40K: New FAQs, Hooooo!!

Wow! Should we call this 40K 6.1?

I just read all of the FAQs and wow, there are some big, big changes here. I feel they are almost all for the better even though it really kicks my Sons of AnOrky in the dingus! That’s OK though, Nob Bikers were OP as they were.

Frankie and I will go over the changes on the Podcast (will air on the Saturday episode) but suffice it to say that these are fairly dramatic changes.

Look Out Sir! no kicks wounds back to the nearest model from the character. No more spreading wounds around. That is HUGE.

Nob Bikers, Paladins and Wolf Guard are no longer Characters, which is as it should be. Unless they are leading a squad, they then become Characters again. Sanity.

A lot of little rules quibbles were fixed such as Swooping Flyers failing a grounded test losing the benefits of Swooping immediately.

Some of the other little tidbits that jump out (and there are many more, make sure to read them!):

1. Incubi Klaives are AP2!!!!
  2. Leman Russes are Heavy vehicles!! Awesome!
  3. Logan’s Axe can swing as a Frost BLADE, so it actually works again.
  4. Power from Pain works at the end of the phase, not immediately. Ouchers for DE.

And there are many more. Check them out, while a lot of lists got nerfed, in general I believe these changes are for the better for the game. Also, the fact that this was done so quickly is a great sign for the future. It’s almost as if GW is listening to us….

Kudos GW, we appreciate this and hope it is a sign of things to come! While not every question was answered, a lot were. Let’s keep this up!

26 Responses to “40K: New FAQs, Hooooo!!”

1. Amberclad87 September 7, 2012 12:18 pm #

I’m so excited! Tau got their target locks back, and disruption pods now give shrouding so long as the shot came from over 12″ away. So awesome!

Reecius September 7, 2012 1:04 pm #

Yeah, Tau got a big boost before the FAQ, now they’re REALLY good!

• Puretide September 9, 2012 6:24 pm #

I agree tau vehicle’s have got even better easy 2 get a 3+ cover save by moving and they get a 2+ cover behind an ageis defence line, I see tau as the army with amazing cover saves and I see it getting better when they have a new codex.

Reecius September 10, 2012 9:12 am #

Yeah, Tau are brutal now! They got a really big boost.

2. edwin September 7, 2012 12:36 pm #

The best part about the new faqs are that they are decently senseable and they balance. For GW this is a strange combination. It makes me happy.

Reecius September 7, 2012 1:06 pm #

Right? I hope this is a trend for the future!

3. Chris September 7, 2012 12:40 pm #

Only thing that I didnt see that I wanted to was a FAQ on the dark harliestar. With regards to the Archon getting fortune if in Eldar unit.

Apart from that it is a v good FAQ

Reecius September 7, 2012 1:05 pm #

It implies that you can’t target a DE unit, but I think they still benefit from the power if they are in an Eldar unit.

• Kasil September 7, 2012 1:32 pm #

From the Eldar FAQ:

Q: Do Dark Eldar allies count as Eldar for the Farseer psychic
        powers Fortune and Guide? (p28)
        A: No.

My expectation would be that this rules out mixed units also, but who knows.

Reecius September 7, 2012 1:48 pm #

Right, but the BRB says a character that joins a unit becomes a part of that unit for all rule purposes. And as the unit is an Eldar unit, it is a legal target for power. That’s my reading anyway. I wish they would have addressed the issue directly.

• bugsculptor September 10, 2012 7:11 am

So if you cast it on a mixed unit, the eldar in the unit get the re-rolls and the dark eldar allies don’t. Wouldn’t that make sense now?

Reecius September 10, 2012 9:09 am

I don’t think that is the way it works. So long as the unit was chosen from the Eldar book, the Dark Eldar models (per the BRB) become a part of that unit for all rules purposes. I blieve the FAQ refers to casting Fortune and Guide on Dark Eldar units.

• bugsculptor September 10, 2012 8:38 pm

I wish they’d addressed it directly too. Ruling that wound allocation in close combat must be applied to rank and file troops before characters seemed like a natural solution to me.

I believe the intention of that FAQ is to stop fortuned Archons and that the game is more fun without wound allocation deathstars. Special rules conferred on a unit are not conferred on the character unless the wording of the rule specifies it (p39) and joining a unit does not change the type of a character, either movement type or unit type. An Archon is still a Dark Eldar and not an Eldar unit. If DE units can’t be fortuned, they shouldn’t get fortuned by accident, or by deliberate exploit, even if there is some ambiguity in the wording of the rules.

4. Son Of Dorn September 7, 2012 1:07 pm #

Wow. They actually answered the most frequently asked questions! Truely we are in a new golden era!

@Aberclad87: Yeah. And since skimmers have Jink, if you move at all, then you are getting a 3+ cover from Jink and Shrouding 😀

5. joedrache September 7, 2012 1:47 pm #

and marker lights knock flying demons out of the sky! hee hee

• Son Of Dorn September 7, 2012 3:15 pm #

Well if a lasgun can, then shouldn’t a marker light be able to? 😉

Reecius September 7, 2012 3:19 pm #

I see what you did there!

6. Brian September 7, 2012 4:48 pm #

Id like to get your general opinon as well on one faq I read its says that a unit using a scout redeployment can assualt on the second half of turn one.. do you guys feel this applies to an infiltrating unit or do I need to wait for another faq

Reecius September 7, 2012 5:00 pm #

Yes, we believe this sets precedent for infiltrate as well. Both rules use the exact same verbiage.

7. Alarum September 7, 2012 5:38 pm #

No more jink saves for Monoliths. As it should be.

• Alarum September 7, 2012 5:41 pm #

I also heard at a GW in Aus that they are saying Abaddon is still ap3 even though daemon weapons are now ap 2. It just goes to show that you can’t trust GW staff for rules interpretations. All in all an awesome set of FAQs.

Reecius September 8, 2012 11:10 am #

Yeah, and the new Chaos dex is only weeks away, so it’s no biggie.

8. mercutioh September 8, 2012 2:51 pm #

Ghaz is BACK baby!

Reecius September 8, 2012 5:11 pm #

Looks like he still doesn’t grant fleet though, which is a bummer.

9. mercutioh September 8, 2012 8:06 pm #

Relentless meganobs are kind of awesome though, you have to admit

Reecius September 9, 2012 11:40 am #

That is pretty dang cool, I have to agree!