In this episode Frankie and Reece discuss: Colossals Pre-Order Special, Heavy Gear, 6th Ed Tips.

Press play to listen to the podcast!

28 Responses to “Signals From the Frontline: Colossals Pre-Order Special, Heavy Gear, 6th Ed Tips”

1. Aervyper July 10, 2012 5:32 am #

I know you guys are in a tight place. Why can’t you guys build your own senarios, for tournaments. You could build a gamers pdf to send to all people that attend your event. You could also test it with your viewers here and on bell of lost souls. I also seen a cool idea over at beaky con. They play six games at the tournament. He is allowing you to pick six warlord abilities, one for each of the games, each ability is different. You do not have to change the whole rules. I think you guys building a Pdf will save you in the tournament scene. You guys put so much time into it, and this would be a good way to make a long standing help to a lot of players.
    TTFN

Reecius July 10, 2012 12:16 pm #

That is what will most likely happen, and yeah, we would LOVE your guys’ input. I think Steve’s idea with Beakycon is a good one. We were thinking about letting the guys roll a die and then choosing that numbered ability on any of the three Warlord traits. We know there’s a solution in there, we just have to find one.

Thanks for the good ideas!

• Aervyper July 10, 2012 1:54 pm #

Why not make a podcast on this. Write out your plans and ideas. Another idea that I had was if you have a six round tournament. Then why note make mission three and four Hammer and anvil missions. At the start you and your opponent on each table turn their table 45degrees. This will mean that the tables only need to be moved twice in the entire length of the event.

Round 1,2,5,6
        ——–
        ——–
        ——–
        ——–
        Round 3,4
        ////////
        ////////
        ////////
        ////////

I truly have hope that if you post all the things you want fixed u will be amazed at the feedback you get. At the very least it will be an upbeat podcast where small changes may lead to a better tournament scene. This is coming from a person that has only been to three tournaments and one of them i actually played at.
        TTFN.

Reecius July 10, 2012 2:25 pm #

Yeah, that is a really good idea. The feedback from our listeners could really help us to tackle some of the sticky issues we’re facing.

The 45 degree thing isn’t a bad idea, actually. We can do it at the BAO because we use table toppers, but at other events they can’t actually rotate the tables due to the way they are put down (not always a single table under the playing surface).

I am confident that we can find a solution that makes people happy. Thanks for staying positive while we were not.

2. Nuwisha July 10, 2012 7:52 am #

The Sound Quality of this current Podcast is soooooo much better than the past ones. Very crisp and clear.

Also Happy Birthday Frankie!

Reecius July 10, 2012 11:32 am #

Thanks! Frankie got well and truly shmamered last night! haha. Glad you enjoyed the podcast.

3. 6th Street Alan July 10, 2012 10:44 am #

Tournaments will be beer and pretzels for the next few years guys.

I have loved hearing the last few pod casts.

For me the only thing that I like so far about 6th is the insane amount of list options and the fun behind building lists. Which, I see you guys have been very busy with.

Keep up the good work !

Reecius July 10, 2012 2:12 pm #

We’re going to try and find a way to make it happen!

I think you may be right, though, Alan.

We’re loving the options too, our crazy little brains are going bananas with the combinations! It is a lot of fun to go crazy with allies.

Thanks man, we appreciate your support and again, congratz on WargamesCon!

4. Dahlvash July 10, 2012 11:13 am #

Hi, i really love your pod-casts and i usually listen to them while painting. The sound quality on this pod-cast was spot on by the way.
    My main complaint is almost every article and pod-cast from Font Line in the past month or so has been whiny and repetitive. We get it, you don’t like some of the rules. Please don’t take your rants on on your listeners. Its not fun or enjoyable to listen to.

Reecius July 10, 2012 11:30 am #

You aren’t the only person saying that, and we hear you. Sorry that we have let our negativity spill over into some of our media. We have just been really disappointed by some of the rules (obviously) and we’ll stow it. It’s time to shift our thinking to solutions and making the most of what we’ve got instead of harping on the negatives. Thanks for being blunt with us, it’s appreciated.

Glad you thought the sound quality has improved, we’ve been trying to get that up and it’s nice to see it’s working!

• Dahlvash July 10, 2012 11:56 am #

I do hope so, I enjoy your site a lot!
        And yeh, the sound was great. Sometimes it would sound like a helicopter was in the room!

Reecius July 10, 2012 2:11 pm #

Yeah, that is when the dang bus goes by the store, it is so close it creates havoc with the mic. There’s unfortunately not much we can do about it. We just try and time our Podcast to not go on when the bus goes by!

• 6th Street Alan July 11, 2012 11:43 am #

Hey many I love the complaining since it makes me realize I am not alone. I literally listen and I find myself nodding for like 20 minutes since I agree with everything. Talking to myself like: “Oh, yea they figured out that loop hole too….I wonder how many will catch that?”

You guys are disappointed along with most of the tournament crowd!

Remember that you guys can’t please everyone and I totally understand it. Nothing else is worth talking about, except all the stuff that they screwed up on. Thats the news!

Its like if there was another “War in Iraq” and the media covered that war for like 3 months. Would you write FOX and say: “Hey I am sick of you complaining about this war please move on to some other topic”. Dude thats the news!

You guys are awesome!

Reecius July 11, 2012 12:08 pm #

That’s how we fell, too. But I don understand that it’s not fun to listen to people bitching all the time, too. We need to do what we can to make the most of it. I think that we can still have a fun, healthy tournament scene if we tweak this system a little bit. It just could have been a LOT better.

Thanks for the support, brotha!

5. Chris July 10, 2012 1:50 pm #

Hey Reece, I am looking forward to reading the article of BOLS, could you put up a link here when its done?

Now I have been studying the book a lot and I think its ok apart from one thing that just really really annoys me. Wound allocation.

From reading your article last week on how positioning very hard to kill characters in a unit to make the unit nearly unkillable really got to me.

I have thought of something what maybe GW meant to mean in the BRB…. Look out sir’s. maybe they arent optional. And they wanted you to always take them.

Obviously RAW doesnt do that but I have been thinking IF it was then I think wound allocation would be decent.

Thoughts?

I am thinking about creating a campaign for my gaming club and making that a house rule. So you always have to take LOS unless in a challenge. If you could see any downside to this please let me know. I thought maybe it could work in your tournament(s) as well?

Cheers

Chris

Reecius July 10, 2012 2:32 pm #

I will certainly put the article up here, as well.

Yeah, there are a few good solutions to Look Out, Son! floating around out there.

I think that would help, or the other solution I liked was that if you put a wound on a model with Look Out, Son! then you have to do continue to put wounds on that model until he’s dead. Easy Peasy.

• Chris July 10, 2012 3:00 pm #

Cheers Reece

If you continue to put wounds on the model until he’s dead it still doesnt stop the unkillable units due to hardcore leaders?

e.g. Necrons 2+/3++ with reroll cryptek in the unit or the eldar/de unit you came up with etc. Or Typhus and T5 feel no pain IC etc.

As you would still have to put in about 350 bolter rounds to kill off the reroll 2+ guys 🙁

If you always do LOS then I see no cheese you can do

Reecius July 10, 2012 3:20 pm #

Good point. We’ll have to come up with something though, or just allow it to happen and try and get around it with maneuver. Either way it’s going to be a serious pain in the ass.

• Chris July 10, 2012 3:32 pm

I will let you know if we come up with any issues during our campaign when making all characters ALWAYS take LOS.

Reecius July 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah please do, the more data the better.

6. Dave July 10, 2012 3:06 pm #

Yup, the Rhulic fans are really waiting for General Ossrum to hit the field.

Reecius July 10, 2012 3:13 pm #

Do you know his rules? I am stoked for a new Caster!

7. Travis July 10, 2012 4:47 pm #

I have heard you say that Tyranids are gonna be banana’s under the 6th ed rules a few times now Reecius. I am a very new player still learning and picking up models for the game and am wondering if you guys could maybe throw out a primer to a tournament list of 1500 point Tyranids for 6th ed please?

Also I wanted to say thank you very much for the work you guys do with your site. As a new player I have found your podcasts and video battle reports super super helpfull.

Reecius July 10, 2012 5:22 pm #

First off, glad you like our site! That’s awesome as it takes a ton of work.

Secondly, we have a video bat rep going up tonight with a solid Nid list at 1500pts. It is a bit gimicky, but fun and will do well against most armies (JotWW can be pretty rough).

But I will be writing a Nid article soon so that will help a lot (I hope!). Also, listen to what Janthkin on DakkaDakka says about Nids, he’s one of the best Nid players out there, and really knows his stuff.

8. Travis July 10, 2012 4:55 pm #

Also on a second note of the first question do you think that Harpies are auto includes now in 6th?

Reecius July 10, 2012 5:20 pm #

I would actually say no fairly emphatically on that one, and the reason why is that everyone is going to be bringing anti-flyer defense and with only a 4+ save, the Harpie will get one-shotted really easily by a Quad Gun or Hydra. Also, their standard kit means they can’t shoot other flyers. With venom cannons they can, but not very effectively. Harpies could work, but IMO they aren’t worth the points.

• Travis July 10, 2012 5:51 pm #

Awesome thanks so much. Looking forward to your upcoming articles.