9:30 am #

Confirmed!!!! White Dwarf cover is up on Faeit 212.

Plus…..Now I need to figure out how to make a Push button MP3 for my Dragon/Hell Drake. just so I can hit the button and play FLASH…..AHHHHHH!

Reecius September 18, 2012 12:55 pm #

Haha, that would be awesome!

3. Vince September 18, 2012 10:31 pm #

Why do you guys keep saying I got lucky with the Masters of Ordnance, I twin-linked them with orders every time I fired them and the new blast strength rules make it much easier to do real damage with them.

I don’t know the math exactly, but Hit + 2d6 – BS4 you’re usually not going to scatter very far and the vehicles I was shooting at were very large, like the Ravagers and the Devilfish.

The one shot against Blood Angels where I wiped the squad was stone cold luck, that I will not deny.

Reecius September 19, 2012 1:01 pm #

We’re not saying you won because you got lucky, just that you were hitting things with the MoO a LOT, haha, and you are literally the only person I have ever met, ever, that has said that. I have never hit a damn thing with them!

Odds of hitting anything are pretty damn low. Even with twin linking them, you have a 50% chance of rolling a hit, and then the average scatter is a 7 on 2D6, which is 3″ with a BS4 modifier, and the template is 2.5″ in radius, meaning that you should miss most of the time you fire it.

• Vince September 19, 2012 5:50 pm #

The measurements are of course assuming your target can only be hit by the template if you hit the exact spot. I scattered even on most of the “hits”, but still did damage. A large blast is very forgiving against a large vehicle like a Raider if you scatter in the right direction.

Reecius September 19, 2012 6:08 pm #

True, and now that the entire template is full strength, they’ve gotten much better.

Like I said Vince, no one was putting you or your list down, just stating that you had things go your way and that is what it takes to win a 40K tournament (or any event where luck is involved). That’s just the truth, no matter how good you are, if you have bad luck, you don’t win.

But this was your weekend and you won, way to be!

• Vince September 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Nah I don’t mean I’m being persecuted for running them, I’m just confused. I definitely know luck was with me but I’ve always liked the idea of a 30 point Basilisk that can be twin-linked, and with the 6th ed blast rules I figured they’d get a little more love hahaha

Reecius September 19, 2012 8:33 pm

No man, you proved your point! Haha, proof is in the pudding! You made a list that was uniquely yours and you won with it, the critics can say what they like, you did it. That’s all there is to it. Keep on rocking the Basilisk in a T-Shirt! haha, if it works, it works. Funny thing is you may see people start copying you!