40K Video Bat Rep: TAC Marines vs. Draigowing and Dark Harliestar: 1500pts

Video Battle Report

Two really fun games with the TAC (Take All Comers) Marines going heads up with Draigowing and Frankie’s Harliestar (this was one of the most fun games I’ve played in ages!).

31 Responses to “40K Video Bat Rep: TAC Marines vs. Draigowing and Dark Harliestar: 1500pts”

1. Son Of Dorn August 18, 2012 8:52 pm #

Wow. Two victories against power lists with Vanilla Marines. It feels like 2008 all over again! Great games, guys! 😀
    On the quad gun issue, I don’t think it should count as a kill point. Unlike a transport, your opponent can use it against you. Kinda says it’s nobody’s when it’s on the field. Also, the Bastion doesn’t count for a kill point if you make it ungarrisonable… How about this, I’ll add it to the FAQ list 😉
    Did you guys roll for night fighting in the first game? I saw you had to spotlight in the second one, but it never came up in the first game.
    I gotta get me one of those Stormtalons! It was awesome to see it supressing everything. Also, when you do those hover shots, they cause pinning, too. 🙂

2. jy2
    jy2 August 18, 2012 10:00 pm #

It’ll be funny to TIC off all those pundits with your TAC marines by stepping on their TOEs.

Nice work, Reece. Now I expect you to win your next tournament with them. 😉

Reecius August 19, 2012 2:46 pm #

I see what you did there! Hahaha.

And thanks! Been getting lucky with them, but they are quite good. I’ll finish painting them and bring them to an event for sure!

3. Axientar August 18, 2012 10:09 pm #

Don’t do Warp Dust, kids! XD

This TAC marine list is really awesome, looks fun at a glance, I hope it serves you well at the next tournament! 🙂

Reecius August 20, 2012 9:03 am #

Thanks! And yes, I think I will bring them!

4. joe drache August 18, 2012 11:02 pm #

game 2 was hilarious. you highlighted the delicacy of fielding both the balanced list and the cheese.
    reece, what do the tacs have for dedicated assault?
    note: the aegis has to be comtiguous

• Douglas of Wolfbrothers August 19, 2012 3:09 am #

Aegis does not have to be comtiguous per the book. Just each piece touching another. Its a NOVA (and others) ruling otherwise.

Reecius August 20, 2012 9:04 am #

So far I have no assault really, beyond the Dread, but he usually dies rather fast. I use Combat Tactics to stay our of assault. Glad you liked it!

5. ScouseMatt August 19, 2012 4:24 am #

What a great list. Not only does it seem to play well, but even in terms of modeling and painting it looks like it’d be a fun army to collect, a nice cross section of the whole SM miniature range.

Reecius August 20, 2012 9:03 am #

Yes it is great fun! I am thoroughly enjoying playing it.

6. Darthdiggler August 19, 2012 6:55 am #

I think you are getting incredibly lucky with the dread. I mean that’s twice you needed 6’s to pen followed by another 6 to destroy your target. That being said I understand the new power a dropping unit can have since the enemy can not go all reserve. I also understand you are trying to threaten foot units with the double heavy flamer dread, which is doable. A better unit to accomplish this is the Furioso. A dropping Furioso with a frag cannon gives you 2 str 6 rending flamer templates AND a meltagun on an armor 13 frame. That seems to be far superior to the vanilla dread.

However to get the Furioso you need to play BA and you lose combat tactics. I understand the power of combat tactics and I also do not think it is an even trade to lose combat tactics for the Furioso drop podding dread.

• Son Of Dorn August 19, 2012 12:48 pm #

An Ironclad is also a nice compromise, but a little spendier. 🙂

Reecius August 19, 2012 2:38 pm #

Yeah, I’ll try it though, he brings more to the table.

• Son Of Dorn August 19, 2012 10:52 pm #

Those 2 HK missiles are a nice alpha strike option if you can spare the points. And with ap2 being +1 on the damage table, that chainfist is now the option of choice. And those frag assault launchers are amazing! Frag grenades and def. grenades. They give you stealth within 8″ now! Getting shot at by meltagun? Now 6+ cover in the open and 4+ if you popped smoke! 😀

Reecius August 20, 2012 8:58 am

Ah, good point! I had not even considered that.

Reecius August 20, 2012 9:03 am #

No doubt, I have been getting lucky. And I agree that a Furioso would be better, but I was working with that I had in the Vanilla Dex.

Combat tactics is awesome, but having fast vehicles, Furiosos, FnP, and Meph are all worth the trade, IMO. I plan on using a Baddab War character in the list (we’re allowing them in our events) to really crank up the synergy, too.

7. conzago August 19, 2012 2:03 pm #

Just a thought- You can modify the short code link to youtube, so that people can watch the video fullscreen from this site, and not have to go to youtube.

Reecius August 19, 2012 2:35 pm #

That’s a good idea, I’ll look into it. thanks!

8. Puretide August 19, 2012 2:26 pm #

I would love to see you guys playing a tau army vs your vanilla marines or one of your deathstar lists because people I play don’t play lists like these and would like to see how tau handle it.

Reecius August 19, 2012 2:37 pm #

Tau are actually the only army we don’t have at the shop, but I’d love to get my hands on one. Love the models.

• Puretide August 19, 2012 3:40 pm #

Thats a shame waiting for the new codex before you collect them lol

• Son Of Dorn August 19, 2012 10:53 pm #

No, collect them before new box sets drive prices up! 😀 I’m sitting on 2500 points that I picked up used for $100.

9. Living Still August 19, 2012 3:03 pm #

Any ideas on how to expand to 1750-2k with the TAC list or do you think 1500 is the sweet spot for it? It looks like a lot of fun to play, but man I can’t help thinking that it will get toasted by many armies (IG especially). So far it has continued to shine for you though so maybe it really is TAC. Either that, or you are just damn good. I’d be fumbling all over the place with that list. No redundancy…. what?!?!?! lol

Reecius August 20, 2012 9:01 am #

I think this army would scale up just fine, actually. At 1750 I’d add a Thunderfire Cannon, and another Stormtalon most likely. At 2K, I’d add an assault unit, either Assault Marines or Terminators. I look forward to playing the list more, I haven’t had this much fun with Marines since 4th ed.

10. J Mac August 20, 2012 11:03 pm #

“He didn’t charge my Draigowing for some reason. Unbelievable.”

Too funny!

11. Shep August 21, 2012 8:29 pm #

It seems like the only thing that is really degenerate right now is flyer spam.

I’ve been “surviving” draigo and eldrad in the book missions with standard tyranid builds by tarpitting them. You are surviving them with combat tactics and just running away.

The games I’ve been playing with 3 or less flyers have all been fun and close. That goes for deathstar on deathstar, deathstar versus MSU, and MSU versus MSU. Flyer spam is really just a list-check. Do you have a list that can handle it? Ok now play this stupid dice rolling game and see if you win, can’t handle it? Get ready for a trip to the dentist’s office. 🙂

Reecius August 22, 2012 10:29 am #

I totally agree. limited Flyers is awesome fun, but massed Flyers is about as fun as getting kicked in the nuts.

You have been tar pitting Eldar? The Harlies have Hit and Run, which we’ve found makes them damned hard to pin down unless you can double bubble wrap them! Haha.

But Gants are AWESOME for pinning down powerful units, that is one of the reasons why Bugs are so damned good now!

12. OnboardG1 August 22, 2012 2:49 am #

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe ASKNF marines can’t be swept. They just get relocked in combat, so really there’s no reason not to use combat tactics to leggit unless you’re pinned against a board edge.

Reecius August 22, 2012 10:26 am #

Yes, that is correct. You always want to bail if it will be your turn next, but if it is there turn next, you may want to stay locked.