Signals from the Frontline: Golden Throne GT Report

Signals from the Frontline

Signals from the Frontline: Golden Throne GT Report

Press play to listen to the podcast.

22 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Golden Throne GT Report”

1. mandragora August 7, 2012 1:36 am

@Reecius You used Fuegan, Vect and Eldrad in a 1500 points tournament? WOW. What else did you include in your list?

Reecius August 7, 2012 9:24 am

It wasn’t my list, it was Frankie’s. He used 10 Harlies with the characters, 2×3 War Walkers with scatter lasrers, DE warriors in a Venom, and 3×3 Eldar Jet Bikes. Full on Deathstar list.

2. Mike August 7, 2012 4:41 am

….truks can drive through walls?

Reecius August 7, 2012 9:23 am

It was a ruin, units can pass through the walls of a ruin with a terrain check. I passed my dangerous terrain check.

3. Short August 7, 2012 6:18 am

My God this was a lot of whining ! I’m 20 min in and you guys are still whining about the GT rules decision. You even whine about last mission being KP. So in a 8 games tournement – players shouldn’t expect a KP-Mission…

Reecius August 7, 2012 9:17 am

So, what do you call whining about whining? A whinplosion? hahaha.

We were explaining our reactions to the event and some of the things that happened. I don’t feel we were whining but offering our critiques and reflections on our first 6th ed tournament. You are free to see it however you want though. And we didn’t say there should be no KP missions, only that it isn’t a good mission for the finals in our opinions.

• Elios Harg August 7, 2012 12:51 pm

I kind of agree with that point. Perhaps in the finals, Rob should run more neutral missions, like whatever seize ground is called now (Crusade, I think?) at 3 objectives for both rounds (too many objectives skews the slider too far in the direction of horde style armies or MSU).

This makes the playing field fairly even whereas other missions are either skewed toward one army type or another to some degree or too prone to draws (Capture and Control).

Reecius August 7, 2012 4:48 pm

I agree. The semi-finals were objective missions and both came down to the last toss of the dice, they were great games! KP can just be really lopsided.

4. Captn Dees August 7, 2012 8:27 am

I also had a great time. I narrowly escaped having to place Reece turn one as we were both paired with a friend on our ‘not the first game list’ oddly.

I still got two Zero Comp players. I’m still wondering why they heck I stole the initiative from Will in our game (we tied). Then a loss to jy2.

Aside from the terrain and the late start day 1 I thought it was definitely a great time!

Reecius August 7, 2012 9:11 am

Yeah, I am glad we didn’t play each other again as we both know how that game goes. Although, with Doom, it may have been a different story (assuming your Bikeseer got through my Bikeseer, hahaha!).

• Captn Dees August 7, 2012 9:20 am

Nah doom would not have been enough (and yes dueling farseers is hilarious). At least it wouldn’t have been the relic.

Actually this tournament in retrospect I really missed nullzone. That would have been helpful against Will and jy2. Maybe not enough to change those games… but it is something I’m thinking about again.

But Nob Bikerz are the death of me!

Reecius August 7, 2012 10:18 am

Yeah, Nob Bikers vs. pretty much any other Bikers isn’t going to end well.

5. Elios Harg August 7, 2012 9:49 am

Just wanted to point a couple things out. The Coteaz call was correct: it does require line of sight which can’t be drawn from inside the transport other than using a weapon.

Also, apparently you guys have been screwing yourselves on first blood in purge the alien… It says that you get “2 points in total” one for being first blood and one for being a kill point. Same goes for warlord, scouring and big guns. It was just clarifying that you get both victory points.

Reecius August 7, 2012 10:16 am

Hahaha, then I wouldn’t have lost the game I lost. That is funny. I almost always look rules up when I am even partially uncertain of what it says but this time I didn’t. Oh well, that’s my fault.

It wasn’t the ruling on the Coteaz call that we thought was wrong, it was the timing. The guys were already playing it that way and it essentially decided the game. I would have let it ride, but also like I said, we didn’t have any hard feelings on it.

• J Mac August 8, 2012 1:33 am

See, I almost want to agree with you Ellos Harg, but that was in the last 5th ed FAQ, which they took down from the site. Now there is no FAQ out there clarifying the legality of that ruling. Just because it used to be that way doesn’t mean that’s how we play it.

6. Paul Cornelius August 7, 2012 2:50 pm

I’m probably doing something stupid, but this episode isn’t showing up on my iTunes.

Reecius August 7, 2012 4:48 pm

Try a different browser, I just tested it and it works for me in Chrome.

7. Douglas of Wolfbrothers August 7, 2012 5:50 pm

I would be particularly interested in Frankies final list for the GT or a summary if you all dont mind.

8. Douglas of Wolfbrothers August 7, 2012 5:54 pm

Dont know how I missed that, thanks anyways lol (2nd post it looks like…)

9. Turn 7 Wargaming August 8, 2012 7:41 pm

You mentioned that you were going to kill the quad gun for first blood. I tried the same thing round two and was informed that it is not a unit. What is your justification for counting it as first blood?

Even if fortifications were ‘units’, the Aegis line is the selection, the gun is just an upgrade that to my knowledge can’t be destroyed.

Reecius August 9, 2012 1:32 pm

How is it not a unit? I suppose it just comes down to how you define it. So a Fortress of Redemption isn’t a Kill Point? That doesn’t seem fair as it can cost as much as a Land Raider, it shoots, and provides a huge benefit for the owning player. I would say that any fortification that can be destroyed counts as a unit for KP and First Blood Purposes.

• Turn 7 Wargaming August 10, 2012 7:32 am

If someone challenged you on it what would you use as the rules justification for that. It says no where that fortifications are a unit, and FB and KP are only for killing units.

I hope you are right for reasons you list, which opens up another issue, while most fortifications have destruction rules if you check 104 where it outlines defense lines and walls/barricades, there is no rules on how to destroy them or any battlefield debris. Does this mean it is a KP that can never be won? Killing the gun is not enough as that i just an upgrade that is part of the defense line.