40K Hobby: Samurai Grey Knights Continued

A big thanks to Hulksmash for helping me with this list!

So, for those who don’t know, Hulksmash is a top notch player and a really cool guy, too. He’s also a friend of mine and was nice enough to help me refine my ideas for the Grey Knight list I have been in the brainstorming stage of building.

As I mentioned before, if an army isn’t effective on the table top, I just won’t play it. I have modeled up some really cool units before, but if they stink, I often just shelve them. As my hobby time is limited, I have to be realistic with myself as to what is worth my time.

With a project like this, I try to strike a balance between what inspires me artistically and what will work in the reality of the table top. Hulk’s list is top notch, he went 7-1 at NOVA and has won a number of local events. Plus, the aesthetic of it fits what I want to do with limited modifications.

Here’s the list:

Heavy Support
Dreadknight  H.Incinerator 1 160
Dreadknight  H.Incinerator 1 160
Dreadknight  H.Incinerator 1 160
Fortification
Totals 46 1750

So, a largely foot list. A solid core of 3 units of 10 Strikes geared up to be shooting units. That’s backed with 3 Dreadknights with Heavy Incinerators. At this points value, they’re a great buy. Plus, using the Gundam models to represent them will look AWESOME!

Where I deviate from Hulk, is in adding the Death Cults and the Storm Raven. The up-gunned Storraven is the most powerful gunship in the game as of now, and is great for shooting down other flyers or ground targets. Plus, it can deliver the Deathcults where they need to be. They don’t have assault grenades, unfortunately, but the benefits the Stormraven brings over the Land Raider is worth it, IMO.

Also, I decided to use these miniatures for the Crusaders in the Death Cult squad, I think they will be excellent!

I will only use the models with the staffs. They fit the aesthetic really well, and will help to make the units of Ninja and Samurai and giant robots consistent with the Fuedal Japanese setting.

What do you all think about the new list? Any flaws you see? I think it has an excellent mix of firepower, assault power, mobility and scoring ability.

15 Responses to “40K Hobby: Samurai Grey Knights Continued”

1. Son Of Dorn September 14, 2012 1:15 am #

It seems like a great idea, but allow me to temper your enthusiam for a moment. Since you admit that the viability of modeling/playing such an army is based on its real effectiveness, why not start out with an allied force and work your way up. I’d love to see these on the table before the entire force is complete, and it would give you viability to work them into other lists if they aren’t as good as they need to be. 🙂
    I have a similar project idea that I’ve always wanted to make, but don’t have the time or money to. I want to enjoy your project’s completion/success vicariously. 😀

Reecius September 14, 2012 8:15 am #

What allies would you suggest for Grey Knights?

• Son Of Dorn September 14, 2012 2:04 pm #

Hmmm… OK. You got me there. 🙂

• Elric Greywolf November 20, 2012 7:12 pm #

My brother plays Eldar, and as soon as Allies came out, my first thought was, “Now I can have Runes of Warding!” Which is what I immediately did, to great success. Keep the Farseer with Eldar Pathfinders behind the Aegis Line, with the Farseer manning the Quad! It’s been working pretty well for me, since the snipers (and Farseer) have a 2+ cover!

2. Greg September 14, 2012 2:56 am #

Only one flaw… You forgot the giant Godzilla model to count as Draigo.

Reecius September 14, 2012 8:13 am #

Hahaha, that would be classic!

3. Kralizak September 14, 2012 7:43 am #

looks awesome!!
    no changes to improve it off the top of my head, so good job!

Reecius September 14, 2012 8:13 am #

I am excited to start! Going to be such a cool army!

4. Junk September 14, 2012 8:29 am #

Thematically, I would ally the samurai knights with ninja-necrons; model a c’tan like an oni-spirit, throw in some black armored wraiths, stick an overlord in with a warscythe-dai-katana on an ornate chariot and cap off the list with a few skeletal samurai archers to represent your immortals.

For winningness, I’d supplement with a deathrain crisis suit HQ, some fire warriors, and a squad of 3 broadsides – that way you have some solid back line shooting to complement your front line knight army.

Reecius September 14, 2012 9:12 am #

Those are some cool ideas, for sure. There is so much you can do with this theme that it really opens up a lot of opportunities!

5. mercutioh September 14, 2012 9:50 am #

I’d say Imperial Guard with Korean flavored Hwacha based Whirlwinds and Chimeras.

6. mercutioh September 14, 2012 9:51 am #

OOO Or Ork Kamikaze Flyers! TORA TORA TORA WAAAAAAAAGH!

7. mercutioh September 14, 2012 10:01 am #

though totally temporally inaccurate of course 🙂

Samurai and Ninjas hated each other though. If I recall correctly. What about Tau as the Da’maiyo. For your Samurai to follow.

8. jy2
    jy2 September 14, 2012 10:36 pm #

While the raven is kind of fun, realistically, you need more troops. 30 strikers won’t cut it. 40 is better. Win by attrition.

Either that or at least fit in 1 3-man henchmen “grot” squad. They can be the “squires” to the samurais.

9. Elric Greywolf November 20, 2012 7:17 pm #

I think you might be lacking on the anti-tank. Sure, DKnights will pound armor in CC, but without teleporters they’ll be vulnerable walking up the field. Unless they were to deepstrike, all on the same turn… but even then, a Dark Eldar list with a bajillion lances and poisoned shots would eat two before they got to assault, leaving just one. The range on this list is relatively short, 24″ (30″ if you count moving before shooting).

A dfft question: are you giving the hammer to the Justicar (for challenges), or does he have a psycannon (for Precision Shots)?